Ammo hard to find?

Firedad

Thought .30-06 would always be plentiful but I seem to be having a hell of a time finding much. Looking for Accubond or Partition factory bullets for my late elk hunt. There are a few places to order but not many. Since I live in an area with many local gun shops and big box stores I am surprised how little I’ve been able to find. What I do find tend to have less than desirable reviews. I don’t want to use what I have or what is in stock if they are known to produce less than desirable results.

Ammoseek.com puts out a list of vendors and their best prices for each caliber. It is just an ammo search engine.

Prices for 30-06 are not very good at all right now. There is lots of 30-06 out there, but it is expensive (for me atleast)

It is very difficult to find specific brands, bullet types, and grains. I have a favorite round, but I just look for what I consider a quality brand, usable bullet type, and usable weight.

Ammoseek.com puts out a list of vendors and their best prices for each caliber. It is just an ammo search engine.

Prices for 30-06 are not very good at all right now. There is lots of 30-06 out there, but it is expensive (for me atleast)

It is very difficult to find specific brands, bullet types, and grains. I have a favorite round, but I just look for what I consider a quality brand, usable bullet type, and usable weight.
Plenty of 06 ammo available online, it’s gonna cost you a second mortgage to afford.

Found a few but can’t find much about them. Norma Bondstrike Longrange? I don’t shoot long range, how do they hold up 200 yards and under?
Another is federal terminal velocity, sounds like long range again.

Found a few but can’t find much about them. Norma Bondstrike Longrange? I don’t shoot long range, how do they hold up 200 yards and under?
Another is federal terminal velocity, sounds like long range again.
I could be wrong but Norma is fairly new-ish (maybe not)

My favorite is the Remington core-lokt 180 grain. I used this on moose (bull and cow). They never made it very far after a shot.

That 175 Federal Terminal Ascent is probably the best all around ammo for the 30-06 out there right now. It’s an improvement on the trophy bonded tipped ammo. High BC For long shots and holds together with high weight retention at close range. Look around you can find it for $45-50 a box not cheap but about the best there is for factory ammo.

They have the terminal ascents too, should I get those instead of the Norma bondstrikes? This is for a bull elk hunt so I’d like to take every advantage I can into the field. Core-lokt was what I used 20+ years ago on blacktail but I don’t think I want to use them for this hunt. I have a couple boxes of Hornady superformance sst that I bought not knowing anything about them when ammo was hard to find. Maybe use those for the mule deer tag I’ve got.

I have been looking for Hornady 300 win mag ammo for almost 3 years now. In that 3 years, I have found 2 boxes. Even called hornady to ask WTF? Was told " that caliber is not a priority to us"

That 175 Federal Terminal Ascent is probably the best all around ammo for the 30-06 out there right now. It’s an improvement on the trophy bonded tipped ammo. High BC For long shots and holds together with high weight retention at close range. Look around you can find it for $45-50 a box not cheap but about the best there is for factory ammo.
I bought some of that. Shot a cow elk last fall with it. Pumped 3 shots at 120 yards through the lungs and she just stood there (at one point bent over to feed...obviously in shock). Not a good or bad testimony as the shots all hit lung. Seemed to work though. Interested what it does when it hits shoulder.

Doesn’t sound exactly ideal though
Well, any ammo would have had same effect as they all passed through lungs cleanly in a 6 inch circle. She still went down and never took more than 2 steps. Just took a long time! I actually had to run back to my pack to get more ammo as I wasn't even sure if I hit the thing lol.

I’ve never been disappointed in the performance of a 30-06 brand or round that I’ve purchased for big game (moose, bear, muskox), but then again I never ask it to do too much. Ideally, everyone wants a one and done, but follow up shots are inevitable.

I’m not the most skilled hunter or shooter, so the only shots I’m willing to take are ones that I am almost 100% sure will work.

I usually just buy what I can get (legal bullet type and suitable grain/speed) and then adjust my rifle and scope as necessary so everything is dialed in. Ideally, I would stick with one brand and type but because of availability I adjust as needed.

I don’t mind the idea of a follow up shot, I just don’t want to worry about the bullet not expanding or splashing on impact. Some rounds aren’t ideal for elk

I have been looking for Hornady 300 win mag ammo for almost 3 years now. In that 3 years, I have found 2 boxes. Even called hornady to ask WTF? Was told " that caliber is not a priority to us"
what kind of Hornady ammo are you looking for?

Let me know what you are looking for specifically. My Sendero 300wm loves Hornady rounds. I have quite a bit, but it’s almost always in stock at my local Ace here in Fredericksburg, Tx. Happy to look and ship you some. Zero markup, just helping out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom