AGFD -- Special Season Apps

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
309507-jsn2w9cyqg-3e82ad134bb85a11b98ac2c3cbd24a43.png
GAME AND FISH NEWS
Nov. 26, 2021

Hunters can apply for limited-entry permit-tag seasons beginning at 12:01 a.m. (Arizona time) Monday, Nov. 29
elk_mug.jpg

The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) will accept applications for limited-entry permit-tag seasons beginning at 12:01 a.m. (Arizona time) Monday, Nov. 29. These new big game hunting opportunities give hunters a chance to draw an additional elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer permit-tag, while generating revenue to support wildlife conservation efforts across the state.

These opportunities should not be confused with the annual draws that are conducted by the department in February, June and October. A limited-entry permit-tag application does not preclude a hunter from applying for any other hunts throughout the year or impact bonus points. Animals harvested during limited-entry permit-tag seasons are excluded from annual bag limits.

To apply, visit https://limitedhuntentry.azgfd.com/. The deadline is 11:59 p.m. (Arizona time) Friday, Dec. 3.

Applicants must have a Customer ID to apply. AZGFD’s new Customer ID Retrieval Tool can be found by visiting www.azgfd.com/license/, or www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Draw/. Don’t have a Customer ID? Visit https://accounts.azgfd.com/Account/Register to sign up for a free AZGFD portal account. For those applicants who believe they have a portal account but are unable to locate their Customer ID by using the Customer ID Retrieval Tool, call the department at 602-942-3000 to avoid creating a duplicate account.

Applicants who are drawn for a limited-entry permit-tag will be contacted by the department (during the week of Dec. 6), at which time payment will be required before the permit-tag can be mailed. NOTE: It is the responsibility of each applicant to provide accurate contact information to avoid missing an opportunity to receive the permit-tag for which they were drawn.

In addition:
  • This is discretionary. The objective is to generate revenue in order to maintain current operations and limit or eliminate the need to increase license and hunt permit-tag fees.
  • The issuance of a specific number of limited-entry permit-tags will not adversely affect management objectives for a species or area. These hunts will not impact the number of permit-tags made available for the annual draws. The related harvest will have an insignificant impact on wildlife populations.
  • A valid Arizona hunting (or combination hunt and fish) license is not needed at the time of application; it is required if a customer has been drawn for a limited-entry permit-tag.
  • Applicants can select up to six limited-entry permit-tag hunts on one application. Multiple applications will not be accepted.
  • At the time of application, a customer shall submit the required application fee ($13 for Arizona residents, $15 for nonresidents) for each selected hunt number.
  • Each customer must apply individually. Applicants cannot apply as a group, unlike the annual draws.
  • If a customer enters inaccurate information during the application process, or attempts to enter the draw for a hunt more than once, all applications will be deemed invalid.
  • After an application has been saved, a customer cannot begin a new one. A customer may return to their application to make changes as long as the draw is open, however. When an application has been completed through the payment process, a customer can no longer make changes or apply for additional hunts.
A total of six limited-entry permit-tags (two for each of the three species) were recommended for this initial draw:
  • Elk (any elk): Dec. 20, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 1, 27.
  • Elk (any elk): Dec. 20, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 9, 10.
  • Mule deer (antlered): Dec. 20, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 10, 17A, 17B, 19A, 19B, 20A.
  • Mule deer (antlered): Dec. 20, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 39, 40A, 40B, 41, 42, 43A, 43B, 44A, 44B, 45A, 45B, 45C.
  • White-tailed deer (antlered): Jan. 1-Feb. 28, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 29, 30A, 30B, 31, 32, 33, 34A, 34B, 35A, 35B, 36A, 36B, 36C.
  • White-tailed deer (antlered): Jan. 1-Feb. 28, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 21, 22, 23, 24A, 24B.
The Arizona Game and Fish Commission, during a public meeting Aug. 6 in Williams, voted 5-0 to approve Commission Order 30: Limited-Entry Permit-tags, which establishes initial seasons and season dates, permit numbers, and open areas for elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer.​

GAME AND FISH NEWS
Nov. 26, 2021

Hunters can apply for limited-entry permit-tag seasons beginning at 12:01 a.m. (Arizona time) Monday, Nov. 29

The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) will accept applications for limited-entry permit-tag seasons beginning at 12:01 a.m. (Arizona time) Monday, Nov. 29. These new big game hunting opportunities give hunters a chance to draw an additional elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer permit-tag, while generating revenue to support wildlife conservation efforts across the state.

These opportunities should not be confused with the annual draws that are conducted by the department in February, June and October. A limited-entry permit-tag application does not preclude a hunter from applying for any other hunts throughout the year or impact bonus points. Animals harvested during limited-entry permit-tag seasons are excluded from annual bag limits.

To apply, visit https://limitedhuntentry.azgfd.com/. The deadline is 11:59 p.m. (Arizona time) Friday, Dec. 3.

Applicants must have a Customer ID to apply. AZGFD’s new Customer ID Retrieval Tool can be found by visiting www.azgfd.com/license/, or www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Draw/. Don’t have a Customer ID? Visit https://accounts.azgfd.com/Account/Register to sign up for a free AZGFD portal account. For those applicants who believe they have a portal account but are unable to locate their Customer ID by using the Customer ID Retrieval Tool, call the department at 602-942-3000 to avoid creating a duplicate account.

Applicants who are drawn for a limited-entry permit-tag will be contacted by the department (during the week of Dec. 6), at which time payment will be required before the permit-tag can be mailed. NOTE: It is the responsibility of each applicant to provide accurate contact information to avoid missing an opportunity to receive the permit-tag for which they were drawn.

In addition:​
  • This is discretionary. The objective is to generate revenue in order to maintain current operations and limit or eliminate the need to increase license and hunt permit-tag fees.
  • The issuance of a specific number of limited-entry permit-tags will not adversely affect management objectives for a species or area. These hunts will not impact the number of permit-tags made available for the annual draws. The related harvest will have an insignificant impact on wildlife populations.
  • A valid Arizona hunting (or combination hunt and fish) license is not needed at the time of application; it is required if a customer has been drawn for a limited-entry permit-tag.
  • Applicants can select up to six limited-entry permit-tag hunts on one application. Multiple applications will not be accepted.
  • At the time of application, a customer shall submit the required application fee ($13 for Arizona residents, $15 for nonresidents) for each selected hunt number.
  • Each customer must apply individually. Applicants cannot apply as a group, unlike the annual draws.
  • If a customer enters inaccurate information during the application process, or attempts to enter the draw for a hunt more than once, all applications will be deemed invalid.
  • After an application has been saved, a customer cannot begin a new one. A customer may return to their application to make changes as long as the draw is open, however. When an application has been completed through the payment process, a customer can no longer make changes or apply for additional hunts.

A total of six limited-entry permit-tags (two for each of the three species) were recommended for this initial draw:​
  • Elk (any elk): Dec. 20, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 1, 27.
  • Elk (any elk): Dec. 20, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 9, 10.
  • Mule deer (antlered): Dec. 20, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 10, 17A, 17B, 19A, 19B, 20A.
  • Mule deer (antlered): Dec. 20, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 39, 40A, 40B, 41, 42, 43A, 43B, 44A, 44B, 45A, 45B, 45C.
  • White-tailed deer (antlered): Jan. 1-Feb. 28, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 29, 30A, 30B, 31, 32, 33, 34A, 34B, 35A, 35B, 36A, 36B, 36C.
  • White-tailed deer (antlered): Jan. 1-Feb. 28, 2022. Open areas: Game management units 21, 22, 23, 24A, 24B.

The Arizona Game and Fish Commission, during a public meeting Aug. 6 in Williams, voted 5-0 to approve Commission Order 30: Limited-Entry Permit-tags, which establishes initial seasons and season dates, permit numbers, and open areas for elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer.​
Thanks for the reminder!
They’ll get my money…

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to Arizona units. I will be in Wickenburg most of the winter. Are these deer units pretty good?

Wickenburg is in unit 42. There are some big desert mule deer in that unit, or so I've been told. I used to hunt 42, on the west side of White Tanks , but that ended when the city of Buckeye annexed the area. Used to find a few wide racked 4x4 deer when scouting. Now the area I used to hunt is archery only, so I couldn't tell you any recent Intel.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to Arizona units. I will be in Wickenburg most of the winter. Are these deer units pretty good?
Most of the units within the Mule Deer hunt where Wickenburg is located have a lot of desert type terrain, both flat & hilly. They yield some big bucks every year to guys who know how to hunt them. The nice thing with this hunt is the opportunity to chase them during the rut when big bucks do stupid things. So it might be worth $15 to give it a try even if the odds will be goofy.

Last edited:
Plus you get 58 days to hunt and be the only guy out there! Your own de-facto private hunt! Lol

Tried to apply tonight. It seems the system is either a POS, or the volume is so high it can't proceed without locking up. Got all the way up to the Verify page, and it won't go any further, won't verify, and won't go to a pay screen or charge my card. Guess I didn't want to give them my money anyway!!!

Tried to apply tonight. It seems the system is either a POS, or the volume is so high it can't proceed without locking up. Got all the way up to the Verify page, and it won't go any further, won't verify, and won't go to a pay screen or charge my card. Guess I didn't want to give them my money anyway!!!
You've got until Fri. Do it at a time when everyone & their brother aren't applying.

GAME AND FISH NEWS
Dec. 2, 2021

Last call:
Deadline to apply for limited-entry permit-tag seasons is 11:59 p.m. Friday, Dec. 3
Bull-Elk_GA-300x199.jpg

The Arizona Game and Fish Department reminds hunters that the deadline to submit applications for limited-entry permit-tag seasons is 11:59 p.m. Friday, Dec. 3.

These new big game hunting opportunities give hunters a chance to draw an additional elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer permit-tag, while generating revenue to support wildlife conservation efforts across the state. To apply, visit https://limitedhuntentry.azgfd.com/.

In addition:
A total of six limited-entry permit-tags (two for each of the three species) were recommended for this initial draw:

I'm in.
Born and raised in unit 42 in the rural areas. There are still some good bucks there but nothing like it was years past. I set up a deer camp west of Wickenburg every year and spend most of January there.

BTW the two bucks in my avatar are 42 bucks.

As of last night people I know that we're applying were getting application numbers in the 20,000's. I'd imagine most of those 20,000 applications put in for atleast 3 of the hunts if not more so odds are in the 1 in 15,000-20,000 range for the more popular choices.

The good news is, most the people I know who put in didn’t know there new customer ID number and either entered their social or their sportsman ID number. I think there will be a lot of rejected apps. Curious to know, any of y’all know about this new number?

The good news is, most the people I know who put in didn’t know there new customer ID number and either entered their social or their sportsman ID number. I think there will be a lot of rejected apps. Curious to know, any of y’all know about this new number?
If they applied for any of the recent open application sessions, they would have had to have there new number? I don’t think you could have recently accessed your account if you hadn’t gone through the process of getting the new number? I know this was a different process though. And I guess AGFD will still get there app fee if they did make the mistake? That sucks for those guys who did! I had my new number, and I put my SS number in as well…
Good luck to everyone who got in!

If they applied for any of the recent open application sessions, they would have had to have there new number? I don’t think you could have recently accessed your account if you hadn’t gone through the process of getting the new number? I know this was a different process though. And I guess AGFD will still get there app fee if they did make the mistake? That sucks for those guys who did! I had my new number, and I put my SS number in as well…
I think you could've proceeded without entering the correct ID. I had a friend who was about to just use his social for the Customer ID but I told him to read the fine print and it said to make sure all information is correct before going forward or your application will be rejected. I'm hoping a lot of people used their socials haha

My immediate family drew 10 tags for this fall and had never seen or heard of this new number. When I talked to a GF rep on Friday about it, after I had entered in my Social as the Customer ID, she had told me that starting with this draw, the Customer ID must be presented or applications will be rejected. That’s why I said many apps will be rejected this draw. This happened not only to me, but everyone I’ve talked to about it who has put in, which is about 6 people.

My immediate family drew 10 tags for this fall and had never seen or heard of this new number. When I talked to a GF rep on Friday about it, after I had entered in my Social as the Customer ID, she had told me that starting with this draw, the Customer ID must be presented or applications will be rejected. That’s why I said many apps will be rejected this draw. This happened not only to me, but everyone I’ve talked to about it who has put in, which is about 6 people.
Gotcha!
They must have made some exceptions for the fall draw with the new system and number? I know I had a problem with mine, and it took a couple calls to get it straightened out due to my son being linked to my account. My son ended up with two new ID numbers…

Gotcha!
They must have made some exceptions for the fall draw with the new system and number? I know I had a problem with mine, and it took a couple calls to get it straightened out due to my son being linked to my account. My son ended up with two new ID numbers…

Yes, the fall draw was the final exception Moving forward you’ll still need to enter your SOC # (SOC # is put into a nationwide data base to prevent people behind on child support from drawing tags), and Customer ID #. The Sportsman ID will no longer be needed. They sure know how to make it really difficult and confusing.

I’m curious how the draw will be conducted in terms of resident, to non resident? Is everyone on an even playing field? If so, it’s kinda strange how it had a box to mark for resident, what would it matter? I’m sure if you drew they’ll look you up and charge you for the tag according. Was just curious, any thoughts???

Yes, the fall draw was the final exception Moving forward you’ll still need to enter your SOC # (SOC # is put into a nationwide data base to prevent people behind on child support from drawing tags), and Customer ID #. The Sportsman ID will no longer be needed. They sure know how to make it really difficult and confusing.
Surprised the app didn't give people a pop up alert "Invalid Customer ID" or something like that.

At least this wasn't the elk draw! lol. They better communicate this hard before the next draw.

Is the Customer ID the Customer ID shown on “My Dashboard“ you know from the AZFGD where it says;

One account for all your online wildlife needs​

Not sure why they make it a game. You should be able to log in and apply from there. They already have your DOB and SSN on file. I applied but my apps don’t show up on my draw apps. This seemed more like a raffle drawing similar to the website they ran for the Park Bison hunt apps. I have a receipt for “payment acceptance” but have no clue if I am actually in the draw or not.

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

Is the Customer ID the Customer ID shown on “My Dashboard“ you know from the AZFGD where it says;

Not sure why they make it a game. You should be able to log in and apply from there. They already have your DOB and SSN on file. I applied but my apps don’t show up on my draw apps. This seemed more like a raffle drawing similar to the website they ran for the Park Bison hunt apps. I have a receipt for “payment acceptance” but have no clue if I am actually in the draw or not.

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

I would assume it is your Customer ID on your dashboard. As long as it isn’t the same as your SOC# and it doesn’t start with a letter, then that’s probably it.

Good luck everyone!

Horniac
Yes, your old sportsman’s id doesn’t show up in your dashboard on the newer site.
And I believe your right, these apps won’t show up in the dashboard either. I thought it was kinda weird the way the application process was?

Everyone I talked too used their SS#.

I bet 80% used their SS#. Might be some great odds after all! ?
I know you are tongue in cheek AZ8, but it tells how far we've come when we think odds were 1:15,000 and they move to 1:3,000 and they are "great". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now it looks like I have to answer all the scammer calls I get from 602 this week! I'm from PA, but I get a disproportionate number of car warranty calls from the 602....

Truthfully, now that I think of it, it would be a good scam. It would not be that hard to find a target audience from outside of AZ by looking here, FB, other forums and calling this week. I wonder if when AZ calls people, they are going to request payment right then or if you can call back in to the main number and request the appropriate individual. $650 a pop from NR could make a scammers week in a dozen or so calls.

PS - Scammers - please don't call me :)

Leave it to Arizona Fish and Game to screw this up.
They have been by far the worst state to deal with for Applications in the last 30 years.

I used my sportsman ID then realized what I did wrong. They still accepted my money..I called and spoke with a rep who took very detailed care of my issue, but she couldn't tell me if I would be in the draw or not. She just said she would make the notes for the corrections and pass them along. No email, no confirmation of any sort. This kind of thing makes it easy to lose peoples trust.

This was a trial run draw to see how many people wouldn’t follow instructions! Of course, the majority applying were men and men don’t follow instructions! Haha

But to be serious, it’s kinda bush league that a SS# or Sportsman’s ID number has been used for years! We use it without thinking, 100’s of apps, almost like muscle memory and now they throw a one sentence blurb saying to use your Customer ID..haha nice!

A first year software programmer could of easily written code to reject an invalid Customer ID number with a “pop up alert“ we’re all used to seeing in everyday online use.

Anyways, at least it’s out there for everyone now to be careful in upcoming draws.

Now, I wait for that phone call from 602! C’mon elk/deer miracle tag! ?

This was a trial run draw to see how many people wouldn’t follow instructions! Of course, the majority applying were men and men don’t follow instructions! Haha

But to be serious, it’s kinda bush league that a SS# or Sportsman’s ID number has been used for years! We use it without thinking, 100’s of apps, almost like muscle memory and now they throw a one sentence blurb saying to use your Customer ID..haha nice!

A first year software programmer could of easily written code to reject an invalid Customer ID number with a “pop up alert“ we’re all used to seeing in everyday online use.

Anyways, at least it’s out there for everyone now to be careful in upcoming draws.

Now, I wait for that phone call from 602! C’mon elk/deer miracle tag! ?
“I understood the assignment”
?

For those wondering where their Customer ID is: Log into portal. Select My AZGFD Dashboard. You’ll then see it right above your name.

No call for me.

With 22,000 apps they made around $300k. I’m guessing this won’t be the last special drawing….

No call for me.

With 22,000 apps they made around $300k. I’m guessing this won’t be the last special drawing….
It actually reads 22,000 applicants, not applications. This applicant applied for both elk tags. I’m sure some did 1 and some did 6. I’d guess there were at least 50,000 applications and maybe more. So let’s guess well over 500K and maybe closer to a million.

It actually reads 22,000 applicants, not applications. This applicant applied for both elk tags. I’m sure some did 1 and some did 6. I’d guess there were at least 50,000 applications and maybe more. So let’s guess well over 500K and maybe closer to a million.
You’re right, if everyone applied for all 6 the total could be closer to 1.8 mil

GAME AND FISH NEWS
Dec. 7, 2021

New big game hunting opportunities
a win-win for hunters, wildlife
White-tailed_Deer_-_Buck_-_1.jpg

Once again, Arizona hunters have stepped up in a big way in their support of wildlife conservation efforts across the state.

More than 22,000 applicants recently took a chance to draw an additional hunt permit-tag for elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer, while generating revenue that will bolster a variety of programs funded through the Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD). The monitoring and maintenance of water catchments, and wildlife law enforcement patrols and investigations are just a couple of examples of programs that benefit from such funding.

The deadline to submit applications for the limited-entry permit-tag seasons was Dec. 3. A total of six limited-entry permit-tags (two for each of the three species) were made available for this initial draw. All successful applicants since have been notified by telephone. Those who were unsuccessful will not receive correspondence from the department.

These new big game hunting opportunities are discretionary and not to be confused with the annual draws that are conducted in February, June and October. A limited-entry permit-tag application does not preclude a hunter from applying for any other hunts throughout the year or impact bonus points. Animals harvested during limited-entry permit-tag seasons are excluded from annual bag limits.

Today’s conservation efforts wouldn’t be possible without the continued support of sportsmen and sportswomen. As a result, wildlife and habitat management programs have restored and maintained sustainable wildlife populations for all to enjoy. AZGFD appreciates the ongoing support of all outdoor enthusiasts.

AZGFD will update customers about future limited-entry permit-tag seasons through its website (www.azgfd.gov), e-newsletters, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.​

Anyone know anyone that got called? I don't follow or believe most conspiracy theories. It does make a guy think when results are not posted and the winners get a call. The draw would be a lot easier to conduct if the winners were taken from the contact list of the AZGF directors phone.

Well, I’m going to assume that 6 legit people got the tags.

This was a weird setup. No confirmation your app was accepted, other than a receipt that your CC was charged. No indication your app was rejected. No indication you were unsuccessful.

We simply entered our CC number and hit submit and nothing else! Just an article stating number of apps and the 6 successful tag winners were notified. Weird.

With the lack of transparency on this raffle as AZ8 noted and the astronomical odds, I will rethink applying for this one again next year…

Horniac
After thinking about this more, I’ll have to say me too.

What‘s interesting is the Department indicated during their webcast on OTC, that if they were to eliminate OTC deer, they’d lose about 1 million dollars in revenue.

With this simple 6 tag raffle, with a mix of Res/NonRes app fees, assuming the average app contained 3 hunts, they at a minimum made $900K….almost made up their 1M potential loss with one special draw.

Guess they had it all figured out already and OTC is all but gone now. Next year maybe it’s 12 tags, then 18 tags…etc. Not sure we want to go down this road where we morph into the Utah model.

When I called them about my problem with not being able to submit, their answer was that I had used the BACK button when I changed my mind from 4 to 6. By going back, it cleared all the choices, and then looked like I submitted an app with zero choices. That's why it would never go any further. The said tough luck, don't do that next time!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom