Al Qaida suspects sue Boeing, with ACLU's help

viking421a

Unbelievable. If anyone needed any more evidence that the ACLU is an evil organization, here it is.

Al Qaida suspects sue Boeing, with ACLU's help

WASHINGTON ? Boeing has been sued by suspected Al Qaida operatives transported by the CIA to Arab countries for interrogation and torture.

The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a federal lawsuit against Boeing subsidiary Jeppesen Dataplan on behalf of three Al Qaida suspects transported by the CIA under the so-called "extraordinary rendition program."
The suit charged that Jeppesen helped the CIA transport the three plaintiffs to secret locations in Egypt and Morocco, where the company knew they would undergo torture, Middle East Newsline reported.

"American corporations should not be profiting from a CIA rendition program that is unlawful and contrary to core American values," ACLU executive director Anthony Romero said. "Corporations that choose to participate in such activity can and should be held legally accountable."

The plaintiffs named in the suit in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, were Binyam Mohamed, Abou Elkassim Britel and Ahmed Agiza. Britel and Mohamed were said to have been flown by the CIA to Morocco. Agiza was taken to Egypt.
The suit said Jeppesen, based in San Jose, Calif., has been a key provider of flight and logistical support services for CIA aircraft in the rendition program. Since December 2001, the suit said, Jeppesen provided flight and logistical support to at least 15 CIA aircraft that conducted 70 rendition flights.

Jeppesen was said to have provided aircraft crew and flight planning services for the CIA program. The subsidiary also ensured customs clearance and security for CIA aircraft and crew.

"Jeppesen's services have been crucial to the functioning of the government's extraordinary rendition program," ACLU staff attorney Steven Watt said. "Without the participation of companies like Jeppesen, the program could not have gotten off the ground."

The suit was filed under the Alien Tort Statute, which permits aliens to bring claims in the United States for alleged violations that involve American citizens or assets. The statute accounts for torture.

In 2002, Mohamed, an Ethiopian national, was transported to Morocco, where he spent 18 months in prison in what the suit asserted included torture by the intelligence services of the North African kingdom. In 2004, he was taken by the CIA to a secret U.S. detention facility in Kabul, Afghanistan, and then to the U.S. Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where he remains.

Britel was flown from Pakistan to Morocco in 2002. He was said to have remained in Morocco. Agiza was taken from Sweden to Egypt and remains in detention.

"For the first five weeks after his arrival in Egypt, Mr. Agiza was detained incommunicado," the suit said. "During his time and for some 10 weeks thereafter, he was repeatedly and severely tortured and denied meaningful access to consular officials, family members and lawyers."

Yep.....pretty jacked up. Oh but I can here it now....."we still have the best justice system in the world".......uuuummmmmm...... not when crap like this and all the other bs is allowed! This stuff simply needs to be changed! I sure don't have the answers, but dang this is getting ridiculous! Robbers suing the people they robbed, murderers suing the families of the people they killed.....and WINNING! What a crock.
Archerman - Archery hunting addict!

Yeah, what's the world coming to when you can't wisk someone away to a 3rd world country with no laws to torture them. if they're guilty they can be tried as terrorist, if they're innocent lets kill them so they can't sue, it's cheaper than keeping them in prison with no outside contact for the rest of their life.

Just curious dude what you consider to be torture? Specific examples please.

I have yet to hear an example of our troops using actual torture against the enemy.

On another note it's interesting to hear that you apparantley support americans lending aid and comfort to the the enemy: al queda.

The troops aren't the ones doing the torture, most of that goes on in other places with people picked up all over the world. what are they doing? I'm not sure and niether are you. I can condone some forms of torture on some people for the right reasons. if you read about some of these cases innocent people were picked up and flown to other countries with no legal councel or rights, some were tortured, that's not what America is about. niether one of us have enough information for a good debate but let's say " suspects " means suspected, not guilty so torture on people who might have done or know something is un American, torture in any form used to be. lending aid to the enemy and going easy on torturing suspects is two different things. I'm not defending terrorist but once we lose the moral high ground it's a slippery slope to the level of our enemy, if we're no better than them then we deserve no help or sympathy from the rest of the world. go ahead and start your squealing but some high ranking military officials have said just what I've said, it's not crazy talk.

Well you are right about one thing dude, we don't have any evidence that torture is occurring so why assume that it is occurring? Because the ACLU and terrorists say it is? You state that it is going on, what exactly is going on?

You can be sure we aren't scooping up off of the street innocent people for no reason at all and without any evidence against them and taking them to a foriegn country.

Lets back our people all around the world trying their best to keep us safe and not support the enemy.

We know some form of torture is going on, Bush fought to get it. people have been scooped up around the world and flown to where torture is legal that's a known fact, how many were innocent or the were wrong person I can't tell you. I'm not saying it's always wrong but this subject is very controversial even among the experts, I hope it's not abused.

I have to disagree with you. As you said previously we don't know what is going on. Because terrorists are taken to other countries other than the US does not mean they are being tortured. And NO bush did not fight to get the ability for our forces to torture.

How many innocent lives were saved by this practice we also don't know.

I am willing to give the people doing the best they can to protect us the benefit of the doubt rather than assume first of all they are torturing people and second of all they are doing it to innocent people in no way affiliated with terrorism.

What do you mean Bush didn't fight for the right to keep torturing people? don't you remember McCain and Powell having a showdown with Bush? more of a show than a showdown really.

Again most of this is not done by the military, we know they've flown people to other counties for torture they've admited it. I hope it's being done in as prudent of fashion as possible, but I'm not as quick to give a green light to the government to do as they wish with anyone they wish without do process as some are. if you haven't noticed they've made a few mistakes, many mistakes on the war on terror in fact.

I agree viking421a, I have seen no evidence of torture or kidnappings by the U.S.A. So, the UCLA "suspects" the USA has participated in this horendous act, where is their proof?

IT'S BUSH'S FAULT

Where have you been? it's a known fact our government has picked people up and taken them to other countries to avoid our laws on torture and detainment. why do you think when told they couldn't do it they fought to make this program legal? they're not going to give us the details so let's hope they're not abusing the power they've been given.

4663207b4efcdab1.jpg

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

I hope they're doing it and I hope we never find out for sure. It needs to be done. Screw the ACLU

JB

dude you state in an earlier post that you aren't sure if torture is going on and now you state that it is a fact that it is happening. You can't have it both ways. If you know it to be a fact then please share your concrete evidence. Accusations from terrorists and terrorist sympathizers doesn't amount to much with most americans.

Who exactly has admitted that we flew people to other counties for the purpose of torture as you stated?

Bush never fought for a torture program. The showdown you speak of was over practices such as sleep depravation. For example blasting rock music in the terrorists cell not allowing him to sleep until he talks. That is in no way torture. Discomfort yes but not torture. Who the hell wants to make life easy for people plotting to kill us?

For the record I think we should be using some forms of torture but only in extreme situations. For example we capture someone who we know has direct information that will save lives. If the choice is either torture the terrorist or allow innocent people to die then it's an easy decision.

Are they American citizens? If not, they have no American rights. National security trumps everything.

> Where have you been? it's
>a known fact our government
>has picked people up and
>taken them to other countries
>to avoid our laws on
>torture and detainment. why do
>you think when told they
>couldn't do it they fought
>to make this program legal?
>they're not going to give
>us the details so let's
>hope they're not abusing the
>power they've been given.

If there is one organization in the Fed Gov't that is bi-partisan, it is the CIA. They have one mission, to protect the interest of the USA and it's people, no matter who is living in White House or in charge of Congress. Let's keep it that way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom