ALL California forests closed through Sept 21?!?!?

Snoopdogg

Long Time Member
Due to fires, close everything? They said they'll re-evaluate day-to-day last week through today, then at the last minute, extend a week? Yeah, right.

So the press release lists Jonathan Groveman, (707) 562-8995 from the Forest Service as a contact.

The fire burning in California from Covelo through Trinity County and Mendocino County is now the biggest in state history and nowhere near under control.
I really don’t think that they want any hunters in the area?? And just waiting for the next fire ? to flare up

Prepare for a bowl of tag soup, I don't think they will open the national forests until we have some heavy rain.

That just doesn't fly. I expected the Mendo to be closed, that's obvious and understandable. Every one of my Mendo spots is toast.

The B's are really big and spread out. I need them to know they have to take hunters needs strongly into consideration when making fell-swoop declarations--this ain't COVID.

I have to make vacation plans 6 months in advance. "Sorry" ain't gonna cut it.

And no, I don't wanted to get burned to death in a fiery inferno.

Last edited:
Tough deal for me. Most of the places I hunt are not burning right now but if they closed only the areas burning then let loose the herd with 35,000 b tags into the open areas the consequences could be very damaging to the herds of many locations. That is without even considering the consequences of more fires started by high human activity.

On the other hand..... I wanna hunt!

As far as x zones and special hunts I wish they'd let them hunt as the mentioned overconcentration of hunters wouldn't be a risk.

I dont know....tough deal for sure.

Due to fires, close everything? They said they'll re-evaluate day-to-day last week through today, then at the last minute, extend a week? Yeah, right.

So the press release lists Jonathan Groveman, (707) 562-8995 from the Forest Service as a contact.
They don't want us up there catch them lighting these fires,so they can call it all caused by climate change.

They don't want us up there catch them lighting these fires,so they can call it all caused by climate change.

is that chinese???
Sorry about that.
The democrats don't want us up in the hills catching them starting fires. So they can blame climate change on the fires.

I've never heard of closing the entire NF down before, but they got us to close our businesses and wear masks, so why not give it a try. And we thought the NF forest belonged to the people.

If they're doing daily review of the order, they sure as sh!t dont share that info. Nothing changes on the website until it does.

Day 1 - Hey, we're closing everything in SoCal
Day 2 - *crickets*
Day 3- Hey, we're closing evrery G@damned forest (safety!)
Day 4 - 7 *lots of crickets*
Day 7 - (end of closure order day) Hey let's do another week, eff your hunting! (Safety!) P.S. We'll review daily!
Day 8-14 - Crickets followed up with another extension????

What I recall is the initial closure of a portion of the NF system with a date window of 9/7 through 9/14 followed by a closure of the entire state NF system with a day by day consideration (that I never saw any status info on) then followed by the current agenda of closure through the 21st that I believe is a hard closure then it is supposed to be evaluated for the following future.

Now, what they are looking at to evaluate, who knows?

They aren't going to set a bar, that would give us reasonable expectations.

I was out hunting one really dry year and came across a fire that was obvious arson. I drove out to report it, (before I had a cell phone)and lead the fire crew right to the fire. When we got there some deer hunters already had it contained. They don't want our help anymore.

119178868_10219608346894089_5416209401692525913_n.jpg

Q) Forest Service closure orders include an exemption for “Persons with a Forest Service non-special-use written authorization to conduct non-recreational activities, such as harvesting timber or forest products, or grazing livestock.” Does this exemption apply to hunting?

A) No, this exemption does not apply to hunting. Hunting is considered and managed as a recreational public use of Forests. All Forests are currently closed to protect the public and our employees due to the unprecedented fire season and the additional risks associated with extreme fire weather and fast-moving fire conditions throughout the state.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would imagine going home would not be considered a recreational public use. Just a guess.

Appears so. This "daily evaluation" is a crock of sh!t. I've made several calls, even local forest employees I called agree wholesale closures of the forests are a cop out.

I spoke with the office that made the decision on wholesale closures vs. targeted closures. They called me back.

They need to hear from us and what the closure means to us.

Forest Service
Pacific Southwest Region
1323 Club Drive
Vallejo, CA 94592
Voice: 707.562.8737

Well for me I like to help keep the forest clean by picking up trash and clearing roads of obstructions like branches.

Would this excuse work over say I want to hunt?

If we have a dry winter this winter it will really be bad next fall, and if we have a wet winter the grass will grow
tall next spring and be really bad next fall. :)
This Country isn’t the Amazon, I guess that’s what they want ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom