Long Time Member
GAME AND FISH NEWS
April 29, 2022​
Archery deer hunters:
Changes coming to over-the-counter,
nonpermit-tag opportunity
C

Archery_Hunter_-_Silhouette.jpg

Arizona’s over-the-counter, nonpermit-tag archery deer hunting opportunity will continue for the 2022-2023 hunts, but harvest limits have been set by unit and by species.

This approach is in accordance with hunt guidelines (www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Guidelines/) approved April 1, 2022, by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission. Harvest limits were set at 20 percent of the estimated harvest for a unit and species. Failure to report a harvest, as well as hunting in a closed unit, will be strictly enforced.

All over-the-counter archery deer hunters will be required to report their harvest either online or by phone within 48 hours of taking their deer (details to be published in the 2022-2023 Arizona Hunting Regulations booklet). When the number of deer equaling the archery deer harvest limit for a particular unit and species has been reported, the unit will be closed to further archery deer hunting at sundown the Wednesday immediately following.

Hunters will be responsible for checking online or by telephone before hunting to determine if their desired hunt unit is still open. The department’s website will be updated continuously to reflect the number of deer harvested and whether a harvest limit has been reached and a unit is closed.

The 2022-2023 Arizona Hunting Regulations will be posted online in early May at www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Regulations/.​

I appreciate G&F working with the bowhunting community and coming up with a logical and realistic plan for the OTC hunts. It's fair for most part (not sure how they came up with a random 20% harvest number?) and it protects the resource. Now we just need to come up with the wording to limit the NR's to no more than 10% of tags issued per OTC unit.

I am not opening this can of worms because it has already been opened but crossbow kills during an archery hunt should not be counted as part of the archery OTC harvest count.

I appreciate G&F working with the bowhunting community and coming up with a logical and realistic plan for the OTC hunts. It's fair for most part (not sure how they came up with a random 20% harvest number?) and it protects the resource. Now we just need to come up with the wording to limit the NR's to no more than 10% of tags issued per OTC unit.

I am not opening this can of worms because it has already been opened but crossbow kills during an archery hunt should not be counted as part of the archery OTC harvest count.
The one thing I find strange is this: "When the number of deer equaling the archery deer harvest limit for a particular unit and species has been reported, the unit will be closed to further archery deer hunting at sundown the Wednesday immediately following."

To me, that means the harvest quota might be reached on a Thurs. yet the hunt will remain open until the next Weds. That's a full week and seems to undermine the whole purpose for the quota.

shrugging.gif

Why not 48 hours from the kill that capped the unit? Bizarre
Yup. That should be plenty of time. Of course, it's all relative to the overall season length in a specific unit. But I think all the hunts were at least two weeks last year. So in those, the extra week would come into play if it went like I outlined.

Or, they could say that when 90% of the harvest is reached the unit closes 1 week later.
I don't know. To me, even with archery, a week sounds like a lot of hunting time that could result in a quite a few additional dead deer.

If I was doing the rule making, I would have used 24 hrs., based on midnight of the day the last report was made. So if a guy reports a kill at 2 p.m. or any other time before midnight on a Thurs., the unit shuts down at midnight Fri.

Historically, archery deer success is less than 10%. Keeping the reporting like the bear hunts is consistent with what they already do and it is fair. After a few years of reporting and data collected it might be necessary to circle back and revise rules but IMO they got this right.

Non-residents are more likely to higher a guide and they also tend to take more time off for the hunts. Majority of residents are weekend warriors or hunt a day here or a day there. I have not seen the numbers but I would bet 100 non-residents will kill more than 100 resident archers. Non-residents archery hunts are becoming very popular in AZ because you don't have to get drawn, tags are reasonably priced, the weather is great in December/January and the G&F have been paying hunting 'celebrities" to hype these hunts. Which makes zero sense when we have a very limited supply, losing habitat daily and our resident human population is exploding.

Oh well......... like I said earlier. It's good the dept has worked with the bowhunting community to come up with a reasonable solution.

Historically, archery deer success is less than 10%. Keeping the reporting like the bear hunts is consistent with what they already do and it is fair. After a few years of reporting and data collected it might be necessary to circle back and revise rules but IMO they got this right.

Non-residents are more likely to higher a guide and they also tend to take more time off for the hunts. Majority of residents are weekend warriors or hunt a day here or a day there. I have not seen the numbers but I would bet 100 non-residents will kill more than 100 resident archers. Non-residents archery hunts are becoming very popular in AZ because you don't have to get drawn, tags are reasonably priced, the weather is great in December/January and the G&F have been paying hunting 'celebrities" to hype these hunts. Which makes zero sense when we have a very limited supply, losing habitat daily and our resident human population is exploding.

Oh well......... like I said earlier. It's good the dept has worked with the bowhunting community to come up with a reasonable solution.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Gives outfitters a chance to complete hunts.

The one thing I find strange is this: "When the number of deer equaling the archery deer harvest limit for a particular unit and species has been reported, the unit will be closed to further archery deer hunting at sundown the Wednesday immediately following."

To me, that means the harvest quota might be reached on a Thurs. yet the hunt will remain open until the next Weds. That's a full week and seems to undermine the whole purpose for the quota.

View attachment 75388
They’re just following the same system they use with bear. That same scenario could happen with the bear quota also.

Yeah, I know. It's weird there, as well. ;)

It would be interesting to know how many additional sows end up getting killed.

I think cross bows should be counted as well. Its the same season ,same quarry....................BULL!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom