Alaska Caribou drop camp

grouseslayer

I’m planning to put a deposit down on a diy Alaska caribou hunt this winter or coming spring. I’ve done some research and talked to Outdoors International, Tok Air, and 40 Mile Air. Have also looked up Ram Aviation and Arrowhead Outfitters. I’m interested in advise on any of these transporters or anyone’s experience with them or someone else in recent years, wether it be good or bad. We are looking for a camp rental and possibly supplied food just to cut down on logistics of getting equipment up there from the lower 48. So far from a customer service stand point Outdoors Internationals has been best to chat with and follow up. Tok Air was a little pricy for me and he doesn’t rent camps but he does seem to have a good reputation. Also quality of bulls plays a roll This is a bucket list hunt for my dad and I and will likely be the only chance he has to get up there due to his age. I did post inquiring on this a couple years ago but life got in the way and other things pushed the trip aside. I am pretty much ready to book now just need to decided who to go with and which dates we want. Feel free to PM me

the only bou hunt in AK I have done was with 40 mile air. Great pilots and put us on game. We brought our own gear and were limited to 50# each but that was plenty. Tough to get in with them if not with a repeat but it was a great experience and I will definitely book with them again.

57252DED-A4A2-4055-8746-D91664562D47.jpeg

45FB73F0-C29D-4F4A-9845-AD0C227AF18C.jpeg

7167A763-87E3-4B2F-97DA-26470F7C87DB.jpeg

6865F6E9-4051-4BD2-B23A-02E3268DCDD6.jpeg

D431AC96-D2A0-48AA-915C-2E1B2B720B1E.jpeg

Elkhuntin where do I sign up???? Those are incredible bulls and what I dream of finding on this hunt. What year did you go and what was your season dates? Did you hunt from a lake or were you on a hilltop?

Caribou move about 15 miles a day usually, on average. Find someone who will find the caribou herd and put you down there. There might be a lake close by and there might not be. If the guy has float planes only, keep looking. The year I went we flew over lakes with caribou hunters camped there and there were no caribou for miles in any direction. The guy I went with no longer does it, but that was 20 years ago anyway.

We went August 21-27,2019. They did a ridge top drop for us. Got snow the first day and then it melted off and was beautiful. 40 mile air was great. I’m going to try to get a moose drop with them in the next couple years. Repeat customers get open dates before they open it to new customers. I look forward to hearing how your adventure goes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom