Ammo$$$$$$$

JPblind

I don't get crazy about target shooting but good enough with a scoped gun and iron sights not to mention pro at wing shooting ( I like to think so). A few years ago I sold off a lot of guns and bought a lot of ammo ( also some benelli shotguns I've had a wish list) before all the insane politics part 2. Now I have maybe 5yrs of waterfowl, upland with shotgun and 20yrs big game hunting ammo. Question is why don't a lot of (hunters) on this forum have the foresight to hoard and control their ammo after sight in? Really don't see a reason to go to the (range) if the gun is sighted in. Ammo now is scary high and getting higher don't waste ammo. Make every shot count and fill the freezer with every pull of the trigger now days thats how I look at it.

Funny about that. Hoarding is EXACTLY why there is a shortage. Now, I'm not calling anyone out- hell, it's human nature to stock up (I have 10 years of reloading supplies, 20 if I conserve). But the economics is pretty dang simple. If 10% of consumers buy 10x what they normally would need, then the other 90% of consumers will have NOTHING available to buy. Oh, what's that you say? Why don't those dumb manufacturers just increase capacity? I say they do exactly that, but NOBODY can afford to increase manufacturing 10x. Especially since as soon as everyone hoards their 10x supply, all that manufacturing goes to waste and the companies go bankrupt.

Of course, there is conserving your supply- which I believe most old school hunters do these days. But if you are new to hunting/shooting, learning new equipment, developing sub moa loads for that crazy pricey rifle you just traded your x-box collection for- ammo will be required!!

Making every shot count to fill the freezer depends on a lot of practice without a range finder.

There are many that alarmingly don't seem to get that technology may very well help you keep a supply of ammo when it matters...

Making every shot count to fill the freezer depends on a lot of practice without a range finder.

There are many that alarmingly don't seem to get that technology may very well help you keep a supply of ammo when it matters...
We can always count on you to tell us we’re stupid. :cry::D

I go to the range about every other day, mostly the calm, early mornings. There are no prairie dogs anymore so I can’t practice on them. I shoot anywhere from 10 rounds to over a hundred each time and about 20 minutes to 2 hours. I never make a day of it. I’m lucky now. I was so incredibly busy at work for 17 years that I only shot about once a month. And that one time was usually rushed or I was very sloppy. The good thing about being so busy, is that I was able to build up my components. I still buy primers when I see them so I don’t run out, but I still maintain a good amount of stuff. I love my range time. I went through 11 pounds of powder in the last 12 months. My thing I guess is obsessing about accuracy and chasing the good loads and groups. I find that too much shooting paper can get boring and almost non productive. To make it more interesting and fun, I plink small 1-2” rocks on the 200 and 300 yard berms. I sometimes spread out rocks to keep me from searching for them at random with the scope. My grandfather was one that only shot when it was time to hunt and I got the impression he really wasn’t into guns and saw them as a tool and he couldn’t be called a firearm enthusiast. He just saw no sense in plinking or target shooting.

My mentor hunters were all ammunition conservers due to availability and cost (remote Alaska). We rarely went out targeting “for fun”. Ammo was too expensive and hard to get (due to extra hazard fees to ship to remote AK). Every single round was precious. We tried to stretch every box of 30-06 as far as we could (think enough to dial in your scope or make sure you are zeroed in and enough shots for a successful harvest). I always bought as much ammo as I could afford when I visited a city, but the fear of running out was always a possibility.

I have since moved and find it more difficult to fit in with the shooting crowd and hunting crowd. Both sets seemed to want to go targeting and shooting more often. I do go sometimes, but can’t bring myself to shoot more than a few rounds. Even if they pay for the ammo, I still have a hard time using it.

I get that practice makes perfect, but to be honest we always got in as close as possible to harvest anway. If we couldn’t get to the distance we wanted, we didn’t shoot. Also, there was nothing worse than wounding and losing an animal because even the best shooters/hunters make mistakes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom