Airline travel, best rifle case?

heywouldya

Very Active Member
I'll be hunting in Alberta this fall and would appreciate some input on your favorite rifle case when flying. I've seen those luggage handlers act like throwing bags was an Olympic event. Thanks in advance.

Ones similar to pelican are nice will rollers on one end. I often put my other luggage on top and roll it through the airport.

I gut the foam and pad my rifle with clothes and other large items. Just make sure it’s under the max wt allowed.

Thank you for the replies! Do you prefer the 1700 series or the Vault cases? Or one of the other models? Or am I making this to complicated for myself :)?

Mine is a 15 year old 1750 series double gun case. It's been on airplanes, ATVs, back of pickup trucks- it has a few scratches and dings but the guns are all snug as bugs.

There are a lot of anti-hunting/anti-gun baggage handlers. I’ve seen some messed up stuff. In Alaska one time I saw a guys gun case and the barrel was sticking about six inches out through a hole in the end of the case(aluminum), don’t use aluminum cases they snag and rip.

I use an SKB golf case it can hold several rifles in their soft cases and I stuff my clothes inside also. Nobody has a clue that it’s guns inside and it gets treated fine. Slap a couple golf stickers on the outside.

There isn’t a better way to fly with guns than this.

I’ve used a very tough Aluminum case for last 30 plus years- it is locked with big hinges & 4 locks for using padlocks & keys. It’s exterior is scratched but it has held up quite well-it does the job A -1under any situation. It cost approximately $200 brand new in 1990 but likely sells for $ 300 or more now. Top of the line !
Best one I ever found , mfg in Washington State.
Look it up on Internet! Good luck ?! Happy Hunting!
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado ????
There are a lot of anti-hunting/anti-gun baggage handlers. I’ve seen some messed up stuff. In Alaska one time I saw a guys gun case and the barrel was sticking about six inches out through a hole in the end of the case(aluminum), don’t use aluminum cases they snag and rip.

I use an SKB golf case it can hold several rifles in their soft cases and I stuff my clothes inside also. Nobody has a clue that it’s guns inside and it gets treated fine. Slap a couple golf stickers on the outside.

There isn’t a better way to fly with guns than this.

I’ve used a very tough Aluminum case for last 30 plus years- it is locked with big hinges & 4 locks for using padlocks & keys. It’s exterior is scratched but it has held up quite well-it does the job A -1under any situation. It cost approximately $200 brand new in 1990 but likely sells for $ 300 or more now. Top of the line !
Best one I ever found , mfg in Washington State.
Look it up on Internet! Good luck ?! Happy Hunting!
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado ????
I’ve seen those before and they are tough. I should have qualified that with the average aluminum case. Most of them are quite thin and not something I would fly with.

I have several cases including an SKB 2 gun and an SKB 4 gun. They are very durable but very heavy. The four gun is always overweight baggage when it has a couple rifles in it. I don’t use them anymore for flying unless I’m bow hunting then I will use the 4 gun SKB. With it I can take two bows or one bow and two rifles.

The SKB golf case is my go to, I learned that one from some old guys that go to Africa every year. Very incognito which is important at some layover airports.

The gun case isn’t normally the issue.
It’s how you send your AMMO.
Every country is different.
Some want in in the same case.
Some want it packed separately.
Some want it marked in a labeled container.
BLAH

The gun case isn’t normally the issue.
It’s how you send your AMMO.
Every country is different.
Some want in in the same case.
Some want it packed separately.
Some want it marked in a labeled container.
BLAH
I've not come across differing rules amongst countries other than in South Africa where the cartridge headstamp must match the rifle. That doesn't mean there aren't different rules I just haven't come across them. Weight and packaging are pretty much the same I believe.

I bought the pelican knockoff at Harbor Freight. No complaints, took a rifle and a shotgun and 3 boxes of ammo to Texas. No problems

I have a pelican 1750. Seems really sturdy. Haven't had it on a flight yet but dad is probably going to use it for his rifle when we go to NZ so I'll let you know how it holds up in June haha.

NalPak.
0B5C892E-BC43-4846-977C-9B4D586C62AA.png

APACHE From Harbor Freight it’s more than a knock off from Pelican, check one out you will not be disappointed!!!!

My Tuffpak 1050 has been to many far away places and has held up very well. Multiple trips to Africa and Europe included. It lacks big flat sides so that the baggage handlers can not stack heavy stuff on top, it would be hard to throw, and it looks like a golf club case. Having a case that does not look like a gun case certainly has it's benefits in many places.

I have a couple of Pelican cases also and will use them for CONUS travel when only bringing one rifle. The Pelican is tough, but the Tuffpak is tougher. The Pelican is a fair bit less expensive that the Tuffpak.

Weight is a big factor also that many do not consider.

I travel for both work & leisure. I have tried every case you can think of. I now only use Pelican. Even my suitcase is a Pelican because I was tired of dropping money every other month on a new suitcase because TSA or the airlines throw them off of plane.

PELICAN

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom