Anadarko Land Access

Torq

Hi guys, I have been scouring the internet and having trouble finding a solid answer. I have heard that in the past Anadarko allowed public access for hunting on their property. I know ownership of Anadarko has changed. Does anybody know if it is still ok to be on Anadarko land? I have reached out to some contacts with Anadarko and I am hoping to hear back, but thought I would check here to see if anybody knows. Thanks

Anadarko doesn’t exist anymore. It, along with all the land in question was sold to Occidental, who in turn sold it to a company called Orion Mine Finance. It’s yet to be determined how they are going to handle access. More than likely there won’t be an answer on that until next hunting season.

Sorry wrong link above, you would need to call the grazing association in Rock Springs 307-362-3921
They had the lease on the land and controlled the access I believe. They should know something about their lease and access for this year.

RSGA does not control access to the UP/Anadarko/Oxy/Orion sections. Chester has given you the best answer so far.

Thanks all, I spent most of the day calling around and talking to different people. I couldn't figure out if the Occidental sell to Orion has closed yet or if it is still processing.

OnX still says Anadarko, which made me wonder if maybe there was some property that they still had that hadn't been totally sold off to Occidental since the Occidental purchase happened several years ago I would have thought OnX would be more up to date than that.

Anadarko never allowed access east of the continental divide but most of the lands on the west side were always accessible, especially around Rock Springs where they were intermingled with BLM checkerboard and Rock Springs grazing association lands. On the east side the large ranch holders who leased the lands for grazing also didn’t want the public to access those lands for hunting so in areas of Carbon county access to Anadarko lands was almost non-existent, especially around Hanna area. Now they have sold it Chesters answer is likely the best.

Just thought I would update you all on what I found out. I called Anadarko who sold to Occidental, Occidental sold to Orion Mines, Orion Mines has a subsidiary called Sweetwater Royalties. The President and CEO of Sweetwater Royalties, John DeCooman, called me after I had left a message wit Orion and he said absolutely they were giving access to the land. He was a really cool guy and told me to send him a picture if I got something. Sadly I came back empty handed. He did tell me they were going to come out with a media statement soon saying that people could hunt it, I haven't searched to see if it has come out yet, but that I could go ahead and spread the word so that others could hunt it as well.

New guy here. I found this thread while researching for my unit 100 cow tag that I drew this year. Just wanted to provide a little update. I emailed Sweetwater royalties wanting to confirm access/hunting, there technical service director stated “Sweetwater Royalties does not allow public hunting on lands that we control” and “There is no problem if you are crossing our land on established roads to access other adjoining sections, but unfortunately you cannot take an animal on our lands.”

New guy here. I found this thread while researching for my unit 100 cow tag that I drew this year. Just wanted to provide a little update. I emailed Sweetwater royalties wanting to confirm access/hunting, there technical service director stated “Sweetwater Royalties does not allow public hunting on lands that we control” and “There is no problem if you are crossing our land on established roads to access other adjoining sections, but unfortunately you cannot take an animal on our lands.”
Which type tag?

100-4. I was lucky enough to draw an antelope tag in unit 60 two years ago and been wanting to get back to that area and knew that I was never going to catch up to get the type 1 tag.

I plan to be up there from October 22 to the 29th so if you see a silver ram pick up with Kansas tags wandering around for feel free to catch one and tie it to a tree for me.

That is the official answer, ask the field workers out there in the I-80 checkerboard and the answer 4 times of 5 is go ahead just do not shoot any holes in our stuff and stay on the roads. But good to know you can cross it now with no issue with the new ownership. My cousin has a 100 type 1 elk tag this year, I put in for a random Pronghorn tag in there just because. Should be fun,

I'm betting OnX still says Anadarko.....
You are correct, it all shows Anadarko.

Here is the whole email. I removed phone #’s and last names.

What I sent:
I wanted to reach out to you regarding land access in Sweetwater County Wyoming. More specifically the land north of Superior, Wyoming on Highway 371.

I understand this land use to be owned by anadarko, then Oxy, and now Orion/Sweetwater royalties.

I drew a cow elk tag In unit 100 which covers of large portion of Sweetwater County and the land that you own. I had heard that you allow hunting access much like the rock Springs grazing association. I was wanting to verify this to void any issues during the season.

Thank you
Ryan

Response:
Ryan -

Thanks for reaching out, however you have been incorrectly informed. Sweetwater Royalties does not allow public hunting on lands that we control - Aggie Grazing LLC and Sweetwater Surface LLC, are the two surface ownerships you most likely see in Sweetwater County. This is mostly due to liability, indemnification, and insurance concerns of our organization. There is no problem if you are crossing our land on established roads to access other adjoining sections, but unfortunately you cannot take an animal on our lands. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

-Matt

Matt H MSc PG MAusIMM RM-SME

Technical Services Director

Office/MS Teams:

Mobile/Direct:

That is the official answer, ask the field workers out there in the I-80 checkerboard and the answer 4 times of 5 is go ahead just do not shoot any holes in our stuff and stay on the roads. But good to know you can cross it now with no issue with the new ownership. My cousin has a 100 type 1 elk tag this year, I put in for a random Pronghorn tag in there just because. Should be fun,
Good to hear! Won’t hurt to ask if a guy sees the field staff.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom