AK moose 2019

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I pulled the trigger on a moose hunt in AK this fall "last minute" a few weeks ago. I got lucky an got a tip about a good transporter. He had one opening this fall and was willing to take me solo (many will not).

I have been trying to plan a true DIY moose hunt for 15 years with no luck. My transporter is not true DIY in my opinion. Nearly everyone kills a moose or chooses to pass. I "paid" for a good location. I still have to hunt, butcher, pack etc but IMO this is closer to a guided hunt then true diy.

I leave 9/15 an return when done. I am not booking my flight home. I will post some stuff here since I know a lot of guys like to here these stories.

My flight there is booked, going over gear now. I am in the best shape of my life which is one reason I pulled the trigger on this hunt. I am actually trying to gain a little weight for this trip - so I can pack more.

300 win mag. I am flying out of Bethel. No antler restrictions which for those who know is a huge relief. Meat must stay on bones (yikes).

Looking for advice on what calling cd's to buy to listen to. I have some but want more.

Sounds like a great time, congratulations and I can't wait for the hunt summery!

By the way they are way bigger once they're on the ground...

Pretty easy to cow call and moose grunt. I used Wayne kubut? videos and grunt tube. Just gets boring doing it all day long. Meat on the bone is tough. We had 3 guys and after the first moose we promised to keep it close to river or pass. Two trips. 2 out of three shot moose each time, problem is I was the one guy that didn't each time. :(

Good luck

Going solo on a moose hunt is going to be a rude awakening if you get one down far from where a plane can get to. Good luck. I'll be looking forward to the story when you get back. I always leave my return flight open when going to Alaska. I like to spend more time there when I can.

Got back a few days ago more to come. I was solo and got my moose the first day. I almost passed him up. I actually did a couple times that day - luckily I came to my senses.

5210120190917141120.jpg

Sorry but I have been sworn to secrecy regarding where I hunted and my transporter. It was a lot of work once I tagged out but not as bad as I had anticipated. I was expecting a bull twice the size of bull elk I had taken which was not the case. It was bigger but not a lot.

Big, big bull. That's really a neat trophy. Good for you!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Wow that is a great looking Bull, How many packtrips did you take to move him to where you got picked up.
You're one tough SOB.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Can't share drop camp into sorry. I killed fist day at 40 yards with a 300 win mag tikka. Would have been a slam dunk bow shot. I snuck up on him bedded at 50 yards, called and shot him broadside rubbing a bush. I did the exact same thing minus the shot to a 45" bull earlier that day. It took my 9 trips and I only had to go a half mile. It took 2 solid days about 10 or 12 hours a day. I saved cap but not skull horns only. Rolling him over was nearly impossible solo because of that stupid hump!

It was amazing weather was good and hunting was easy because of remote area and high dollar transporter IMO.

I saw many moose and a black bear and a musk ox flying in.

Meat is great.

I a happy with my moose. I have a LOT of points for other species in the lower 48 and can draw great tags every year now so I doubt I will go back. No partner, pricey and a LOT of hard work. If I had a partner and found a cheaper option I would. He is big enough I am ok if I never kill another Alaksan/Yukon moose. I will draw WY shiras & sheep in the next few years and I have tons of elk points in Utah. By the time those are done I will be over 50.....

I go lucky to find my transporter and convince him to take a city boy from Ohio and he had 1 opening this fall and I have been working out 6 days a week and I am in great shape and actually tried to gain 10 pounds for his trip! Likely I will never be this physically ready again in my life so I went for it this year.

Nosler partion 180 grain bullets. Fist shot he staggered and took a step 2nd shot he dropped. He was quartering towards me and likely took out enough muscle and/or bone he simply went down.

They are big animals.

Sworn to secrecy? You posted it in another thread... haha

Nice bull, and there no no secrets in Alaska.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom