Aleutian goose hunt

My hunting partner took a short video in March on the ranch we hunt. He was by himself that day.

The beautiful sound of the natural world. Love it.

Yesterday, I took my wife and grandson out at 4:30 a.m. to find the cow elk with their calves. We found about 200 head at 11,000 feet. It was 25F. Hoarfrost on the pines. As the elk moved from the creek into the aspens, the cows and calves were talking to each other, in a loud chorus of mews and chirps. It was another beautiful sight and sound of the natural world.

All of these experiences are countless rewards of interacting with the natural world, more priceless than back straps and tenderloins.

Thanks eel!

Yesterday, I took my wife and grandson out at 4:30 a.m. to find the cow elk with their calves. We found about 200 head at 11,000 feet. It was 25F. Hoarfrost on the pines. As the elk moved from the creek into the aspens, the cows and calves were talking to each other, in a loud chorus of mews and chirps. It was another beautiful sight and sound of the natural world.

All of these experiences are countless rewards of interacting with the natural world, more priceless than back straps and tenderloins.

Thanks eel!
Leave the cow elk alone this time of year! You’re the reason they have closed areas to calving!

Thanks eel!
It's funny how we get in touch with nature. These geese head north in the Spring and by about April 10th there is not a goose to be found. It's dead quiet from then until sometime in September or early October. Then one day I'll be out in the yard and I'll hear it. Very faint at first, and almost like my ears are playing tricks. I'll stop what I'm doing and listen again, and sure enough, the unmistakable sound of a flock of Aleutians on their migration south. It's like that sound is imprinted on my brain. If my wife is with me she won't hear it until they get closer. She says I have ears like a bat when it comes to geese. Then I stop and ask myself where did summer go?

It's funny how we get in touch with nature. These geese head north in the Spring and by about April 10th there is not a goose to be found. It's dead quiet from then until sometime in September or early October. Then one day I'll be out in the yard and I'll hear it. Very faint at first, and almost like my ears are playing tricks. I'll stop what I'm doing and listen again, and sure enough, the unmistakable sound of a flock of Aleutians on their migration south. It's like that sound is imprinted on my brain. If my wife is with me she won't hear it until they get closer. She says I have ears like a bat when it comes to geese. Then I stop and ask myself where did summer go?
Nice haiku

Leave the cow elk alone this time of year! You’re the reason they have closed areas to calving!
Good point SS! I’ve been guilty of worse, I’m sorry to say. In this case I was on a paved highway, with highway traffic. It was however a few hours prior to heavy traffic.
Still, your point is well taken.

Interesting, elk are almost always in the same places, at certain times of the year, after year. And I rarely find them in new locations. People zip right by them and never see them. Some do but aren’t interested however, most never notice anything but the white line.

2lumpy didn't tell you about how he scared off a pack of wolves and saved at least 4 calf elk that day.
That was an earlier trip eel. As I’ve gotten older my short term memory is not what it used to be.

Who is this SS! feller, do I need to keep an eye out for some ambitious EPA agent knocking on my door.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom