AGFD -- Online Course for Lifetime Bonus Point

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
GAME AND FISH NEWS
Oct. 15, 2021​
New online course allows hunters
to earn lifetime bonus point
EHA-Image_265.jpg
PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) has created an innovative online course — “Ethically Hunting Arizona” — that provides hunters 18 and older with an opportunity to earn a lifetime bonus point.

A bonus point is simply an accumulated credit (or point) that authorizes the department to issue additional computer-generated random numbers to a big game draw application, thus providing an applicant with an added chance of receiving a low random number in the draw and improving their draw odds.

The Ethically Hunting Arizona course was developed primarily for those hunters who are looking to acquire their permanent Arizona Education Bonus Point without having to compete for limited seating in the classroom-style structure of the traditional Arizona Hunter Education course. This new online course should help to free up seating for youths 9 to 13 who must complete a hunter education course in person to hunt big game. To register for the course, visit https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/eha/.

NOTE: If a hunter already has earned an Arizona Education Bonus Point by completing Arizona Hunter Education, a second bonus point cannot be obtained through the taking of the Ethically Hunting Arizona course. In addition, completing the online course does not fulfill hunter education requirements to hunt in other states.

Ethically Hunting Arizona is geared primarily for experienced hunters, including those who are nonresidents, new residents to Arizona, and longtime state residents. Statistically, 9% of hunter education graduates are nonresidents. Of those 18 and older, 76% take the course for this bonus point, and only 20% identify as new hunters.

Ethically Hunting Arizona’s 10 hours of online coursework will cover the following topics:
  • Responsibility, safety, skills.
  • Conservation, Fair Chase, ethics, hunters’ image.
  • Planning, preparation, survival skills.
  • Firearm safety, handling, shot selection.
  • Hunting strategies, vital shots, game care.
  • Arizona hunting laws, regulations, licensing.
The course provides focused learning to hopefully help reduce hunting incidents through safety education, as well as the number of citations issued for violations that occur in the field.

The cost of the discretionary course is $150 for Arizona residents, $300 for nonresidents (who now benefit from not having to outlay travel expenses, such as gas, airfare, lodging and meals, to take the course in person in Arizona).

A student will have two opportunities to pass the course with a minimum score of 80%. The course must be passed 30 days prior to the draw deadline day for the bonus point to be valid for that particular draw.

-30-​

I signed up yesterday, thanks for the heads up. This will be a big revenue maker for the state fish and game.

Mark

Those taking the online course will also have to do “the work”, estimated to take anywhere from 8 - 10 hours depending on an individual‘s reading, comprehension and retention skills. Granted, they will not have “to work” as far as traveling to AZ to take the course and the expense that effort entails.

The new ethics online course is certainly more challenging and time-consuming than the current online AZ Hunter Education Course, as that course isn’t difficult at all, especially for an adult that is an experienced hunter.

I thought the final price adopted for the course was going to be higher, $300 is a bargain IMO when compared it to the cost of travel to AZ, especially currently with inflation racking the economy.

Those taking the online course will also have to do “the work”, estimated to take anywhere from 8 - 10 hours depending on an individual‘s reading, comprehension and retention skills. Granted, they will not have “to work” as far as traveling to AZ to take the course and the expense that effort entails.

The new ethics online course is certainly more challenging and time-consuming than the current online AZ Hunter Education Course, as that course isn’t difficult at all, especially for an adult that is an experienced hunter.

I thought the final price adopted for the course was going to be higher, $300 is a bargain IMO when compared it to the cost of travel to AZ, especially currently with inflation racking the economy.
Just had a friend complete it in under an hour . The previous online course would take you 3-4 hours if you sat through and read everything and still had to make an effort to get to AZ. I guess work is a relative term now.

This is a plain and simple revenue boost because AZGF messed up with the OTC tags and social media influencers.

Wonder what they’ll come up with when they realize the actual revenue loss over an averaged out time period.

Well
At the same time I have tried for over 3 years to line up and get into a class down there.
It’s been a joke and a waste of time.
Try having a class cancel because the guy went fishing.
I’m glad Arizona is making changes cause they have been the worst Game and Fish to work with in the last 25 years.
Better late than never.
Thank You

Tell that to the guy from Hawaii that actually had to work to get the point at the class last year I was at. Now anyone with a credit card can not have to work at it and get the same advantage.

Should make it $500+as a lazy tax. At least then they could afford to pay Brian Call, Hushin, and Newberg to get more opportunities shut down.
“Work” as in show up? Good grief!!!

Just had a friend complete it in under an hour . The previous online course would take you 3-4 hours if you sat through and read everything and still had to make an effort to get to AZ. I guess work is a relative term now.

This is a plain and simple revenue boost because AZGF messed up with the OTC tags and social media influencers.

Wonder what they’ll come up with when they realize the actual revenue loss over an averaged out time period.

Test took 45mins its 10 small quick test followed by a 50 question test on Regs. Very simple self pace just read bold stuff and fly on! If you have a AZ season Regs book you can literally get a 100% quick and fast. Although most the questions are very simple and easy. A lot of them are fail proof you just can't get wrong.

Yep, in 2013 a friend, my son, and I drove to Kingman. Did the class with Don Martin. My son was the youngest person (13) he had take the class. Don did a write up for the Kingman paper and sent me a copy. This new process is sort of a short cut version, get the point with out the adventure and effort. I wish they did not do this.

By the way, has anyone heard from Don Martin?
Bill

An adventure to go sit in a class all day? Good grief!

Don still checks here time to time

I've tried several times to schedule that class to get the bonus point- if you work it's damn near impossible. New approach for older hunters is a nice add.

An adventure to go sit in a class all day? Good grief!

Don still checks here time to time

The adventure was taking vacation to drive the 10 hours one way and spend time with my son. Getting him more interested in hunting. And having him understand you have to plan and physically do things to get things done. If you could not take the time to go to the class maybe the extra point did not mean that much to you.

You sure do wine a lot! I'm sure it is a revenue boost, but if you owned or ran a company you'd probably do all you can to creatively boost revenue as well. That is what a smart business/owner/manager would try to do.

People get so worked up about crap that has no real consequence in our lives. Sure, lots of people will take the course to earn another point. But lots of other people will think that is too expensive and not pay it. It's one point... not going to be a game changer for most people. And this mainly helps non-residents earn that lifetime point. Most residents likely already have to point or planned on getting it anyway.

There is still a max of 10% of tags allowed to go to nonresidents so it doesn't hurt residents at all. And if you apply for Arizona as a non-resident expecting to draw often you are misguided. For most non-residents arizona is a once or twice in a lifetime kind of thing so who is this really hurting? More revenue for an agency that we should all want to have more revenue and no real negative consequence for anyone. Sounds like a win to me, even if people that had to make an effort in the past and drive down don't like it.

Sure, lots of people will take the course to earn another point. But lots of other people will think that is too expensive and not pay it. It's one point... not going to be a game changer for most people.
Sooo..in the early 1970s, I took the HE course a couple times with all three of my kids. Then I became a volunteer instructor in AZ. In 1976, I moved to CO where the local game warden became a friend & later anointed me as the chief HE instructor in the town of Bayfield. Moved back to AZ in 1979.

Now fast forward to when the AGFD initiated the lifetime BP for HE. By rule, the course had to be taken after 1980. I was SOL, so I spoke to the powers to be about my situation. Even though I had all the paper work, certificates, etc., I was told no exceptions.

In my own mini-protest, I decided I didn't need the BP enough to go thru the course again. Without it, over the last 40 years or so I've had a couple bull elk, several deer including two late N. Kaibab & three late Coues, a pronghorn & a desert sheep permit. Obviously I have no idea what the extra point might have added to the list

Mileage may vary for others. ;)

My wife and I took the class just before covid hit. We tied it in with a week in the sun chasing mule deer and javelina. I have no regrets. I am not a max point holder or even close. Only the guys close to getting a late strip tag are going to be hurt by this. It is a obvious money grab by AZFG but the class is not mandatory so the hunters that pay the money will be grateful for the opportunity.

I've been thinking about making a trip to AZ to do the class for a few years. This would be very frustrating for those that made the effort to do the in person course for the bonus point.
$300 for the class for nonresidents seems more like a way to generate $$ than a way to educate hunters.

Sooo..in the early 1970s, I took the HE course a couple times with all three of my kids. Then I became a volunteer instructor in AZ. In 1976, I moved to CO where the local game warden became a friend & later anointed me as the chief HE instructor in the town of Bayfield. Moved back to AZ in 1979.

Now fast forward to when the AGFD initiated the lifetime BP for HE. By rule, the course had to be taken after 1980. I was SOL, so I spoke to the powers to be about my situation. Even though I had all the paper work, certificates, etc., I was told no exceptions.

In my own mini-protest, I decided I didn't need the BP enough to go thru the course again. Without it, over the last 40 years or so I've had a couple bull elk, several deer including two late N. Kaibab & three late Coues, a pronghorn & a desert sheep permit. Obviously I have no idea what the extra point might have added to the list

Mileage may vary for others. ;)
Let’s hear the story and pics from your desert sheep hunt!

Need that revenue to pay those influencers to sucker those NR’s. Repeat at every opportunity.

I wish more people would stop and ask what the money is for.

From an AZ native with a very similar backstory as Tony. I moved to CO one year before they started the lifetime license. I don’t regret a thing.

Need that revenue to pay those influencers to sucker those NR’s. Repeat at every opportunity.

I wish more people would stop and ask what the money is for.

From an AZ native with a very similar backstory as Tony. I moved to CO one year before they started the lifetime license. I don’t regret a thing.
I will have my Pioneer lifetime license for a decade on Nov. 19.

I drove th Kingman from Utah three years ago there was a guy from Billings Montana there the class had about 30 people in it I personally like the old way of having to commit to traveling to Arizonia as a nonresident to get the benefit of the extra point,Just my opinion!

We've had folks come from all across the USA to take the Nonresident Supplemental Class we put on in Golden Valley at the Mohave Sportsmans Club and 7 Mile Hill Shooting Range. Don Martin organizes that class and he is keen to get back at it once the AZGFD allows classroom gatherings again - tentatively scheduled for late March '22.

That NRS Class will still be available for nonresidents to take if they prefer traveling to AZ to earn the bonus point. No online hunter ed course is needed, just proof you completed hunter in another state in 1980 or later. That date has to do with state requirements to handle and discharge a firearm in the presence of certified state hunter ed nstructors.

We only charge $8.00 to attend the NRS Class, it is a very long day and does require time and travel expenditures; that said, it is still available for those who would rather learn in an old-school environment and do not want to deal with online learning or the $300 tab.

We enjoy teaching that class and the folks who attend it have been supportive and generally give it positive reviews. The most prevalent negative reviews were the length of the class and the travel required to attend it. Likely had much to do with the creation of the new online course to earn the permanent bonus point. (Uh, YES)

See, this is why GAME departments need that revenue. To hire trappers to vaccinate SKUNKS.

I expect to see the anti vaxxers going apoplectic over this.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom