Airline optics

Wyo_Roadhunter

We will be flying out at the end of May to NZ and I'm wanting to take my spotting scope and leica geovids. I was wondering how everyone has flown with optics. My thought is to buy a day pack to use as my carry on and just carry them in that but I'm not sure if they'll let that through. So just wondering how big of a back pack people have used as a carry on. I'm looking at the kuiu 1500 or 2000

We will be flying out at the end of May to NZ and I'm wanting to take my spotting scope and leica geovids. I was wondering how everyone has flown with optics. My thought is to buy a day pack to use as my carry on and just carry them in that but I'm not sure if they'll let that through. So just wondering how big of a back pack people have used as a carry on. I'm looking at the kuiu 1500 or 2000
I take a 7000 cu inch pack as my carry on. Take the spotter and binos in there no problem. I can fit most of my hunting clothes in there too no problem.

My carry on pack:

I take a 7000 cu inch pack as my carry on. Take the spotter and binos in there no problem. I can fit most of my hunting clothes in there too no problem.

My carry on pack:

Thanks! I have a kuiu frame pack with a big bag and small bag I was just nervous they'd turn it down because it's to long

I always fly with my Mystery Ranch Metcalf as my carryon with my optics. I try to take what I would consider my essentials in my carryon so if my luggage gets lost I can still hunt. On domestic flights I will fly with frozen capes in my carryon as well to ensure they won’t go bad if my luggage gets lost. It’s worked well for me so far.

I’m headed down in the first of May, planning on checking my optics with my rifle since Air New Zealand doesn’t allow much of a carry on for us economy passengers ?

I’m headed down in the first of May, planning on checking my optics with my rifle since Air New Zealand doesn’t allow much of a carry on for us economy passengers ?
You'll have to let me know how it goes! I'm to nervous of them losing my stuff to check with my bow ? if they lose my bow I don't really care but my optics would be bad haha

Rem,
I've always just taken a daypack and for my optics. Just place your goodies in there and carry it on. (No knives or AMMO, don't ask how I accidentally found that out. Haha)
You don't need anything super special. Just a small cheap book bag is fine and there's always some place to leave it when you arrive and use it for your return trip.
Zeke

I've carry my scope in hand luggage on several occasions, I've now got myself two large jiffy bags which just fit the scope (Kowa 823) and slip the scope into one of them, then slip the resulting parcel into the other before using tape to hold the bags in place. Never had any bother with security with the scope, and the jiffy bags stop any knocks etc.

Enjoy your travels.

I'm jealous Remi!
When flying to Canada we always did carry on for optics, cameras, etc. I can only assume your Dad is going as well?
It will be an amazing trip I'm sure. We will expect a blow by blow recap with pictures when you get back.
Have a great time!

I’ve carried my sky 5900 on before. Just compress it to the size you need. That being said if you’re going to do the mainstream standard NZ hunt that most people do, you won’t need any optics. If you’re doing some type of bad a55 DIY backpacking tahr and chamois hunt, then you need to report back about it!!

I’ve carried my sky 5900 on before. Just compress it to the size you need. That being said if you’re going to do the mainstream standard NZ hunt that most people do, you won’t need any optics. If you’re doing some type of bad a55 DIY backpacking tahr and chamois hunt, then you need to report back about it!!

Stag will be the canned hunt, but tahr will be backpack hunting. Shooting a stag cause you have to while your there and a little rag horn looking one didn't get my attention much haha. But the tahr is what I'm excited for. I plan on having it full bodied and put it by my mountain goat from last year.

I'm jealous Remi!
When flying to Canada we always did carry on for optics, cameras, etc. I can only assume your Dad is going as well?
It will be an amazing trip I'm sure. We will expect a blow by blow recap with pictures when you get back.
Have a great time!
Yeah dads going too! There will definitely be lots of pictures. Judging by the amount of deer I'm seeing in wyo after this winter, this might be my only successful hunt this year haha.

I have seen people that had to check their "carry on" due to size or weight. Each airline has it's own rules for allowable carry on, but it all depends on the gate crew. Sometimes they check, sometimes they do not.
If you have to check your pack, your pack and optics will be treated with the same rough treatment as all of the other checked luggage. That may make you very unhappy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom