Am I wrong... Part 2

mossback50cal

Very Active Member
Well seeing Stinkies post, thought I might put out my own, and get some opinions.

This weekend, my fiancee, our kids and I went to her parent's house, which is 220 miles away, to help them move. They were moving another 250 miles away, so total to get to their house, and then the new house, it was about 500 miles. Well, my kids have not been apart from me, aside from work, for a very long time. My fiancee's step dad decides its best to have my fiancee and her mom take the kids to the new house, and stay the night there while we load the Uhaul. What should have taken 3 hours tops, takes us a day and a half, and I and my future bro in law get to here bitching about EVERYBODY. How my mom in law didn't pack right, to co-workers, to the brother being lazy... I mean everybody and everything. Well, we finally get the truck packed, cars loaded and drive the 250 miles to the new house. We get there, the women take the kids to get us dinner, as its already late in the evening. Well, the step dad yells to take the kids, because they are whining to stay, as they hadn't seen me in a day and a half. We have a 6 year old daughter, a 3 year old daughter, and an 18 month old son. I let that one slide, as they would have been in the way, We start unloading the truck, they get back with the food, and the kids are trying to help, like kids do. He again gets mad, tells my fiancee to keep them out of the way. I let this one slide, and about ten minutes later, we are moving the last big item in the house, and my son and youngest daughter are whining, trying to get to me. He yells at my fiancee, get those kids in a room and shut the door, and tells her I don't care how much you don't like it and ##### about it. This time is the last straw, I tell him they are kids, and kids whine sometimes, especially after a long two days, and tell him not to talk to my fiancee like that. The only reason I didn't go further, and do anything, is because my kids are standing right there. he gets all huffy puffy, and tells me it's time for you guys to leave, at 10:30 at night, almost 500 miles from home. So I tell him, okay, we are leaving, don't ask us to come back. We pack up our things, load them in the car, all the time, my fiancee's mom is crying for us not to leave, and the kids are crying, as they never get to see their grandma. She is like a slave to him, and gets cussed out and yelled at when she wants to come see the kids. Mind you, she doesn't work, but takes care of their house, and anything he needs. The question I have, is do you guys think I was in the wrong at all, for sticking up for my fiancee and kids?

Being 500 miles away might be better than 250!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

>Being 500 miles away might be
>better than 250!:D
>

x500....lol..

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yea, I think you did the right thing...and, you have a lot more patience than I do.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

>do you guys think I
>was in the wrong at all,

Nope.

Your kids are your kids and they come first. You were doing him a big favor in the first place. He knows he's being a d!ck but gets away with it. Good for you.

I would have broken some real expensive furniture on my way out.....said "sorry"..."whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Nope not wrong at all to stand up to him. Especially if your fiancee supported you. He sounds pretty abusive. Better to not have your kids around that. I would probably back off the "don't ask us to come back" statement - but not for a while. 500 miles sounds like a good distance.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

NV is right. Your children come first, period. Why other people expect that to be different is beyond me. I get into little battles with my own family about this.

You wasn't in the wrong at all. +1 on breaking furniture on the way out!

Just a little wrong. You shoulda put him in his place and then said we are staying here cuz my kids want to see their grandma. In the morning you guys are cooking us breakfast before we leave. Then I woulda told him to be civil and shut the heck up and that if he didn't like that he was welcome to do his best to kick me out. seeings as you are family you are welcome to invite yourself. and to spite him like that would be a way of letting him know he isn't always going to get his way. As everyone else said, your kids are first and they deserve time with their grandma.

tough one......you did right but he is old and it was his stuff and house. maybe the kids should have been with the stepmom and out of your guys hair. i know from experience things will never be good between you and the father in law now. but i probably wouldn't have even help them move. i am an azz like that thats what his boys are for. i only help blood relatives move ! good luck. drama sucks

I could see it both ways here. I use to deliver furniture for a living and hated it when people would let their kids get in our way so I could see how that would be annoying. On the other hand though nothing gets the blood going like someone yelling at your family.
If he is always a douche then you did the right thing. If he is normally cool, he may have just been overly stressed. When you stand up for your family though you're always in the right.

Thank you guys. Just wanted to clear one thing up, the kids were not in the way, they were just whining, and running after us. They did not get in our way. The only reason I did not stay, is because my blood was boiling, and if I would have stayed, it would have boiled over, not been a pretty sight. So, for my kids not to see it, we left. I didn't break any furniture, cause he is one of the kind of people who would have sued me for it. He's like that. I already talked to the kids, and let them know they won't be seeing their grandma as much, but only because she lives further away now.

You did the right thing. I would have left sooner. U
Have some patience for sure. In the end they are 500
Miles away!!! Sounds like a win for you...

Things will probably be uncomfortable for a while. But its good you stood up to him, he will respect you for it later. If you wouldn't have stood up to him he would continue to walk all over you.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>Things will probably be uncomfortable for
>a while. But its good
>you stood up to him,
>he will respect you for
>it later. If you wouldn't
>have stood up to him
>he would continue to walk
>all over you.
>
>
+100

I think more people need to stand up for kids and "their" family!!!

Trust me Rug, if my kids hadn't been there, that patience would have went directly out the window! It's amazing how much you, well most people, or some, grow up when you have children. If it had been seven years ago, before my daughter, sh*t would've hit the fan, and I wouldn't have just said something about it, more than likely wouldn't have said anything, just acted. I've grown a lot of patience over these past few years, and don't want to put my kids thru that type of stuff.

I hear ya man. I have seen the end results a hundred times of people doing things the wrong way. It's easy to play the "Monday morning Quarterback". Without knowing the entire big picture you are the one who truely knows if the right thing was done, you have to live with your decision.

Again I think you did the right thing.

Easier said than done, but its always good to get a glimpse from their side. Moving day isnt fun for anyone, especially for the guy that is moving. There is just a lot to worry about and plan, and I can see how it could easily stress you out. I just moved 100 miles or so two years ago and remember the process. Ive got three little ones that were all "helping" along with some friends who were nice enough to come with us. The little folks do get in the way, and its hard to recognize that they just want to help and are excited about the prospect of being in a new house, even if its not theirs. I think the old man was stressed a bit and it got the best of him. We have all been there with our kids at one point, and they usually have no one to stand up for them when its just dad and the kids.

I dont think you did wrong by sticking up for the kids. Your kids will respect you for it as will your fiance. But you may have started a war when a battle wasnt even needed. While some things are difficult to deal with, not everything is worth fighting about. Some battles are best served when they never see the field. I think the advice you got about making your own call is best though. Only you know what was the right thing to do.

One last thing. . . dont be afraid to make the first move towards resolution. I think that one of the measures of a man.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom