Advice sought for 2021 deer

ReinerDude

I am a NR with 18 points and was hoping some of y'all might offer some good advice for me on a deer hunt. My situation: I was lucky enough to have gotten to hunt 44 and take a couple of nice bucks there in the past and I never intended to build up as many points as I have, but I kept building points trying to get to hunt 44 again. I resigned myself to the fact that I may not catch up to 44 and figured I would probably use my points toward a Unit 66 3rd or 4th tag (I have hunted elk 1st season there before). Well, I don't even have enough points for that now. My question is do you guys think I should cash in this year 2nd season in 44 or 66, or continue to build up for a 3rd or 4th tag another year? I hate to waste points on a second season hunt, but I'm wondering will later years 3rd or 4th be any better? Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts y'all might have to offer.

If you have time to scout a unit and find a big buck to hunt, then the 2nd might be the way to go.
If no scouting, or very little, then a later hunt is probably the better option.
My dad was in 44 on the 2nd last year, as well as a friend, and neither were impressed. Neither killed anything. Both hunted 7+ days. Of course both saw good bucks in that 180 range, but nothing real special. And, they got some good snow to improve the hunting.
No info on 66.

If you have lots of time to scout this summer, I’d consider an early rifle or muzz hunt as well.

If you have time to scout a unit and find a big buck to hunt, then the 2nd might be the way to go.
If no scouting, or very little, then a later hunt is probably the better option.
My dad was in 44 on the 2nd last year, as well as a friend, and neither were impressed. Neither killed anything. Both hunted 7+ days. Of course both saw good bucks in that 180 range, but nothing real special. And, they got some good snow to improve the hunting.
No info on 66.

If you have lots of time to scout this summer, I’d consider an early rifle or muzz hunt as well.
Founder, thanks for the information and advice. I guess have some thinking to do, but good advice and insight helps makes things clearer. I appreciate your thoughts and time!

Since you are familiar with the unit, what about early September rifle unit 44?

Of course, you can’t hunt the whole unit on that hunt. Just the wilderness

Since you are familiar with the unit, what about early September rifle unit 44?

Of course, you can’t hunt the whole unit on that hunt. Just the wilderness
Thanks Txhunter, to be honest I never considered that but that gives me something to ponder. Thanks for the suggestion

Unit 70 4th season isn’t worth lots of points.

And early rifle in 44 only takes 7 points. And only 1 point for 44 muzzleloading (at the same time as the early rifle). So not worth your points either.

Last edited:
Honestly you’re in a pickle that a lot of people are... I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again there’s not a unit in this entire state worth even close to those amount of points in this day in age. Most know that I spend a lot of time in 44 (I’ve grown up in it and it’s 30 minutes from my house) but even for those of us that know it like the back of our hands it’s always a difficult beast. I could compare dumping an insane amount of points on a 3rd or 4th season tag in 44 as pushing all in on the final table at the World Series of poker with pocket 4s. You’re either going to hit a grand slam but the odds are you’re going to fall flat on your face. If it WERENT me and I was looking for a enjoyable hunt where I would have the chance to look over a good amount of bucks and have a realistic chance and killing something over the 180 inch mark I’d be playing ball in 66.

just my .02 take it for what it’s worth

Coloradoboy

Unit 70 4th season isn’t worth lots of points.

And early rifle in 44 only takes 7 points. And only 1 point for 44 muzzleloading (at the same time as the early rifle). So not worth your points either.
Anyone who’s ever done that 44 early rifle hunt will tell you it is a damn tough hunt. A fair majority of the big deer in the unit don’t live in the high basins in the summer or even the actual unit for that matter in September.

Honestly you’re in a pickle that a lot of people are... I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again there’s not a unit in this entire state worth even close to those amount of points in this day in age. Most know that I spend a lot of time in 44 (I’ve grown up in it and it’s 30 minutes from my house) but even for those of us that know it like the back of our hands it’s always a difficult beast. I could compare dumping an insane amount of points on a 3rd or 4th season tag in 44 as pushing all in on the final table at the World Series of poker with pocket 4s. You’re either going to hit a grand slam but the odds are you’re going to fall flat on your face. If it WERENT me and I was looking for a enjoyable hunt where I would have the chance to look over a good amount of bucks and have a realistic chance and killing something over the 180 inch mark I’d be playing ball in 66.

just my .02 take it for what it’s worth

Coloradoboy
Hey Coloradoboy, just to let you know, I sent you a private message before I posted this thread. I appreciate your insight and previous help. I'm curious, since the second season is as late as I can draw in 66 this year (I'm probably only a point or two off from 3rd season) would you hunt second or try for a third season hunt next year?

I think some pretty good bucks will fall in the second season this fall. It is as late as previous 3rd seasons. For that reason, I think you will see some serious point creep in 2nd seasons for units like 44 and 66

I think some pretty good bucks will fall in the second season this fall. It is as late as previous 3rd seasons. For that reason, I think you will see some serious point creep in 2nd seasons for units like 44 and 66
Agreed. I’ve got a bunch of points and need to decide myself what to do. Been waiting for my opportunity in WY to run out and then do an early in CO, but the later dates have me wondering if I should do something this year. OR, roll the dice on getting lucky on another reissue. ???

Agreed. I’ve got a bunch of points and need to decide myself what to do. Been waiting for my opportunity in WY to run out and then do an early in CO, but the later dates have me wondering if I should do something this year. OR, roll the dice on getting lucky on another reissue. ???
Good luck with your decision Founder

Hey Coloradoboy, just to let you know, I sent you a private message before I posted this thread. I appreciate your insight and previous help. I'm curious, since the second season is as late as I can draw in 66 this year (I'm probably only a point or two off from 3rd season) would you hunt second or try for a third season hunt next year?
I’m not the best about keeping up with PM’s I apologize. I think point creep is going to be absolutely insane this year with the season dates that are coming. Doing a third season hunt would be my personal preference between 2nd, 3rd and 4th. If the stars align 4th season is going to be a merely pick up the scraps from 3rd season hunt.

I’m not the best about keeping up with PM’s I apologize. I think point creep is going to be absolutely insane this year with the season dates that are coming. Doing a third season hunt would be my personal preference between 2nd, 3rd and 4th. If the stars align 4th season is going to be a merely pick up the scraps from 3rd season hunt.
Thank you Coloradoboy, I appreciate your help!

Just remember that they are switching back to posting the reissues once a week and then putting them on sale at the same time every week in a free for all.

The reissue process is changing this yr w tags a preview list every Tuesday and then sold on Wednesday. So no more random tags every 7 minutes so prolly won’t be getting anymore tags. Kinda sad I know

I hope everyone burns their points this year (later dates, doom and gloom forecasts for deer) and starts hunting New Mexico!
In seriousness, it would be hard to justify building points as a NR anywhere anymore... Good luck to all.

The reissue process is changing this yr w tags a preview list every Tuesday and then sold on Wednesday. So no more random tags every 7 minutes so prolly won’t be getting anymore tags. Kinda sad I know
Maybe. Maybe not. We’ll see I guess. I don’t think I’ll burn my points, but roll the dice on my persistence. Or maybe a cheap LO voucher. ????

Maybe. Maybe not. We’ll see I guess. I don’t think I’ll burn my points, but roll the dice on my persistence. Or maybe a cheap LO voucher. ????
I thought they had already passed the change in his leftovers would be issued thru CPW? But I could be wrong

There cant be that much point creep or we would of seen draw odds go up last year from people holding out for this year

There are a lot of guys sitting on 20 plus points. I last hunted deer in Colorado 26 years ago. I was busy hunting everywhere else with good tags. A lot of guys think your stupid for banking points, especially close to 30 points for Deer, Elk or Antelope in Colorado. As Coloradoboy says, there isn’t a unit in the state worth that many points and he is right. The same goes for Mule Deer hunting all across the west. I will not kill a deer unless it’s pushing 200 or better. Where ever I end up putting in for it will be a good vacation, I love to camp and Colorado is a beautiful state.

There cant be that much point creep or we would of seen draw odds go up last year from people holding out for this year

The trouble with that theory is that last falls dates were better than we have seen in a long long time. Many people anticipated that this coming year would be a big jump in points and since this years dates were favorable...they chose to draw last fall

Also, they increased tag numbers this past year and people are worried that there would be much less big bucks left this coming year. So I know several people who jumped in last fall

Add to that, what was said above: that lots of guys are sitting on 20+ points. I expect at least a two point jump this year, because if not now, when?

Last edited:
If not now when is a good question. I would go with your gut feeling, you have been given some great advice. If you really want to draw don’t put in for a unit that’s pushing your point spread. There are a lot of guys with 20 plus points like me. I’ve always looked at the money banked for points as my donation to conservation, win or loose. Nothing in Colorado jumps out at me, I’ve got kids that I’m focused on trying to find hunts for them in Idaho before their gone from my life. When you’ve waited as long as I have it just becomes part of life. I don’t think a lot of the high point hunters are going to jump in this year, most of them are stacked up in points in other states to, and the attraction is not there. I surely did not ever think I would end up sitting on all these points but it’s the way it happened from starting out as a young man applying and now in my 60s. In my opinion the high point holders will keep trickling in. I wish you all the best of luck in Colorado this year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom