After the Harvest

shedneck

Do you have a post-harvest ritual? What it is?

Do you cheers with your favorite beverage after the harvest or pack out? What’s the drink of choice?

The first thing I do at the kill is get down on my knees and thank and praise God for the blessings he has given me.The Opportunity to hunt, the sacrifice of the animal, and thanks for all his creations.
Then I am on cloud nine while doing the field dressing and the pack out.
Once back at camp then I will barbecue up a good meal and continue the celebration and the thankfulness.I share the pics and the stories with family and friends and the memories will live on forever.

Do you have a post-harvest ritual? What it is?

Do you cheers with your favorite beverage after the harvest or pack out? What’s the drink of choice?

No post-harvest ritual. Maybe a few pictures and maybe a sense of relief.

Drink of choice is usually a swig of water, because up to the point of the kill and finding the animal there is some physical exertion.

Daily thanks and recognizing God's hand in all things will naturally fall into place after the tag has been filled, back at camp/home, and before you retire for the day.

The first thing I do at the kill is get down on my knees and thank and praise God for the blessings he has given me.The Opportunity to hunt, the sacrifice of the animal, and thanks for all his creations.
Once back at camp then I will barbecue up a good meal and continue the celebration and the thankfulness.I share the pics and the stories with family and friends and the memories will live on forever.
DITTO on each and every word Buckhorn wrote. ??
First and foremost I always give thanks to God & the animal.

I have a kinda weird thing that I have to be the first to touch the animal. Not sure where it came from. But my kids have picked up on it a bit.

Just something about (most likely) being the first person to lay hands on that animal.

When I watch a hunting show and the guides run up and grab the antlers and move the animal I think how mad I'd be, haha.

Bill

I have a kinda weird thing that I have to be the first to touch the animal. Not sure where it came from. But my kids have picked up on it a bit.

Just something about (most likely) being the first person to lay hands on that animal.

When I watch a hunting show and the guides run up and grab the antlers and move the animal I think how mad I'd be, haha.

Bill

And I'd just as soon be alone when I do it....

Bill
I can totally relate to that. ??

I immediately raise both hands to the sky and begin crying; each tear signifying love, respect and sacrifice. I collect these tears in a small cup my grandfather made me from the scrotum of the first buck I killed. I then drink half the scrotum tears and pour the rest into the mouth of the animal; this signifies the pain of death and the joy of renewed life. This.. well.... it just sparks so much joy. I make sure to be the weirdest guy on the mountain when I talk about "respecting an animal" and then I post about it on the internet.

Stuck thinking about all the post harvest rituals performed in 25 years. Tear up thinking about 'em. Nice thread and fun post.

Shedneck - that sheep is bad A$$! What did you do on that hunt if I may sir?

Stuck thinking about all the post harvest rituals performed in 25 years. Tear up thinking about 'em. Nice thread and fun post.

Shedneck - that sheep is bad A$$! What did you do on that hunt if I may sir?

I also thought that it was fun thinking back on what we did after a harvest. I'm 38 years old and I consider myself fortunate to still be able to hunt with my dad - he is with me on almost every hunt.
When he's with me, we always cheers with our favorite beer after the work is done. It's usually followed up with some Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings and another cold beer.

On my Dall sheep, I shook like a 12 year on his first buck and cried like a baby. There were so many emotions involved. Not only the hard work it took to get him, but everything else too. My family back at home; my job that allows me to afford to hunt, the amount of time I waited to go on the hunt - everything kind of just hit me. No beer in the pack on that hunt to cheers with. Hydrate and Recover cheers!

Like others mentioned on here, I think that it's important for the hunter to be the first one to walk up on the animal and he or she should have some alone time before anyone else rushes in. That's how we do it and that's how it was on my sheep hunt.

Shedneck, I wish my dad still hunted with me that ship has sailed... On the flip side I’m with my two boys and daughter on every hunt, wouldn’t miss that for the world...

Congrats!

great ritual

I usually look around really carefully for hidden game wardens or anybody else hoping to pick up a free tag...

It's a time of reverence for me. I stay quiet. If there are other critters around, I always wait patiently and quietly until they meander off. I give thanks, and I think about my dead dad, my wife and family. No drinks. Then I just get to work. We all owe it to the critter to take the best care of that meat we can.

after the kill I light a big old fat blunt and sit there for a few mins. Nothin’ better....

I usually give thanks immediately and then admire, lay my hands on the horns. Then I usually start texting my family and friends because more often than not, I’m alone. Or with a guide - but family and friends still back home.

B7FF351B-4AA8-4FD5-8EAF-061B1EE4C462.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom