alt to .22 LR?

HIcountryman

Very Active Member
wanting a ruger 10/22, as that as what we had in the family as a kid.... nostalgic. Mainly for rabbits. But if i see a coyote at 100 yds, will that round do much? Don't know much about 17 or 22 hornet... anything else in the ballpark? Don't want to spend over $300. Any thoughts are appreciated. (weird new forum format, if u askin me)

wanting a ruger 10/22, as that as what we had in the family as a kid.... nostalgic. Mainly for rabbits. But if i see a coyote at 100 yds, will that round do much? Don't know much about 17 or 22 hornet... anything else in the ballpark? Don't want to spend over $300. Any thoughts are appreciated. (weird new forum format, if u askin me)
Makes me clostrophobic!〽?

If you hit it right a 22 long rifle can kill a coyote. Buy if you like a 10/22. You can get one in a 22 mag. It has a little more oomph. Many company's make a version of a 10/22.

Yes mine is made by Magnum Research . Looks just like a 10/22. A few other companies are making them as well. It was a little more the 300 dollars. It has a carbon fiber barrel. A used one my be you best value.

the ruger 10/22 mags are $750 ++++ on the used market. I saw them at $2500 right after ruger discontinued them. I have a Lilja 17 hmr barrel on mine.

How much was your Magnum Research BJT??

the ruger 10/22 mags are $750 ++++ on the used market. I saw them at $2500 right after ruger discontinued them. I have a Lilja 17 hmr barrel on mine.

How much was your Magnum Research BJT??
I can't really remember. Two came into our local gun store. I hadn't seen one in years. So I bought both and gave one to my dad. It was 700 to 800 bucks. But with a bdc scope and rings it ended up being 1100 to 1200 bucks. It was during Obama‘s days when you couldn't get 22 ammo. I was going to turn it into a 17 caliber. But enjoyed it so much I left it alone. It's short and light and can handle Coyotes out to 300 hundred yards. Whenever I am in the hills during the off season I carry it with me. It has a Hogue rubberized stock and a light carbon barrel.

i don't need the 10 capacity magazine... just talkin about that style i guess. didn't mean to ruffle feathers on you gun freaks out here! just wanting a rabbit plinker. I like the low price of savage .22 but that extended magazine looks like it would interfere with a shoulder sling-carry.

The 22lr is a fun plinker and close range rabbit sniper but it's NOT a coyote stopper. You MIGHT kill one at 100 yards but you'll never know you did. I shot a 22 mag for years and at 100 yards it's only marginally better. For coyotes, 17 HMR or Hornet is about minimum IMHO.

Just my 2 cents for free.
Zeke

thanks. now that small game is over for the year, i'll have time to save some $ and research what i really should get. I'll look into the 17 hornet and HMR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom