AGFD -- Trail Camera Ban For Taking Wildlife effective Jan. 1

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
309507-jsn2w9cyqg-3e82ad134bb85a11b98ac2c3cbd24a43.png
GAME AND FISH NEWS
Dec. 23, 2021
Arizona Game and Fish Department
Reminder: New rule prohibiting use of trail cameras for the take of wildlife becomes effective Jan. 1
Trail camera use for personal enjoyment, photography, or protecting property is still allowed
_cam_photo_for_eblast_on_rule_taking_effect_Jan1_2.jpg
PHOENIX — Arizona hunters are reminded the new Arizona Game and Fish Commission rule R12-4-303.A.5, which states that a person shall not use a trail camera for the purposes of taking or locating or aiding in the take of wildlife, becomes effective Jan. 1, 2022.

The commission unanimously approved the rule at its June 2021 meeting in Payson after an extensive public input process.

A prohibition on the use of “live action” trail cameras for taking or locating or aiding in the take of wildlife had already been in effect since 2018.

The new prohibition does not apply to other uses of a trail camera such as research, general photography and security. However, any photograph or data captured by a trail camera after Jan. 1, 2022 and used for the take or aiding in the take of wildlife will be unlawful, even if that was not the initial intended use of the trail camera.

For more information, click HERE.

Thank you AzG&F, first time I have one of my pictures used or published. This is just one water catchment in Unit 12B-West last year when I was hunting.

I know a lot of people that are going to continue to use them. There is a gray area that many are willing to play with. I don't want to risk losing hunting rights so I am going to be done with cameras for Arizona unless the law changes, which I don't see happening. I am going to miss using them. From deer and sheep to bobcats, coyotes, foxes, owls, quail, dove and predatory birds. It's fun to see them all. I think it'll be interesting to see if any tickets get handed out for cameras being used. I do not see how they can police it. I've seen cell cameras on a few waterholes this year and when I asked a warden about it, they said they can't prove who has the camera up and if they are just observing wildlife they are not doing anything wrong so the wardens are not able to remove them.

That's the whole thing, until they change wording, it's still going to be a free for all! General photography and Security...Lol

Theres also people putting G & F stickers on their cameras as well in hopes to deter theft. Any idea how they are marked?, just curious.

One thing I've recently learned is that not only is AZGFD enforcing the Laws , so is the Feds , when it comes down to Trailcameras being placed on Federal Lands . This has compelled me to get a Research Permit with the collaboration with the BLM Biologists. We created a contract that enables the Both parties , myself and the Biologist to use data that my Trailcameras have captured . For instance , the Biologist want to know if Bats are in the area to try to locate them and analyze if a White Fungus is present on the Bats . So any pictures or video I get of Bats hitting water , will be sent to the Biologists! These Research permits will be placed on my Trailcameras. Any Tampering or Theft of the cameras will not only be subject to stealing private property , but also Stealing Federal Property !!! This also enables me to place cameras in the park .

Think what you want. I’ve seen it on cameras in the field. That’s why I was asking how they mark them.
So perhaps the ones you see in the field belong to G&F then & not some creative individual attempting to thwart the theft of his illegally placed cams, eh?

Last edited:
Perhaps. Or perhaps I know people who do it? or perhaps I've seen people talk about doing it. What makes you so certain people aren't? Why are you so hung up on this?

Me hung up?

You're the one asking all the "what if" questions and answering them by throwing chit against the wall to see if anything sticks.

I always find it amusing when supposedly 'law-abiding hunters' look for any loophole they can find to skirt or even ignore laws. The 'SSS' types in regard to wolves come out of the same mold.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about lawbreakers, whether you know them or not. They can put stickers on their butts & whistle the Battle Hymn of the Republic for all I care. They're no better than any other poacher, as are those who encourage them.

Last edited:
One thing I've recently learned is that not only is AZGFD enforcing the Laws , so is the Feds , when it comes down to Trailcameras being placed on Federal Lands . This has compelled me to get a Research Permit with the collaboration with the BLM Biologists. We created a contract that enables the Both parties , myself and the Biologist to use data that my Trailcameras have captured . For instance , the Biologist want to know if Bats are in the area to try to locate them and analyze if a White Fungus is present on the Bats . So any pictures or video I get of Bats hitting water , will be sent to the Biologists! These Research permits will be placed on my Trailcameras. Any Tampering or Theft of the cameras will not only be subject to stealing private property , but also Stealing Federal Property !!! This also enables me to place cameras in the park .
Why do they need your cameras when they can use all of their own? If they're your cameras then they aren't federal property. Sounds like some BS to me. Either way though the beauty is any picture you get of any elk or deer now has to be kept to yourself and not shared with any hunter or guide or you're breaking the law. So keep slapping those research permits on those cams and enjoy your pictures.

Me hung up?

You're the one asking all the "what if" questions and answering them by throwing chit against the wall to see if anything sticks.

I always find it amusing when supposedly 'law-abiding hunters' look for any loophole they can find to skirt or even ignore laws. The 'SSS' types in regard to wolves come out of the same mold.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about lawbreakers, whether you know them or not. They can put stickers on their butts & whistle the Battle Hymn of the Republic for all I care. They're no better than any other poacher, as are those who encourage them.
I'm actually on your side with this topic. I'm just saying there are some issues we will have to see how they pan out. I don't think there will be as bad as a lot of people are thinking.

I think the G&F are mostly concerned about the tanks and places where there are 10 + cameras. the average guy with one camera away from the popular spots will be okay.

I think the G&F are mostly concerned about the tanks and places where there are 10 + cameras. the average guy with one camera away from the popular spots will be okay.
I didn't see any phrase that reads,"...if placed at a waterhole, guzzler or tank..." in the law. I can't believe I missed it if it's in there. :rolleyes:

I didn't see any phrase that reads,"...if placed at a waterhole, guzzler or tank..." in the law. I can't believe I missed it if it's in there. :rolleyes:
They did not specify specific places. I meant to say those place that are popular with 10+ cameras are more than likely the hot spots for the game and fish to check. Their not gonna go out of their way to check one camera. The places that look like the picture at the top are gonna be scrutinized. Just my opinion

They did not specify specific places. I meant to say those place that are popular with 10+ cameras are more than likely the hot spots for the game and fish to check. Their not gonna go out of their way to check one camera. The places that look like the picture at the top are gonna be scrutinized. Just my opinion
So to be clear, you're saying it is perfectly okay for someone to break the law as long as they're not doing it where more than one camera is involved?

Any other laws that can also be ignored because G&F might not be around?

So to be clear, you're saying it is perfectly okay for someone to break the law as long as they're not doing it where more than one camera is involved?

Any other laws that can also be ignored because G&F might not be around?
Maybe, maybe not, using a camera for whatever means you feel necessary, bird watching, tree watching, general wildlife footage. The burden of proof will be on the enforcer of the law not people on hunting website forums. What's the difference between speeding, having one drink and driving home, drinking beer and road hunting, using drones, flying over a hunting area, etc.. People are going to do what people do especially if they feel this law is BS. What's gonna stop big outfits with lots of money from paying people to take pictures with phone scopes and long-range photo optics? People do that right now as we speak and sell those pictures and animal locations. Game and fish will have to prove that the only reason you are hunting a certain area is because of a picture you have of an animal on your trail camera.

Maybe, maybe not, using a camera for whatever means you feel necessary, bird watching, tree watching, general wildlife footage. The burden of proof will be on the enforcer of the law not people on hunting website forums. What's the difference between speeding, having one drink and driving home, drinking beer and road hunting, using drones, flying over a hunting area, etc.. People are going to do what people do especially if they feel this law is BS. What's gonna stop big outfits with lots of money from paying people to take pictures with phone scopes and long-range photo optics? People do that right now as we speak and sell those pictures and animal locations. Game and fish will have to prove that the only reason you are hunting a certain area is because of a picture you have of an animal on your trail camera.
All those what-ifs have been debated for a couple years now. Reread all the past ' trail camera' threads in every internet forum to catch up.

The simple point: trail cameras for hunting purposes are now banned. No one should encourage someone else to break a rule/law while trying to hide under the guise of a 'law -abiding hunter.' Perhaps instead of looking for ways to skirt or ignore a rule/law, encouraging more hunters to follow ALL the rules/laws would result in few restrictions down the road, eh?

All those what-ifs have been debated for a couple years now. Reread all the past ' trail camera' threads in every internet forum to catch up.

The simple point: trail cameras for hunting purposes are now banned. No one should encourage someone else to break a rule/law while trying to hide under the guise of a 'law -abiding hunter.' Perhaps instead of looking for ways to skirt or ignore a rule/law, encouraging more hunters to follow ALL the rules/laws would result in few restrictions down the road, eh?
I agree, I just wish that one of those animals that I have had on camera in the past got killed by me. I never once killed an animal that I had on camera; these cameras have been in the same place for over 8 years now. Guess I just suck at hunting, the camera ban seems petty to me. I think there should be a time frame for camera use before a hunt, like flying over and waiting till the next day to hunt. flat out banning something pisses people off and makes people want to rebel, like a mask/vaccine mandate.

I agree, I just wish that one of those animals that I have had on camera in the past got killed by me. I never once killed an animal that I had on camera; these cameras have been in the same place for over 8 years now. Guess I just suck at hunting, the camera ban seems petty to me. I think there should be a time frame for camera use before a hunt, like flying over and waiting till the next day to hunt. flat out banning something pisses people off and makes people want to rebel, like a mask/vaccine mandate.
Guess you won't suffer much with the ban then. ;)

I wish there was a way that we could do a poll and find out how many average hunters, not guides or outfitters have actually killed an animal they had on camera versus not killing it. I bet the odds are in favor of the animals not being killed and most people only having pictures of the one that got away.

Guide and outfitters are different than the average hunter because when they get and animal of interest on camera, they will pay some recently graduated from HS kids who don't have jobs to follow that animal around until the big money hunter shows up to shoot it.

If this was offered to me 30 years ago after high school, I would have prolly done it.

I wish there was a way that we could do a poll and find out how many average hunters, not guides or outfitters have actually killed an animal they had on camera versus not killing it. I bet the odds are in favor of the animals not being killed and most people only having pictures of the one that got away.

Guide and outfitters are different than the average hunter because when they get and animal of interest on camera, they will pay some recently graduated from HS kids who don't have jobs to follow that animal around until the big money hunter shows up to shoot it.

If this was offered to me 30 years ago after high school, I would have prolly done it.
Cameras not only show where game is located; they also show where it isn't located.

I actually think it somewhat amusing that this 'tool' is so important when it does nothing for the user. As you said, you're the quasi-poster child of that. :)

Why do they need your cameras when they can use all of their own? If they're your cameras then they aren't federal property. Sounds like some BS to me. Either way though the beauty is any picture you get of any elk or deer now has to be kept to yourself and not shared with any hunter or guide or you're breaking the law. So keep slapping those research permits on those cams and enjoy your pictures.
I have collaborated with the BLM Biologists in the past on several occasions. My Step Dad retired as a Biologist and my collaboration began about 30 years ago when I was only 12 years old , volunteering doing Surveys on different reptiles . Tortoise , Gila Monster , Mountain King Snake etc . All on the Arizona Strip . With certain protocols in place , yes , the Trail Cameras im utilizing are also the property of the Federal government as I've Granted it to be . Any specific data I've collected will be forwarded to the Biologist in the Agency ! Initially , we are on a 2 year Contract and see how that goes .

There should be a restriction against cameras within 1/4 mile of a man made water source.

While they are at it they can enforce the camping restriction too.

Cameras not only show where game is located; they also show where it isn't located.

I actually think it somewhat amusing that this 'tool' is so important when it does nothing for the user. As you said, you're the quasi-poster child of that. :)

I think the thing that seems the most bothersome to the average guy is they had something they got enjoyment our of (putting up cameras, the anticipation of what they might see, the reward of seeing an animal you'll probably never see again) and it's gone. Most people tend to look through their own lens. And while we all know that the big outfitters can run hundreds of cameras and zero in on one animal, that doesn't mean Joe Average didn't have something taken away from him too. Camera trap "hunting" is as close as some get to harvesting. It gives them hope, keeps them coming back. That's gone. Sure they can still go out and put in the miles but not everyone has unlimited time or funds to wander around the woods as much as we'd like. While you might not harvest that particular animal, it cameras can shorten the learning curve.

I'm from PA and it's different here in that it's mostly private land, and for eastern whitetails, finding a buck on your cam mid summer means you are probably in his core area and outside of the rut, he'll typically be within a mile or so of that spot most of the time. Even in the rut, he still is likely close and could easily be right in that spot. Out west, if an elk walked by your camera once in July, the chances of him walking by it again in November, with some exceptions, are close to zero.

I know it's a lot more complicated than that, and everyone wants to see the fairest opportunities for everyone, but as technology changes, that's going to be harder to define and police. AZGFD is trying, but there's always going to be someone finding a way around the laws. I have a personal saying that you can't eliminate technology. Whether it's making nuclear weapons, machine guns, or trail cams, it's impossible to put the genie back in the bottle, no matter how hard we try.

I can still put a camera up on a waterhole in AZ.
Yes, but not for HUNTING, as I noted above. Obviously, I'm only guessing, but I would bet the farm there are less than a dozen cameras on waterholes across the state that do not belong to outfitters, hunters or the G&F dept.

Last edited:
I can still put a camera up on a waterhole in AZ.
Yes you can , anyone can , unless you happen to plan on Hunting on that Unit . If I Draw a 13a Archery Tag this year (cross my fingers I do) i can still set cameras on 13b , not 13a ! Hence , I am only setting Cameras on 13b this year !!

How about private land? Can you use them there?
Not for hunting purposes.

Section R12-4-303 - Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition:

5. A person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera, or images, video, to include location, time, or date data from a trail camera, for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife or locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife.

6. A person shall not use images of wildlife produced or transmitted from a satellite or other device that orbits the earth for the purpose of:
a. Taking or aiding in the take of wildlife, or
b. Locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife.
c. This subsection does not prohibit the use of mapping systems or programs.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom