Alton CWMU

ktg

Anyone hunted the Alton CWMU lately? I've searched and there isn't much info for the past 5-6 years. My wife has enough points to draw it and I'm thinking about it instead of holding out for Henry's or Paus with all the outfitters and tagalongs everyone takes.

High dollar hunters, all outfitted, on private land. Its not much different than a Henry's or Paunsy hunt. You'll be given the leftovers of their clients.

I know a guy that hunted a few years back as the draw permit he was allowed to bring a guest. They offered there lodge provided meals he said he was treated like royalty. They offered a guide but he asked if he could do it his self. They pointed out some canyons and draws to hunt.
He killed a nice 200 inch buck the second morning that he went out.

The two answers above is the reason why i said contact the operator, the two answers couldn't be farther from each other. But at least the one answers isn't blind speculation.

I spoke with a guy last year who’s buddy had the tag. He said they treated him as a public hunter as good as any of the private hunters, and he showed me a picture of a giant typical he killed.

I've heard nothing but good how the Heaton's treat the draw hunter's. They know it's part of the game with having the public tags on the ranch .

I know a couple of public hunters that have hunted it and both killed good bucks and were treated wonderfully.

Thanks for the replies. I've emailed Wade. If anyone else has experience, please post.

The Arizona Strip and Kiabab, Henry’s, Paunsaugunt, Antelope Island, CO Unit 44 and about 1/4 of the 3rd and 4th season deer units on any given year, WY Unit 130 and 128, NV Units 081 and 241....These are some areas that also could provide someone with a good hunt. There, that oughta raise the odds in those units also. ??

Last edited:
It's been quite a few years ago when my brother drew a tag. I went along with him. We were there with paying clients. Wade and his guides gave us suggestions on places to try, basically anywhere on the ranch, we just needed to let them know which direction we wanted to try so no conflicts. We learned a lot the first couple days on our own. We were unable to get a shot at a taker but, we did see one. During those two days the paying clients tagged out. The third day we had two guides helping (in a spot we were in the previous day) found a taker and my brother tagged out. For us it was a 1st class operation.

Everything I have heard about being a draw hunter on this unit is good. I’ve heard they will tell you where some good bucks are. I know it’s tough to draw. But it’s a very high quality unit that has been well known for a long time. You are hunting Pauns. deer so it’s gonna have slammers.

It's been quite a few years ago when my brother drew a tag. I went along with him. We were there with paying clients. Wade and his guides gave us suggestions on places to try, basically anywhere on the ranch, we just needed to let them know which direction we wanted to try so no conflicts. We learned a lot the first couple days on our own. We were unable to get a shot at a taker but, we did see one. During those two days the paying clients tagged out. The third day we had two guides helping (in a spot we were in the previous day) found a taker and my brother tagged out. For us it was a 1st class operation.
Just curious....please don’t take this wrong. Since your intentions were to diy...did you feel obligated to tip the guides??

Are they open to having management buck hunters? Does anyone have any experience with that?
I know the Alton does have one Management tag available. Not sure if they would let regular Pauns management tag holders on their property or not.
My son and I hunted the Rifle Management last year but by that time Most of the bucks and already moved further south.
There is also an archery and a muzzleloader Management hunt.

My brother did tip the guide who helped the most. I do not know how much he tipped. Based on what was provided, lodging, food, initial suggestions on where to go, taking him out and guiding for a day, then the guide (taxidermist) skinned and capped the buck and mounted it for him. My brother wanted to tip him.

I have no personal experience, but everything I’ve heard from those that do is state hunters are treated well and not viewed as a nuisance on the Alton.

I think a lot of CWMUs are this way, but there are some bad apples out there that make it seem otherwise.

Anyone hunted the Alton CWMU lately? I've searched and there isn't much info for the past 5-6 years. My wife has enough points to draw it and I'm thinking about it instead of holding out for Henry's or Paus with all the outfitters and tagalongs everyone takes.
How many points does she have? Or I guess I should say how many does it take to draw? Probably only give a couple tags I'm guessing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom