Alaska Moose and Caribou

S

sirfilbert

My wife is treating me to a caribou hunt this fall and that got me to thinkin'. A gentlemen she works with went last year on a fly in drop camp, unguided and had a great time but I got to thinkin' that maybe since she was so gracious as to encourage the hunt that I should find a Lodge she could stay at while I was out huntin'. This way I could probably talk her into a moose tag as well. What I'm looking for is a reputable and price reasonable outfitter out of a lodge. Any info would be appreciated.

I don't know of any unguided caribou/moose hunts out of a lodge. Usually, it would have to be a guided hunt which would have that and then they usually fly you out to spike camps or use horses.

I am going on a caribou/moose fly in drop hunt out of Kotzebue this fall. If you want any information on that kind of hunt feel free to contact me.

Brett
[email protected]

in king salmon there is a very nice lodge and you can do the drop camp with mike mccary. if you want more info e-mail me.

Thanks for the replies. I am pondering now going to Canada. It would seem that one can get more bang for the buck there. I will still keep Alaska in mind. Thanks again.

I am still in the researching phase at the moment. Looking at the Yukon, and other parts of western Canada but eastern Canada also seems to have some reasonably priced packages. I know the moose are not quite as large but I'm not to greedy.

Check out Jim Shockeys outfit in the Yukon--(Rogue River outfitters) Go to jimshockey.com to check it out. I worked for the outfit a couple years ago and if you want a big moose and a big caribou this is the place to go. One of the guides i worked with told me that the area has had world record moose taken out of it, and i know it is still capable of producing some monster bulls. Look in the record books and see how many moose come from the Hess river area.
Hopefully im headed back up there for this season, i just have to talk to jim a little more and see where i will end up.

Good luck,

Matt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom