Am I reading this right???

MIG

The new regulation booklet came out, as a lot of you know this already. From my understanding, non residents will have to buy a small game hunting license ($81.75) in order to apply for the big game draw (ie just to get a preference point). On top of this, the app fee increased to $9 and the deer and elk preference point fee stayed the same ($40). So basically, if one wants to just get a preference point this year, it will cost $130.75 (81.75+40+9). This seems excessive since Colorado is 100% preference point based draw and does not give a chance at a random tag.

What is everyone?s thoughts on this???

MIG

all correct except there is no pp fee for deer elk pronghorn or bear. Only sheep moose and goat and they r 100$ apiece.

So they did away with the preference point fee?

And at least Arizona has a bonus point draw and there is a chance to draw a random tag.

As was said, only sheep, goat and moose have a pp fee. $50 for res, $100 for non res.

#livelikezac

That raises a question so if you buy your $81.75 license and apply for deer and elk PP you only pay the app fee for each? The change is having to buy the license, at least in regards to deer and elk? Thanks for the info

They suckered in a bunch of folks to buy a point for 2018 for cheap and with only a slight fee. Applications went way up, everyone was happy, happy, happy.

Then, bait and switch. I'm sure it wasn?t planned at all. Just the next step.

I'm glad they changed it. Too many folks in the game that didn't have any skin in the game.

Rich

Good point Rich you hit the nail on the head exactly what I was thinking.
So now folks like me that were applying for only one species such as deer might as well go ahead and put in for elk also since we have to pay that much anyway.
This is just adding a bit more to point
Creep.

Are we having fun yet here in ole Colorado?! Ain't it great?!

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

> Good point Rich you hit
>the nail on the head
>exactly what I was thinking.
>
> So now folks like me
>that were applying for only
>one species such as deer
>might as well go ahead
>and put in for elk
>also since we have to
>pay that much anyway.
>This is just adding a bit
>more to point
>Creep.

Until a year or two from now when they put a pp fee on the rest of the species same as they did with the big 3. Book it!

#livelikezac

To summarize, $81 for a small game license, plus $9 for a deer point, and $9 for an elk point. Is this correct?

Similar to AZ. The expense is in the license, not the point.

Thanks.

I've never kept track of what it actually cost for deer and elk points in Colorado previously but always assumed it was close to what the new fees are.

Last year wasn?t there a loop hole where if you had a 2017 fishing license or small game license you didn't have to pay for your preference points or something ? Is that still a thing this year or did they do away with that loop hole.

https://www.sagemuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-19 AT 07:02PM (MST)[p]

No more loophole. ;-(

I have NEVER paid for a PP because I always bought an elk license. For those that have just been buying a point for elk and deer only, it is a wash and you will just be out the same money. But for those of us that hunt Colorado every year, an Extra $80 per year

And the Kicker...??.. they will be raising the $9 app fee in the future, so more to come...??..

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-19 AT 09:36PM (MST)[p]They should have just had a per species fee instead of an expensive license, everyone who was going after deer points might as well get an elk or pronghorn point as well (leading to more point creep). I guess we will probably see those in the future!

>To summarize, $81 for a small
>game license, plus $9 for
>a deer point, and $9
>for an elk point.
>Is this correct?
>
>Similar to AZ. The expense
>is in the license, not
>the point.
>
>Thanks.

And a $10 habitat stamp.

#livelikezac

What can you draw with just a few elk points? Seems guys just getting in would not want to wait years for a good tag.

They are making people purchase the license so it counts towards the Pittman-Robertson count to receive more federal money is my guess.

>The new regulation booklet came out,
>as a lot of you
>know this already. From my
>understanding, non residents will have
>to buy a small game
>hunting license ($81.75) in order
>to apply for the big
>game draw (ie just to
>get a preference point). On
>top of this, the app
>fee increased to $9 and
>the deer and elk preference
>point fee stayed the same
>($40). So basically, if one
>wants to just get a
>preference point this year, it
>will cost $130.75 (81.75+40+9). This
>seems excessive since Colorado is
>100% preference point based draw
>and does not give a
>chance at a random tag.
>
>
>What is everyone?s thoughts on this???
>
>
>MIG

I know right. The hunting is marginal and now excessive fees and licensing requirements. I'm thinking about not hunting here anymore! All Non-residents should definately boycott.

You shouldn't have to purchase the $80 license if you just get an OTC tag.

And I assume the same would be true for buying a leftover tag, but I am not 100% sure on that

txhunter58

I think your right, the "qualifying" license only applies if you want to enter the draw, not applicable to OTC or left over.

Each state knows that they can get what ever they ask for tags and fees. It's sad how states are gouging nonres?.and it's not getting any cheaper for residents either!

There is no guarantee that Colo deer, elk, and antelope pref pt prices won't increase in future years. In fact, you can pretty much count on them raising pref pt prices.

Colo moose, sheep, and mtn goat pref pts prices rose to $50 for res and $100 for nonres this year....that's per species. Ouch!

Tx hunter, I assume when you say "bought an elk license" that you meant that you buy an OTC tag? If so , you do not need to purchase the $80 non resident small game for an OTC tag. Only for draw tags

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-19 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]>Tx hunter, I assume when
>you say "bought an elk
>license" that you meant
>that you buy an OTC
>tag? If
>so , you do not
>need to purchase the $80
>non resident small game for
>an OTC tag. Only for
>draw tags

No, I always apply for deer and elk every year, but never had to pay the PP fee because of the loophole: if you had a tag the year before you didn't pay PP fees. And I have always had a tag

Now: no more loophole.

txhunter58

>Can anyone verify if the Small
>Game License will not be
>required for an OTC or
>left over.

Hell the department prolly doesn't even know this yet! They change it so much who really knows anymore! What a joke. One yr basically no fees the next it's out the roof

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-19 AT 07:21AM (MST)[p]A qualifying license(small game or spring turkey) is NOT required for buying a OTC license.

How many years between applications before colorado purges points? Elk points just became even more worthless, my point total is in no mans land anyway.

I fell for the old bait and switch last year. It was so cheap I put my wife in. I talked friends into applying. Then we all got hit later for the extra fee.

After that I bought my wife and I the small game license thinking it would save me money this year, I think I got hosed again.

Of course I didn't realize Colorado didn't point average either so my wifes few points can't be added to my 12 to draw a lower point unit. My bad.

Colorado made it legal to crap on the sidewalk, no reason to believe they won't keep crapping on us hunters.

The big surge in applications last year shouldn't be as bad this year. My wife and friends are out. I'll come burn my points one day on a average hunt and be done.

Watch where you step!

Having to to put the money up first , will knock out half the newbies,but how are the points to play out in the years to come.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-19 AT 08:36AM (MST)[p]Will be interesting to see how many dropout this year. I am still in at any level but know several that have already said no

Biggest change for me is that I will start putting in for antelope and bear because I will be retiring in about 3 years and now that it is only $9 more to apply why not. Can have a few points for then when I can hunt more than 1 animal/season

txhunter58

>Biggest change for me is that
>I will start putting in
>for antelope and bear because
>I will be retiring in
>about 3 years and now
>that it is only $9
>more to apply why not.
>Can have a few points
>for then when I can
>hunt more than 1 animal/season
>
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

Right, and this is what lead us to pp fees for the big 3, "hell its only $3 why not?". The influx of new applicants will give them the cover to say they need to charge for pp to limit the applicants and make it fair to high point holders, and the sheep will applaud and welcome this new tax! Book it!

#livelikezac

Looks like like you can opt out of buying the sheep/goat/moose point and save the $100 non-resident charge per application. As long as you have 3 preference points, you are in the draw. The way weighted points work, each one is worth less than the last. If they leave the draw as it, it's debatable if it's worth the $100 for a high point applicant to buy the point.

Wouldn?t work with me because I don't have much interest in species other than elk. Mule deer a little bit and very little in antelope and bear. Sonic they change the rules I will do what people are doing this year and drop out.

txhunter58

Thoughts are they will keep raising fees because Colorado no long wants us there. Next they will make it illegal to hunt mountain lions in the state. They will reintroduce wolves so we don't have deer and elk to hunt any longer. Californians have move into the state and taken it over. I had a game warden out of Montrose ( George Bach ) tell me this twenty years age. He might of been on to something.

I just applied for a deer preference point. The total was $100.75. That is the min you will pay for a point. Oh but I own a small game annual hunting license.

I just applied for a deer license and an elk preference point and mine was $99.75
Why the difference?

WV: Better check your app. By my calculations, you should have been charged $109.75

txhunter58

Thanks tx.

I'm over 64 so I don't have to purchase the $10.00 habitat stamp. It would have been added automatically if required.

Only hunters 18-64 required to have a habitat stamp.(page 3 of the proclamation)

Had me worried there for a minute

Utah and Nevada give you a chance to draw as Utah has a bonus and preference point system and Nevada is pure bonus. Colorado is 100% preference, which means your deer tag in 5 years will cost you 500 in points and 400 for the tag + 100 for that years app. So 1k total without ever getting a chance to draw a tag until that 5th year

I have spent several thousand dollars so far in Utah, and have yet to draw a tag in 20 years of trying.

So you're saying there's a chance????????

But you are wrong. Colorado is not entirely preference points

txhunter58

Actually, not really

That leaves out the part that about 80% of elk tags are OTC. And I have hunted elk every year for as long as I can remember with a limited elk tag as a NR!

And if a deer tag takes more than 10 points, they put 20% in a drawing open to all qualified apps.

Thank God they do use preference points for most. With Utah, I may draw this year or I may NEVER draw. After 20 years of putting in, I am beginning to wonder....

txhunter58

>
>Thank God they do use preference
>points for most. With
>Utah, I may draw this
>year or I may NEVER
>draw. After 20 years
>of putting in, I am
>beginning to wonder....
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

Just like the big 3 here. And now I get to pay $57/species to gain a preference point for a license I may never draw.

#livelikezac

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom