Almost sent a Pdog to the taxi man…

elks96

Long Time Member
Scouting lopes. Found a couple decent lopes but today’s big find was a Pdog. We also found a family of burrowing owls (my favorite owls by far) and my son was trying out his new maven glass…

I have good camera pictures of the pdog. This was just a snap with my phone. But the other ones turned out really good…

3C6BB1AC-E1C8-499E-9CDC-E0BC8FED9500.png

A1F0B2FD-C3FD-4183-A556-45F75225BB52.png

2650FD06-098D-4B0A-89A1-611C81D7C590.png

A5A7D536-4811-4953-904B-361FACDBF847.png

C553C82C-047B-477C-95C1-3807F04AF27F.png

Those white prairie dogs are actually quite common in Eastern and NE Wyoming. I have even seen a few colonies where they are actually the dominate majority. They are cool to see.

Basspro just gave someone 5k for a white prairie dog…

Oh and a white porcupine went for around 60k…

Cool pics and glad you and your son are out scouting. My dad shot an albino quail once, and I have seen white deer. But never a white prairie dog. Great find. Looks like you should live trap it and sell it to Bass Pro.

Thanks for sharing.

Exit 131 in the badlands a whole colony along I-90 and NE Wyoming I have seen a few, more common than you’d think. If they give out any more giveaways at BPS let me know, I’ll Collect one and we can split the 5K. :cool::cool::cool:http://www.naturetechfam.com/2016/03/23/white-prairie-dogs-near-badlands-national-park/
Oh I never said they were rare. I do believe the one bought was an albino and not just white. But honestly I didn’t care. Thanks for sharing the link. You should post it on hunttalk too.

Difference those are not albinos… This one had pink eyes, pink feet and pink nose. So a little different than the link.
Interesting research I just read about them. There are albinos also in isolated pockets and researchers have documented them on the Wind River Indian Reservation. The albinos often have blue eyes and a pink nose. Some are actually leucistic, meaning that their skin and fur lack basic color pigmentation, but not melanin, which results in albinos with white skin and pink eyelids. It is a recessive gene that causes the anomaly and they survive well in areas with lots of snow drifts and white sandy areas but they seem to be disappearing in nature.

”LAST SUMMER in west-central Wyoming, Dick Baldes saw something extraordinary. A resident of the expansive Wind River Indian Reservation, he was accustomed to seeing white-tailed prairie dogs, which range in the area´s shortgrass prairies. But he had never seen prairie dogs like these: about a dozen snow white, pink-eyed individuals scattered amid the hundreds of ordinary, earth-colored animals.” https://www.nwf.org/Magazines/National-Wildlife/2000/Colorless-in-a-World-of-Color

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom