Airline Travel/Hunting Trip

Zim

Very Active Member
It's been 15 years since I last flew out for a hunt. I almost always drive. But at age 60, Indiana to Oregon destroyed me last year, so I am looking to fly out for antelope & deer hunts I have in south central Oregon this year. Wanted to see if anyone might have any general tips for me to avoid mistakes. I have it down to either Southwest Airlines out of Midway Chicago, or American out of South Bend. (1st & 2nd baggage costs are offset by long term parking costs + extra drive) All costs I've evaluated seems like a draw, except price for a 3rd bag. SW is $75, AA is $150. Anybody got any strategy tips? I was thinking maybe shipping a box of clothes or something and flying with the meat. Not much on an antelope, which is the first hunt. Firearm policies seem similar. Thanks for any input.

Flying via Reno seems like a no brainer compared to options Boise or Portland. Hotels much cheaper in Reno, 2 hour shorter drive to Warner Unit. Rental truck for two weeks is pretty brutal @ $1,160. But doesn't seem like any way around that.

Last edited:
This is not from personal experience but I’d probably avoid Chicago and any other city with strict firearms policies when flying. Whether it’s destination, origination, or even lay overs. Ive flown for a few hunts and it’s pretty painless. Print the specific airlines and TSA firearms policy and keep a copy with you. Most agents know the drill and it’s no issue at all so long as you package everything as required. You are on the right track shipping clothes. Going out I usually pack my gear in a cooler And then ship my clothes back home and put meat in the cooler for return flight. Are the hunts at different times (two separate trips)?

Two trips. First one antelope Aug. 22-Sept. 3. Then deer October 3 - 17. We'd prefer South Bend anyway as it's only 25 minute drive from home compared to 1 1/2 hour to Midway.

Last edited:
Any chance you’d have a place to leave your stuff until you come back the second time? If you could leave it then book a one way ticket the second time, rent a car and drive everything back. At least then it’s only a one way 30 hour drive.

Any chance you’d have a place to leave your stuff until you come back the second time? If you could leave it then book a one way ticket the second time, rent a car and drive everything back. At least then it’s only a one way 30 hour drive.

Sounded like a great idea initially. But upon checking a drop off location so far from the pickup the rental car rates were near double at $2,100. ?

Last edited:
See if a SUV rental would work. Usually much cheaper than a truck every time I’ve looked. That’s all I’ve used over the years and it’s been fine for me, plus I often sleep in the back with the rear seats down.

I’ve rental mid sized SUVs for two weeks plus for $450 to $650 in SLC, Boise, and Jackson hole over the past 10 years. Always try to use enterprise because their service is the best but sometime they are pricey and need to use a different company. Need to check rates at different times as they change drastically from week to week. I’ll reserve a vehicle and keep checking, then if better rate comes up I just reserve it and cancel the last one.

They are pretty pricey at Enterprise where I rent for business trips.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom