Alder MT

BigMass

Been hunting out of Alder since last Wed. temperature hit minus 18 one night. Things are warming up now and my trailer has thawed enough that everything has started working again. I had hiked up on a ridge yesterday looking for mule deer, saw a couple of does and fawns and two tiny bucks. When I came down off the mountain there were people scrambling everywhere in the valley. A herd of over a hundred elk had come down through public land headed for Ted Turner's ranch. By the time they were spotted and word spread they had already reached private property. People were scrambling above them on public land hoping to find a straggler I guess. When I drove down Upper Ruby road they were crossing the fence and I got a few pictures of about half the herd.
1727ejumpingfence.jpg

4296efallen.jpg

cool pics! yea, is the fence still up? Not sure how that cow made it through with the wire over her knees like that, guessing she ended up right next to her girl friend making snow angels...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

The fence is seriously built, it's on Ted Turners place, it sustained no damage. They had opened a lot of gates on both sides of the road to make it easier for the elk, but they still hit the fence.

I was hunting Mule Deer in area 620 opening week. Driving South I saw all these trucks parked and hunters out in the Sage in horse shoe position kneeled in the sage. What the heck? but I knew what was happening. Elk drive, chasing the herd off private property into the open, so I parked and watched. Didn't take long and it was total insanity! Open fire, the herds stopped in the middle while about 25 shooters shot. Some from the road leaning over the hood. CRAZY stuff, the herd moved off and the shooters claimed their prize. ALL COWS!
Anyway, I held a $1000 dollar NR statewide Big Game Combo. There were a couple trophy class bulls in the herd, I could only watch.
Nah, No! I wouldn't have shot anyway, I go to MT to hunt.
All resident vehicles by the way.

It is really a strange phenomenon, most of these people seem pretty sane when you talk to them in town at the gas station or store. It's like they get elk fever and temporarily loose all judgement. It can be very scary. Not the experience I'm looking for. It reminds of what happens when people find an excuse to riot and pillage stores, they do things they would never do on their own, but they feed on the frenzy of those around them and loose control.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom