Age this buck

HuckleberryHound

Thoughts on age?

97693hunt0098800x449.jpg

93609hunt0144800x449.jpg

22496hunt0231800x449.jpg

I think he is a young buck, maybe 3 1/2. He doesn't have the swayed back or pot gut of an old buck.

But he is a nice buck.

I tend to agree. I would say 3 1/2 as well. Looks like he's going to end up a very nice deer this year. Love the long brows.

I always guess too young during the summer, my gut said 3.5 but there's a decent chance he's 4. Real sturdy all the way through, good buck. What state?

>I always guess too young during
>the summer, my gut said
>3.5 but there's a decent
>chance he's 4. Real
>sturdy all the way through,
>good buck. What state?
>

Exactly my thoughts, looks 3.5, but summer aging is tough. Could possibly be 4.5. Washington state. Ill be leaving him alone this year, have a much more worthy target im going after in a different area. Maybe ill get to see this youngster alive next year with some more of his potential realized.

I agree with everyone above. 3 at the youngest and possibly 4 at the Oldest. At this time of year it is very hard to get a good read on age to be sure. Hopefully he keeps showing up and gives you a better idea once he is hard horned. Great Buck

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-18 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]Sometimes its hard to tell age just by size and face. Here's a deer I killed last year and sent his 2 front teeth into Wildlife Analytical Laboratories. They aged him at 5&1/2 years.

31450pict0423.jpg

Also killed this deer last year and they aged him at 6&1/2 years. Here are 2 pictures of him from the year before as a 5&1/2 year old. As you can see there's a bit of difference in size. Deer are like people some older are thin and some like me are sway backed and pot bellied :D. I know with humans junk food has something to do with that but even without junk food some of us would be heavier then others through genetics and some eat more than others.

16481azgrnj.jpg

57482imag0186.jpg

Here he is last year as a 6&1/2 year old.

94452ek000512.jpg

21319ek000379.jpg

There is no possible way to ever be 100% with out a Full history of his life. I age deer High and Low on Age and then only Harvest when the Lowest Age is What your Min. Age Goal is Set at. We do not Harvest a Deer before 6.5yrs old ever. So a Deer has to reach 6/7yrs of age on History Before we Look at putting him on the hit list. Once a Deer gets over 7yrs old it is Very tough to age. A lot of them will Start Showing Signs of a young deer all over from the Lack of body Mass. And Like you Said all Deer are Different just like you and I.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom