Am i a flaming hypocrite?

hossblur

Long Time Member
So, slam posted that MDF spent $3.5 million in Utah last year.

It's no secret how I feel about the welfare tags at the expo.

Nor is it a secret that MDF is a 50/50 partner.

But when i look at $fw spending $880k and MDF dropping $3.5 million, I'm pretty impressed.

I dropped my BHA membership and have been looking for another group.

I told slam he can expect a loud critic of the expo. And that I won't spend a dime there, nor show up.

So. I'm really thinking that I should join MDF.

Slam is a slick salesman.

Is it possible that i can support MDF without passively supporting the welfare system?

I'm pretty impressed with what MDF did last year. But some of that was expo money, which I sustain.

Thoughts?

There are pros and cons to any and all conservation groups. I chose the MDF years ago because I liked that my Utah dollars stay in Utah and I can be the one spending it by physically doing the conservation work myself on any of the projects we do.

I attended a couple meetings with the local chapter in my area and was hooked.
They (we) are a great bunch of men and women who all share the same passion for wildlife. Not all of our people are hunters either, some just do it for their love of deer, wildlife and the shear enjoyment of giving something back to our resources.

Our group donates our own time and resources to make it all come together.
We work hard at the Expo (I spent all 4 days includingthe kickoffparty Wednesday night) working the booth, and helping run the auction tickets during the daytime and evening banquets.

Then after the Expo, we concentrate on our local chapter banquets by gathering donations, selling tables and tickets. Then when spring comes around, we work with the DWR on putting all that money into the ground with numerous projects that are scheduled. Everything is voluntary, nothing is mandatory.

Joining the MDF can be as simple as sending in your $35 membership, or you can get involved in your chapters committee and play a bigger role.
Being on a committee has really opened my eyes to "the real story" of what is happening with the DWR, DNR, the Mule Deer Working Group and the RAC's, because we get heavily involved. Along with that comes huge respect from the Division and personal relationships grow and are nurtured because of our common goals, abilities and willingness to work with them hand in hand, side by side.

No one sold me personally on the MDF, it sold it's self.

Having said that, our Utah country chapter is seeking aggressive, passionate people to join our team and help grow our Chapter into at least #2 next to Salt Lake City.

Hoss, I hope you join up and get involved, it'll be a game changer in how you view conservation groups, some for better, some for worse ?

You'll Never Ever be Happy Hossy!

Unless they Spent a Million More than they Brought in!

But that Ain't Happening!

Have You Joined HUNTER NATION yet Hossy?

There are pros and cons to any and all conservation groups. I chose the MDF years ago because I liked that my Utah dollars stay in Utah and I can be the one spending it by physically doing the conservation work myself on any of the projects we do.

I attended a couple meetings with the local chapter in my area and was hooked.
They (we) are a great bunch of men and women who all share the same passion for wildlife. Not all of our people are hunters either, some just do it for their love of deer, wildlife and the shear enjoyment of giving something back to our resources.

Our group donates our own time and resources to make it all come together.
We work hard at the Expo (I spent all 4 days includingthe kickoffparty Wednesday night) working the booth, and helping run the auction tickets during the daytime and evening banquets.

Then after the Expo, we concentrate on our local chapter banquets by gathering donations, selling tables and tickets. Then when spring comes around, we work with the DWR on putting all that money into the ground with numerous projects that are scheduled. Everything is voluntary, nothing is mandatory.

Joining the MDF can be as simple as sending in your $35 membership, or you can get involved in your chapters committee and play a bigger role.
Being on a committee has really opened my eyes to "the real story" of what is happening with the DWR, DNR, the Mule Deer Working Group and the RAC's, because we get heavily involved. Along with that comes huge respect from the Division and personal relationships grow and are nurtured because of our common goals, abilities and willingness to work with them hand in hand, side by side.

No one sold me personally on the MDF, it sold it's self.

Having said that, our Utah country chapter is seeking aggressive, passionate people to join our team and help grow our Chapter into at least #2 next to Salt Lake City.

Hoss, I hope you join up and get involved, it'll be a game changer in how you view conservation groups, some for better, some for worse ?

Told you he was slick

These foundations are built off suckers like you hossy. BHA didn’t lose you, they just lost their turn with ya.

I hope the MDF website doesn’t crash while you’re filling out your membership.

[/QUOTE]
These foundations are built off suckers like you hossy. BHA didn’t lose you, they just lost their turn with ya.

Are you mad because you didn't get your free knife and window decal with your last NRA membership??

I’ve been in contact with slam on multiple occasions. I also was impressed with the numbers from last year.
I’m still waiting and hoping to be able to have the opportunity to do some volunteer work on some of these projects.

It sounds like you have a great MDF chapter Slam, it is looking like we need a lot of work on our mule Deer herds across the west, and its great to see how passionate you are with MDF. Hoss I wish you the best of luck

Are you mad because you didn't get your free knife and window decal with your last NRA membership??
[/QUOTE]
Oh heck no! I would never give the NRA money!

Looks like the MDF has came a long ways. Heck 11 years ago I made one post on MM’s.com that blew up and led to them changing their policy regarding canned hunt raffles. And I believe the MFF led to them changing how much money stayed with the local chapters.

I’d donate to MDF before a lot of others but I already donated to Pantigonia.

I’ve been in contact with slam on multiple occasions. I also was impressed with the numbers from last year.
I’m still waiting and hoping to be able to have the opportunity to do some volunteer work on some of these projects.
The best way to keep up on project information is to follow their pages on Instagram and Facebook.
I've tried posting projects in the Utah forum in the past but get crickets.
Our schedule isn't out for 2020 yet, but when I get it, I will certainly post it in the Utah forum.
Anyone with any questions at all, feel free to message me and I will help you .
These projects fill up unbelievably fast because of dedicated hunter hours, even by non members who just want to be involved.
Thanks BB!!?

Looks like the MDF has came a long ways. Heck 11 years ago I made one post on MM’s.com that blew up and led to them changing their policy regarding canned hunt raffles. And I believe the MFF led to them changing how much money stayed with the local chapters.

[/QUOTE]
The MDF has learned the hard way on hunt donations. We have been burned by a few bad Outfitters out there, especially Africa hunts.

But yes.....the MDF has come a VERY LONG WAY in 11 years.
Transparency is the #1 concern amongst prospective members, and we pride ourselves on that.
Even annual 990's are posted on the website at muledeer.org

The MDF has learned the hard way on hunt donations. We have been burned by a few bad Outfitters out there, especially Africa hunts.

But yes.....the MDF has come a VERY LONG WAY in 11 years.
Transparency is the #1 concern amongst prospective members, and we pride ourselves on that.
Even annual 990's are posted on the website at muledeer.org
[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I’ll have to look into it.

Hey Slamdunk
Several years ago I helped out the AZ Deer group with a bunch of metal used sheets they used to create a water catch on a sloping hill side that funneled the water to a screened gutter at the bottom then in to a Water holding tank that feed a water guzzler.
If you guys ever need to that type water catch system in Utah I'm all in.

Mitt Hossblur Romney....I have a hard time keeping up with where you stand.
Doing SOMETHING is FAR better than doing NOTHING.

Having a change of heart about a conservation group is called "personal growth" in my eyes.

It's the one's who complain about losing hunting opportunities and declining deer numbers that do nothing are the one's that should be questioned.

Hey Slamdunk
Several years ago I helped out the AZ Deer group with a bunch of metal used sheets they used to create a water catch on a sloping hill side that funneled the water to a screened gutter at the bottom then in to a Water holding tank that feed a water guzzler.
If you guys ever need to that type water catch system in Utah I'm all in.
Thanks Gator, we love interest in our projects like you offered!
Here are some examples of various types of guzzler systems we construct.
They consist of the metal sheets sloped to catch rain water that runs into a large storage tank, then trickles into actually drinking tank which can be a big old tractor tire, trough or box of some sort.
Screenshot_20200301-101214_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200301-101044_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200301-101006_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200301-100934_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200301-100912_Gallery.jpg

I haven't had a change of heart.

But, slam pointed out a few things MDF has changed/improved.

I'm not that entrenched. It would be pretty damn unfair to demand a group step up and fix issues, tgen when they do fix them, not recognize it.

The only issue I still have is that gov cheese.

However. My issues are 2.

1. That we pimp out 500+ tags.

2. That if we pimp them out the revenue should be maximized.

Me posting this thread was because I still am not wild about 500+ tags.

But, when you look at the 2 group's at the expo, $fw spend $890k. MDF spent $3.5 million. Kinda seems like MDF has addressed my #2.

I've been looking for a new group since the one i was supporting to keep public land in public hands decided to curry favor with the climate crowd.

MDF, thanks to Slam being a good promoter is most likely going to get my support.

I haven't had a change of heart.

But, slam pointed out a few things MDF has changed/improved.

I'm not that entrenched. It would be pretty damn unfair to demand a group step up and fix issues, tgen when they do fix them, not recognize it.

The only issue I still have is that gov cheese.

However. My issues are 2.

1. That we pimp out 500+ tags.

2. That if we pimp them out the revenue should be maximized.

Me posting this thread was because I still am not wild about 500+ tags.

But, when you look at the 2 group's at the expo, $fw spend $890k. MDF spent $3.5 million. Kinda seems like MDF has addressed my #2.

I've been looking for a new group since the one i was supporting to keep public land in public hands decided to curry favor with the climate crowd.

MDF, thanks to Slam being a good promoter is most likely going to get my support.

I cannot vouch for anything the SFW does and I most definitely was not trying to imply they don't do "as much" as MDF.
MDF and SFW have a great working relationship, but keep something in mind....the MDF focus is on mule deer, whereas the SFW stands for "Sportsman for Fish & Wildlife" meaning a good portion of their funds go to ALL wildlife including aquatics.

I cannot vouch for anything the SFW does and I most definitely was not trying to imply they don't do "as much" as MDF.
MDF and SFW have a great working relationship, but keep something in mind....the MDF focus is on mule deer, whereas the SFW stands for "Sportsman for Fish & Wildlife" meaning a good portion of their funds go to ALL wildlife including aquatics.
And, SFW is a political group. That’s what Don does to influence things at a political level. Love it or hate it, money has to be spent for access to political people. Just sayin.....

And, SFW is a political group. That’s what Don does to influence things at a political level. Love it or hate it, money has to be spent for access to political people. Just sayin.....
Yes absolutely Founder.....I missed that part, thank you for the mention.

If anyone was at the Expo banquet Friday night, Troy Justensen (President of SFW) and John Bair (vice president SFW) gave a surprise award to Miles Moretti (president of MDF) for the outstanding work he has done with the MDF and gave gratitude to the MDF for pioneering conservation since 1988.
Miles is retiring this year and will be passing on the torch.

Hate.

My list with $fw is long. But the very fact that despite nearly a decade of "THE DON DOESNT SPEAK FOR US", that the don is still speaking for them, is either 1 or 1a on that list.

Which to be fair, and Slam just confirmed it, I am judging MDF by their friends. Which is still my hesitation.

One would hope MDF cleaning up their act and responding to the issues they had would rub off in $fw. I've seen no proof of that anywhere.

As far as I am
Hate.

My list with $fw is long. But the very fact that despite nearly a decade of "THE DON DOESNT SPEAK FOR US", that the don is still speaking for them, is either 1 or 1a on that list.

Which to be fair, and Slam just confirmed it, I am judging MDF by their friends. Which is still my hesitation.

One would hope MDF cleaning up their act and responding to the issues they had would rub off in $fw. I've seen no proof of that anywhere.

As far as I am aware, Don is OUT of SFW and has moved on to "Hunter Nation" (which I feel is a good move in favor of SFW and their highly questionable history).

Having said that, HN will not be on my wish list for groups to join.

Slam
I have two of those Big tires that I used to use for mule and horse feeders and I can send ya cell pictures, also of the some metals sheets we have and use.

Would mind doing donating some to the bunch down in SJ as long as it helps the General season deer herds too around Blanding and Monticello area.

Slam.

I've heard this yearly. Then I hear he is a "consultant". That he gets paid a fee for bringing in the deep pockets.

MDF will be getting my $35. Im sure they were waiting breathlessly.

But it will be next month. My boys both won guns at RMEF banquet last year, so they think that happens every year. If course it cost dad $450 for those "free guns" so my group money for this month is tied up.

And. Slam will now be blamed for recruiting one of MM biggest mouths.

I try to be fair. DU lost me years ago. The NRA had too many crisis, so they lost me too.

BHA leadership decided to bail off their mission statement.

RMEF is pretty damn consistent. So I've hung with them.

MDF has really started acting like we all wish $fw would. Both on the ground, and with the accountants.

BESS I'm sorry I missed you at expo 2021, and at least 6 years after that.

Slam
I have two of those Big tires that I used to use for mule and horse feeders and I can send ya cell pictures, also of the some metals sheets we have and use.

Would mind doing donating some to the bunch down in SJ as long as it helps the General season deer herds too around Blanding and Monticello area.

I can put you in contact with the chairman for that chapter if you'd like, I believe that would be the Moab chapter.
They had a banquet last night, so they will be reared and ready to go on projects when the weather breaks.

Slam.

I've heard this yearly. Then I hear he is a "consultant". That he gets paid a fee for bringing in the deep pockets.

MDF will be getting my $35. Im sure they were waiting breathlessly.

But it will be next month. My boys both won guns at RMEF banquet last year, so they think that happens every year. If course it cost dad $450 for those "free guns" so my group money for this month is tied up.

And. Slam will now be blamed for recruiting one of MM biggest mouths.

I try to be fair. DU lost me years ago. The NRA had too many crisis, so they lost me too.

BHA leadership decided to bail off their mission statement.

RMEF is pretty damn consistent. So I've hung with them.

MDF has really started acting like we all wish $fw would. Both on the ground, and with the accountants.

BESS I'm sorry I missed you at expo 2021, and at least 6 years after that.

I support RMEF with an annual membership and I am a panel judge for their elk bugling contests, but I lost steam for them years ago over a move they did in the Bookcliffs.
But you are correct, they have been a solid conservation group all in all.

Well!

If it Cost Him Serious Coin!

A Couple of Guys must know something?

How Much Coin?

Hey bess, I know a guy who dropped some heavy coin on a Bookcliffs elk tag last night at a banquet.....he's either extremely naive or he know's something!

WAAAAAY too much!
Books are in elk trouble, there's not enough recruitment to sustain it.
Bunch of old cows out there 20 years old with only 50% pregnancy.
Biologists don't know what's happening to the younger stock.
Collaring study on deer shows high mortality on fawns from bears and cat's, might be getting the elk as well?

Biologists Don't Know what's Happening?

JUDAS!

F'N!

PRIEST!

The Most Over Hunted Place I Know of anywhere!

Cow Slaughters!

Spike Slaughters!

Too Many Permits of All Kinds!

For Years!

And They Boast that BS Excuse?

That's kinda what I Figured!

There's Probably one or two Big Bulls Left Out there!

Or You Can Always Hope a Big Bull Ventures in from the REZ side!

Hey Hoss.....I led you astray with my numbers.
The project board I posted was 2018.....2019 was over 3.9!
Screenshot_20200302-052359_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200302-052420_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200302-052439_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200302-051638_Facebook.jpg

Hossy Still Won't be Happy!

They Probably Brought in 3,986,582.58 & He's gonna wanna know where the rest of the Money went!:D

Hossy Still Won't be Happy!

They Probably Brought in 3,986,582.58 & He's gonna wanna know where the rest of the Money went!:D

Only one thing truly bring me happiness.

That post you make end of May about not drawing that San Juan tag. Makes me call warm and tingly inside?

Only one thing truly bring me happiness.

That post you make end of May about not drawing that San Juan tag. Makes me call warm and tingly inside?
Speaking of San Juan elk tag.....it went for $77k Saturday night in the name of Wade Lemon

By comparison to how big MDF is in Utah compared to AZ last year......But obviously our demographic is much larger.
Screenshot_20200302-094827_Facebook.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom