Alternate List

brookhunter19

Hi Guys,

Do you guys think we will find out our Alternate List numbers by the end of this week?

How many of you have gotten tags thru the Alternate List process in the past?

If so, what numbers did you guys draw?

Good Luck!???

Im betting it will be next week. I have a feeling a lot of people signed up this year.
Did you sign up for deer/elk or just deer? It’s going to be interesting to see how many are returned this year also.

What’s a realistic number to draw a deer Combo?
If your under 200 I’d say almost certain you will have a tag. In years past I think about 300-400 deer combos was about normal to be returned but last year it was way up like 750 probably Covid though. Will be interesting to see this year what happens.

Last edited:
I just looked mine up I just applied for elk and I’m number 1020 out of 1518 so might as well start looking for other options.

I’m 176 for my deer combo. Hopefully that’s good enough, but the way this year has gone, who knows.

My other two buddies are 2200ish and 3400ish so looks like I’m going solo if I do get the call.

Anyone get the email yet? Curious when they start going out?

Does your number change as you get closer to next in line?

Bumping this back to the top - anyone get an email yet?

If I understand correctly, our numbers start to count down as tags are issued but I haven't moved a notch yet?!

Bumping this back to the top - anyone get an email yet?

If I understand correctly, our numbers start to count down as tags are issued but I haven't moved a notch yet?!
You most likely will get the email. The last several years, they averaged about 500 returned deer combo tags.

Im hoping so, just curious if the list has started moving yet.

Will be in the mountains of WY for the week archery elk opener and would hate to get the email while gone and don’t really trust my wife or hunting friends to monitor for me. Kinda watching the clock a bit to see if I need to figure out someone I can trust to take care of it while I’m unavailable.

Last edited:
Yeah
Yeah. Come kill a slammer. mtmuley

Thats the plan. Last year i tapped out early on a average buck so i could go on a late season elk hunt. Tapped out right when the rut and big bucks were just starting to migrate in. This year i plan to really hold out

Thats the plan. Last year i tapped out early on a average buck so i could go on a late season elk hunt. Tapped out right when the rut and big bucks were just starting to migrate in. This year i plan to really hold out
I was being sarcastic. Montana mule deer hunting ain't exactly world class. mtmuley

I'm #379.
I'm already taking 2 weeks off to deer hunt the NE corner of Wyoming. I've hunted SE Montana twice before, so I'm crossing my fingers for an email.

I'm #379.
I'm already taking 2 weeks off to deer hunt the NE corner of Wyoming. I've hunted SE Montana twice before, so I'm crossing my fingers for an email.
I think SE MT is going to be a tough road this year between drought and grasshoppers last year and drought and grasshoppers again this year unless you’ve got private River bottom to hunt.

After last fall, I was already planning to head elsewhere. With this years drought I’m certain of it.

thewoods- I assume you got your email today. I jumped up from #176 to #75 today.
I did not get an email but logged on and said i could purchase one and gave me a 10 day window. I did the transaction and printed the license. Will probably get the email?? but figured better grab onto my tag.

Looks like it updated again yesterday. I'm now at #377 for the Big Game Combo. I think that I started at 672.
You think that I have a chance?:unsure:

Looks like it updated again yesterday. I'm now at #377 for the Big Game Combo. I think that I started at 672.
You think that I have a chance?:unsure:
This week the deer combo list appears to have moved a whole 16 spots. I went from 75 to 59. Moving VERY slowly.

Made it to #36. Now I have decisions to make. Just got back from an unsuccessful elk hunt in WY and still have that tag burning a hole in my pocket.

Heading back for elk for sure. If I go back out west a 3rd time for deer I may come home to an empty house.

#37 behind me might just get an extra free bump forward.

Yep, sometimes we have to make a choice that is painful but we know it's the right thing to do in our situation.
I know that I would be in no position to make 3 trips out west with a family to take care of ?.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom