Almost 2 years later...

Texan_Devil

I posted on here back in October 2019 that my wife and I were moving to Washington from Texas.. Well life got in the way and we had to put it on hold. Finally, we are less than a week from making our journey to move to Bremerton (where my wife got a job and is 45 minutes from her mother). I am looking forward to getting to spend a lot more time with my son (2.5 years) in the outdoors.

I am going to be doing OTC tags this year, hopefully elk and blacktail. In the mean time, I am going to hike and fish as much as I can this summer. I have done minimal hunting/fishing out west (couple years in Arizona with little success), but grew up hunting and saltwater fishing in south Texas. If yall have any advice or pointers yall want to throw my way I will take it! I hope yall had a great season!

Yea, turn around.
Nah, half joking. It's a great place for outdoor recreation. General OTC deer & elk can be frustrating, pretty good otc bear hunting, fishing can be tough to beat. Don't pay attention to politics here or you'll be headed back to Texas.

Last edited:
The northwest has its own perks if you’re willing to look for them. My kids and I love crabbing and clamming while we’re in the off season. There all kinds of fishing options. There are some good waterfowl hunting opportunities as well.

Texas politics arent all they are cracked up to be.. we are quickly losing the number of rural voters and that will soon turn our state blue.. im from houston where they havent voted republican since 1976.. houston is a crap hole..

Ive decided to not let politics run my life, i want to enjoy my time and family and want to live near the mountains and ocean..

The northwest has its own perks if you’re willing to look for them. My kids and I love crabbing and clamming while we’re in the off season. There all kinds of fishing options. There are some good waterfowl hunting opportunities as well.
I will be doing all of these! Im not as experienced in waterfowl, but have loved it the timea ive gone! I think my son will go crazyfor clamming and know he will lose his mind the first time he sees a crab not on tv!

As a former Washington resident who still hangs out on the boards over there I would strongly suggest getting onto the hunting-washington.com forum. It’s a much more active group over there and probably the reason the washington space is usually dead here

As a former Washington resident who still hangs out on the boards over there I would strongly suggest getting onto the hunting-washington.com forum. It’s a much more active group over there and probably the reason the washington space is usually dead here
this!

The OP is one of the most diverse areas in the State.
You have Roosevelt Elk, Blacktail Deer, BlackBear, Mountain Goat and cougar for Big Game. The fishing is also diverse with many many different species in both Fresh and Salt Water. Kings, Silvers, Humpies, Dogs, Steelhead, Halibut, Ling cod, Sea bass and Red eared Surf Perch to name a few..
Shellfish are one of my favorites with Razor Clams, Steamers, Horse Clams, Geoducks, Oysters, Mussels and Dungeness Crab.
The Politics are off the hook Stupid but there is much more to life as you know, especially in the area you are going to live. Congrats on a bright future for you and your young family. Enjoy it!!!

Well, we made our first leg of the trip today, drove up to fort worth after leaving 3 hours behind schedule... ?. Headed to Amarillo tomorrow the colorado springs the next day, my 2 year old should keep it interesting!

Well, we made our first leg of the trip today, drove up to fort worth after leaving 3 hours behind schedule... ?. Headed to Amarillo tomorrow the colorado springs the next day, my 2 year old should keep it interesting!
Just remember after you leave Texas it’s no longer acceptable to throw the dirty diapers out the window...until you get to Utah.

In Laramie for the night, willdrive to Rock Springs tomorrow. These were our short drivea so my wife can keep up with her school work for her masters program. Laramie is a pretty cool town.

First diapers, now meth,how long have you been driving for swift ?
FFS cooper the guy is moving from Texas to Washington. He’s going to chit himself when he tries to go outdoors on a nice day and sees people everywhere. The meth will make him feel alone...

damn that went a little dark. On a lighter note the c store in rock springs has good breakfast burritos. Best restaurant in town is taco time. Get the seasoned meat burritos. If you wanna see some big poached animals check out the Toyota dealership in town. That’s about all...

The Toyota dealership huh? Sounds like he has a nice critter or two in there. He probably just gets lucky ?

Yeah, tough to read this posting. Washington is a sh thole now and that's really unfortuante, I want to like the state but it's a shadow of what it was 20 years ago.

The left side lunacy has destroyed beautiful Washington. Good luck OP, I hope it meets your expectations.
Lock everything you own, arm yourself and your wife. Wife and I visited there in May '19 had everything we brought stolen, Toyota truck, Yamaha 700 four wheeler.... Fortunately didn't leave my .44 under the seat for the tweaker f cks.

Yeah, tough to read this posting. Washington is a sh thole now and that's really unfortuante, I want to like the state but it's a shadow of what it was 20 years ago.

The left side lunacy has destroyed beautiful Washington. Good luck OP, I hope it meets your expectations.
Lock everything you own, arm yourself and your wife. Wife and I visited there in May '19 had everything we brought stolen, Toyota truck, Yamaha 700 four wheeler.... Fortunately didn't leave my .44 under the seat for the tweaker f cks

So where were you when your stuff got stolen? Where im from we just leave our doors unlocked so we can quit paying for the broken windows.. houses cost 500k plus and a block away is the local projects.. wanna go shopping? Better speak spanish because the clisest grocery stor is la michocana (good breakfast tacos). Property taxes are around 7k a year and quickly climbing. Every road is becoming a toll road to pay for "fixing" the potholes that just come back because the city was built on a swamp. On top of this, the private land has gotten so expensive to lease for hunting that the average family cant afford it. Im a firefighter and my wife is a teacher.. Texas public land hunts are few and far between, you can do it, but there isnt a whole lot of opportunity. The reality is, everywhere has its good and bad. I try to make the best of any situation and just enjoy my life and family.

On another note.. got a call from an FD today and have an interview next week ?

In jerome, id today, richland tomorrow!! On the home stretch!

So where were you when your stuff got stolen? Where im from we just leave our doors unlocked so we can quit paying for the broken windows.. houses cost 500k plus and a block away is the local projects.. wanna go shopping? Better speak spanish because the clisest grocery stor is la michocana (good breakfast tacos). Property taxes are around 7k a year and quickly climbing. Every road is becoming a toll road to pay for "fixing" the potholes that just come back because the city was built on a swamp. On top of this, the private land has gotten so expensive to lease for hunting that the average family cant afford it. Im a firefighter and my wife is a teacher.. Texas public land hunts are few and far between, you can do it, but there isnt a whole lot of opportunity. The reality is, everywhere has its good and bad. I try to make the best of any situation and just enjoy my life and family.

On another note.. got a call from an FD today and have an interview next week ?

In jerome, id today, richland tomorrow!! On the home stretch!
Every state has crappy parts,what’s crazy is how much real estate has risen in the last 10 years, I’ve seen some decent deals on land in Nebraska but I’m sure my wife wouldn’t go for it

Every state has crappy parts,what’s crazy is how much real estate has risen in the last 10 years, I’ve seen some decent deals on land in Nebraska but I’m sure my wife wouldn’t go for it
What part of nebraska?

I love hunting pheasants and muledeer, the place I was looking at has almost 60 acres, I could farm raise a few cows and hunt ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom