Ammunition Shortage

What shortage. I here for ammo manufacturer staff they have warehouses full. Uh....not sure what to f-ing believe in this world of ours anymore. I've got enough to last a couple of lifetimes for my family. That was done intentionally too.

For those who don’t have a stock pile and try to buy it right before a hunt, I believe those folks will have a difficult time finding any. Tough times ahead with the uncertainty with ammo availability

Shortages come and go, I'm guessing that you'll be able to find some ammo before the Fall if you need it. It's still being manufactured.

I'm guessing as all the old hoarding geezers slowly die off, their kids are going to be finding like 10000 rounds of ammo stacked up in their basements.

Lol! But those old hoarding geezers aren't posting, wondering where the ammo is with their hand out! It'll normalize again, and when it does, stock up!

No not this year, but next year when they close down the primer factory’s it will be tough to get

Seen a AD on the farm channel the other night showing one of the ammo makers, showing there ISN'T a shortage. showed the machines running making all size and caliber ammo.

I wonder if they bumped their price and store are waiting to see if they will move their prices back down before they buy a bunch of stock that will sit in a warehouse YOU know that alot of people is out of work and money so that be a factor.

Went to my buddy's gun shop today. Plenty on the shelves in most calibers, and lots of WSM and SAUM. I did pick up another box of my 300RUM for an elk hunt I have here on the desert. Hornady Outfitter with 180 GMX; $75/bx here local, and Midway wants $99.99.

Some of us "old geezers" got a jolt several elections ago. During one shortage I was prepping for a long awaited sheep hunt and when I couldn't find bullets it freaked me out. Fortunately I found what I needed and since then I've determined I won't get caught in that position again.
I don't believe in hoarding, and I loath those who buy up ammo and reloading supplies to resale for profit. What I do believe in is keeping enough ammo/reloading components that I don't have to worry about the coming hunting season.

Another old "Geezer" here who is a lot smarter then those young "wet behind the ears" who got caught short on ammo or reloading supplies.
Littlebighorn is right about us learning from the Clinton-Obama years about shortage of ammo. I have enough on hand to be shooting for the next 10 years without buying any on the market. I could make a fortune on the Powder and Primers I have on hand. Over 60 lbs. of powder and 23,000 primers and not one pound of powder or one primer is for sale to anyone.
You "wet behind the ears" young ones better wise up and learn to stock up when the supplies are plentiful and reasonable in price.

RELH

Shortages come and go, I'm guessing that you'll be able to find some ammo before the Fall if you need it. It's still being manufactured.

I'm guessing as all the old hoarding geezers slowly die off, their kids are going to be finding like 10000 rounds of ammo stacked up in their basements.
I have more 22’s than that. Does that make me a bad person? :)

RELH,
And when will that be happening again?
I have enough of everything to load some ammo for everything I want to shoot, but not an abundance of anything....

Every outdoor message board on the net has one of these threads.

Each one is populated by the same characters:

1. "Woe is me" - help a brother out

2. "F- me".....wtf happened to all the ammo

3. "Look at me"- im so much smarter than youse guys.

Every thread exactly the same.

An entrepreneurial spark, would be some kind of uber/lift style piggyback ride for traded components going back and forth across the country.

I have more 22’s than that. Does that make me a bad person? :)
Haha! I might be pushing that for 22s myself! For me, 100 rounds of each center fire caliber is enough for me to feel comfortable. But it seems like the older people get, the higher that number is.

April 1st,,,, a 15% increase at the factory level... Fact!!!!!! My math tells me what that means at my level

Another old "Geezer" here who is a lot smarter then those young "wet behind the ears" who got caught short on ammo or reloading supplies.
Littlebighorn is right about us learning from the Clinton-Obama years about shortage of ammo. I have enough on hand to be shooting for the next 10 years without buying any on the market. I could make a fortune on the Powder and Primers I have on hand. Over 60 lbs. of powder and 23,000 primers and not one pound of powder or one primer is for sale to anyone.
You "wet behind the ears" young ones better wise up and learn to stock up when the supplies are plentiful and reasonable in price.

RELH
Bless your heart! Is that the too cool for school LEO coming out or just the Kalifornian??? ?

Gun broker had a case of Hornady 6.5PRC 143elx for $1265 last week. When I looked at it, there were 3 hours left on the auction and 39 bids against it.

Bless your heart! Is that the too cool for school LEO coming out or just the Kalifornian???

Both, being a former LEO living in CA. I saw the direction things were going with firearms long before you guys in other states saw it coming. Just before our liberal Gov. outlawed internet sales of ammo, I made several major purchases of factory ammo and even got them at sale prices. 1.000 rounds of 9mm 115 gr. HP at just under 90 bucks. also got a great price on PPU 7.62X39mm for my mini 30 and I get to reload the brass cases.
Things should level out in the year as the factories are trying to catch up. When it does, you guys that got caught short handed need to stock up on the calibers you shoot the most, and do it before this liberal Federal government passes more laws to restrict firearms and the ability to get ammo for them.
Some of you guys living in states that have liberals running the state better be prepared for your state Gov. to follow the example set by CA. to stop your internet sales of ammo and force you to buy face to face from a licensed dealer that will be required to keep records of your ammo purchases at higher prices.
I served under five different sheriffs in my career. The best one i served under told me this. "The day they outlaw guns will be the day I will become an outlaw". That Sheriff told me that in the mid 80's as he saw it coming way back then in CA.
RELH

Last edited:
There's only 200rnds in a case. Who only has 100rnds/caliber? I'm short on some newly purchased calibers but that's it. It will normalize again, when it does, start buying it by the case. It's cheaper that way.

I feel comfortable with what I have, I to said I will not go through this again and stalked up through the years. I have a feeling big changes are coming.

I talked to a local gun shop and he told me that they have sold over 70 Million guns nationwide since the pandemic started. He then said if everyone of those people buy two boxes of shells that is over a billion bullets. That is just for the new guns sold in the last year.
Buy it when you see it or it won't be there when you get back.

If you're a shooter it's a good idea to stock up as much as you think you'll need. If you're a killer, you probably already have enough. I'm not a shooter.
And if you're BOTH a shooter and a killer, you need even MORE.
I suppose I resemble that remark!

I'm also one of those old guys that Hoss says he has to save.... like I'm holding my breath for that. ;)

Zeke

No not for me and my kids... I have plenty loaded up and ready to go, with plenty more components to load more...

Hossblur said:
I have kids. There is never enough ammo.

But from my own eyes, it aint dudes with kids. Its dudes in electric carts. Dudes with walkers.

In the next few years we will start hearing about old Bob dying, and them finding 100k rounds in every caliber stacked everywhere.

Hossblur is upset because he did not think far enough ahead to stock up during the good times and now blames others for his poor judgement.
Hossblur, I have 5 grandkids that come over and shoot at my home range and I have plenty of ammo.

RELH

Hossblur said:
I have kids. There is never enough ammo.

But from my own eyes, it aint dudes with kids. Its dudes in electric carts. Dudes with walkers.

In the next few years we will start hearing about old Bob dying, and them finding 100k rounds in every caliber stacked everywhere.

Hossblur is upset because he did not think far enough ahead to stock up during the good times and now blames others for his poor judgement.
Hossblur, I have 5 grandkids that come over and shoot at my home range and I have plenty of ammo.

RELH

I think what he feels is, like the TP hoarders ammo hoarders should just calm down a bit and recognize that although there may come a time when factories stop making ammo (and TP I suppose) now is not that time.

And while some old man may justify his purchase of more ammo than he will EVER use, even in an apocalyptic Civil War or zombie attack by simply saying he is only being prepared, the reality is he is separated from....well reality.

Buy enough to keep your favorite guns fed for 5 to 10 years and don't be the d!ck selling 22 ammo on gunbroker for 150 bucks a brick.

I don’t think many people really believed this would be this bad or last this long. It is unprecedented in my lifetime. Even the Obama scare didn’t come close to this. I just called Basspro in San Antonio and asked about their supply. They told me they have not gotten ANY ammo this week and don’t know when they will???? Glad I have plenty for hunting. Just none for target at this point. So count me as upset and having poor judgement. Lots and lots of us in that category.

Also checked with my local sporting good store that would always have some in the past. They haven’t received any ammo in over 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I think what he feels is, like the TP hoarders ammo hoarders should just calm down a bit and recognize that although there may come a time when factories stop making ammo (and TP I suppose) now is not that time.

And while some old man may justify his purchase of more ammo than he will EVER use, even in an apocalyptic Civil War or zombie attack by simply saying he is only being prepared, the reality is he is separated from....well reality.

Buy enough to keep your favorite guns fed for 5 to 10 years and don't be the d!ck selling 22 ammo on gunbroker for 150 bucks a brick.
Um, not necessarily.

What good is a stash of money in the bank and an ammo cupboard that’s bare? Some people might view a mass buy as an investment.

Its about balance.....diversify with both cash and ammo. :)

You may all notice too how shooting ranges haven't been as busy lately. Maybe COVID-related or maybe people don't want to start shooting through their stockpiles???

Don't be dumber than RELH. mtmuley

MtMuley, I am not the one looking for ammo that is not on the shelf and if it was, it will cost you many times more then what I paid for my ammo.
when was the last time you paid $88.00 for 2,000 rounds of Winchester 22LR. $85.00 for 1,000 rounds of 9mm 115 gr. Hp ammo. 5 boxes of 300 Winchester Magnum loaded with Barnes SST bullets for less then $20.00 per box of 20 rounds.
I stocked up when it was plentiful and low in price knowing that this would happen again with liberal Democrats running the show.
RELH

There is no shortage , only an excess of morons hording.

That said, anyone who can't hunt because they don't have ammo this year is dumb enough they shouldn't own a gun anyway.
It’s “morons hoarding”. Insults are much better with proper grammar and spelling.

Last edited:
There is no shortage , only an excess of morons hording.

That said, anyone who can't hunt because they don't have ammo this year is dumb enough they shouldn't own a gun anyway.
I am curious. Where does one go these days to become a hoarder? I want to apply. Do they meet in secret in the alleys behind sporting goods stores. Do you buy them straight off the truck before they make it into the stores? Because currently, if hoarders are the only problem, where are THEY getting their ammo?? You can't blame this on people who bought a stockpile 6 months ago, because they can still make more right?

If you punch in 270 ammo into Ammoseek.com currently, you get 2 results. Both are for 20 round boxes and both are $100/box. Normally you would get hundreds of results that start at around $20/box. Seems like there is a supply problem to me

If there is no shortage going forward, please tell me where I can go and apply to be a hoarder and get in on their ammunition supplies?

I am curious. Where does one go these days to become a hoarder? I want to apply. Do they meet in secret in the alleys behind sporting goods stores. Do you buy them straight off the truck before they make it into the stores? Because currently, if hoarders are the only problem, where are THEY getting their ammo?? You can't blame this on people who bought a stockpile 6 months ago, because they can still make more right?

If you punch in 270 ammo into Ammoseek.com currently, you get 2 results. Both are for 20 round boxes and both are $100/box. Normally you would get hundreds of results that start at around $20/box. Seems like there is a supply problem to me

If there is no shortage going forward, please tell me where I can go and apply to be a hoarder and get in on their ammunition supplies?
Here is what I'm seeing in my area: Older guys waiting in the parking lots of shops before sun up on delivery day.

Here is what I'm seeing in my area: Older guys waiting in the parking lots of shops before sun up on delivery day.
Yep, exactly! That’s what’s happening in my area as well! Some of them can barely walk so I’m guessing it’s not for hunting or shooting.

You guys must live in better areas than me. My local gun shops aren’t getting any ammo and stores like Basspro might get some once a week but they can’t tell you when. If any stores near me actually got regular shipments, then I could go buy ammo if I really wanted to. But they are not. Also, stores can implement limits on what you can purchase too. I suspect most do. If they don’t, then you should complain to the manager.

To be clear, I have plenty of ammo to hunt with for the next several years, and that is without hoarding. And who wants a to buy them at the current pricing anyway. ?

Is hoarding part of the problem: sure. But when shops can’t even get ammo for weeks at a time, there is more going on than just hoarding.

Last edited:
You guys must live in better areas than me. My local gun shops aren’t getting any ammo and stores like Basspro might get some once a week but they can’t tell you when. If any stores near me actually got regular shipments, then I could go buy ammo if I really wanted to. But they are not. Also, stores can implement limits on what you can purchase too. I suspect most do. If they don’t, then you should complain to the manager.

To be clear, I have plenty of ammo to hunt with for the next several years, and that is without hoarding. And who wants a to buy them at the current pricing anyway. ?

Is hoarding part of the problem: sure. But when shops can’t even get ammo for weeks at a time, there is more going on than just hoarding.

Uh...they know when they get them. Do you think maybe guys that work in those stores don't have friends they give the best info to?

Also know a guy at a local Bimart that was buying it himself and selling it on gunbroker from home.

Also I imagine if some guy on MM is talking about buy low and sell high for ammo, I would think there is a business or two sitting on ammo waiting for its prices to climb higher....it ain't going down anytime soon.

Been trying to find a box or two of Nosler (300RUM) Trophy Grade 180 grain. No luck - anyone have some ideas.

Sorry but no ideas.

Keep asking and looking around.

Ignore the people who wanna beotch at you for not seeing it coming and being prepared. They are not wrong but its too late for that now.

Admittedly I didn't really "see it coming" but rather always try to have sufficient+ on hand. It's simply called "be prepared" like the Boy/Girl scouts motto. My "sufficient" is probably different than most since I load for 4 daughters, their husbands along with my grandkids.

Once I did see it coming, I grabbed a few more primers and powder but certainly not excessive amounts by my standards.

On another note, the scalpers are certainly free to ask their ridiculous prices but I hope no one pays it since it's just fuel on the fire and they're being tools.

I remember back under Obama, primers were getting hard to find for a short period. I attended the Reno gun show and as I walked in the door. There was a old fart at a table with about 30 thousand primers and asking $50.00 per thousand primers.
I was still shooting pistol matches back then and needed to stock up on large pistol primers, but I passed him by at his scalper prices.
Miwall was there and selling at normal prices and I purchased 5,000 primers for $135.00. That by the door scalper never sold a primer while I was there and I remarked to him as I went out, that he was going to eat those primers. Boy! did I get the dirty look.
RELH

So Biden blocked ammunition manufacture and distribution before he took office ? that logic must have come from the same place that told me Obama was going to take all my guns.

MtMuley, I am not the one looking for ammo that is not on the shelf and if it was, it will cost you many times more then what I paid for my ammo.
when was the last time you paid $88.00 for 2,000 rounds of Winchester 22LR. $85.00 for 1,000 rounds of 9mm 115 gr. Hp ammo. 5 boxes of 300 Winchester Magnum loaded with Barnes SST bullets for less then $20.00 per box of 20 rounds.
I stocked up when it was plentiful and low in price knowing that this would happen again with liberal Democrats running the show.
RELH
You missed my point I think. mtmuley

This is why you can't find anything on the shelves.

Our local gun shop had the shelves filled with these. Plus mutiple cases on the floor. Finding 6.5 here is not a issue. Everyone goes in for .45acp,9mm,.380,.223 and. 22. Which works great for me. I can get 45-70,.300mag,30-06, .270 etc. Any day of the week..

I think the biggest reason for all the 6.5 here is most the guys re-load..

Lucky for me i am not in a panic. I knew my hoarding would play off. But here is the catch. Our family shoots almost every week. I hoarded for habit of shooting.

Our local gun shop also keeps a big supply in the back. If you buy a 9mm they will sell ya 2 150 round boxes which i think is kinda cool for new gun buyers. I recently bought a gun from them. I said sell the ammo to someone who needs it.

My local gun dealer also keeps ammo in reserve for his gun buyers. He could not get any ammo from his normal suppliers and he turned to a local business that manufactures reloaded pistol ammo. He also told me that he has had many new gun buyers that bought their first gun from him and a lot of them were women.
RELH

RELH
Always took ya for the type of guy to bring a knife to a gun fight.

slightlysober, here is what I take to a gun fight. I pack all the time.

RELH

000_4594.JPG

000_4595.JPG

RELH
I bet Newsom would like to have that ?

Bluehair how dare you call that first pistol a lowly Goldcup. That pistol is a National Match made prior to the gold cup series when Colt used to handfit all the parts
The original owner of that gun took it out of the box and used it at the national pistol match at Camp Perry. I carried it on duty for 10 years and when I retired I had the gun engraved and custom grip panels made for it. Also had the frame nickel plated which destroyed it's collector value. I did not care about the collector value, over $ 2,000, as I never plan to sell it and will hand it down to my oldest son who is in law enforcement.
That 1-1/2 group was fired by me at 25 yards over a sandbag rest and it was 8 rounds of my hot +P duty loads I carried. My IDPA match gun, the S&W 1911, group is 8 rounds of Federal Gold Match 185 gr. ammo and was fired by the custom smith that did the accuracy work on the gun. It was fired from a Ransom rest and that hole can be covered by a 5 cent nickel.

RELH

Ahhh, apologies from a lowly gold cup shooter. :)

I saw a dolled up nickle plated gold cup with pearl grips that was in commemoration of another LEO. I was reminded when I saw yours.

Bluehair all jokes aside the Goldcup was a very darn good pistol, but Colt started taking shortcuts with it as the National Match and all it's hand fitting just got too expensive to make and sell at a good profit. I just lucked out and came across that gun at a price I could afford on my LEO salary. Would you believe the seller took monthly payments.
My wife was not a happy camper on me buying that pistol.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom