Anchorage to Nabesna

I'm doing the same drive next week. I went a round about way of doing it because rental cars were so high.
Ill report back

I am hunting with the Ellis brothers.

There’s a shuttle from anchorage to tok a few days a week. They could drop you off at the junction. With some a vague question that’s about all I could help with.

I ended up borrowing a car. Great drive. The Nabesna road was not near as bad as expected after all the caution I received about it.
I'm curious as to what you had going on in Nebesna if you didnt know who the Ellis bros are.

Anyway good luck!

I ended up borrowing a car. Great drive. The Nabesna road was not near as bad as expected after all the caution I received about it.
I'm curious as to what you had going on in Nebesna if you didnt know who the Ellis bros are.

Anyway good luck!
How did your hunt go?

Amazing experience. It was tough but rewarding. Lot of miles, not a lot of sheep. I harvested an exceptional ram on the fourth afternoon.
Good deal! It’s been a rough season so far. Going to be a record low harvest.

Good deal! It’s been a rough season so far. Going to be a record low harvest.
I know when I checked mine in they said that there office was 60 percent below the amount they had checked in from last year that same date, and last year wasn’t great either.

What’s behind the low numbers, over harvest, winter kill or just plain old hunting?
I’m not sure anyone really knows. Lots of winter kill, poor lamb survival in the spring, habitat loss, the list goes on. I’m sure targeting older rams plays into it somewhere but we don’t shoot ewes up here so who knows?

Lots of sublegal rams killed this year, a ton of 7 year old ram squeakers.

Not sure how it’s going to come back. We shall see…

I’m not sure anyone really knows. Lots of winter kill, poor lamb survival in the spring, habitat loss, the list goes on. I’m sure targeting older rams plays into it somewhere but we don’t shoot ewes up here so who knows?

Lots of sublegal rams killed this year, a ton of 7 year old ram squeakers.

Not sure how it’s going to come back. We shall see…
?

Check your email when you get some free time…

My outfitter only took three hunters this year whereas 10 years ago was taking 10. Only because of numbers being down.
Yet this year, there were more hunters in his concession than he has ever seen.(residents) And one plane that most certainly running a commercial operation(my opinion).
Why doesn't Alaska manage their sheep herd with a draw system? Both for locals and non residents alike?
It seems very simple to me. If we had OTC tags for any sheep in the west the same thing would happen in that area.
Why do Alaska residents NEED to kill a sheep every year?
I live in NM and spend more time in the sticks than most. Both on years I draw and years I don't. I have never felt that I need or should be able to hunt elk, deer or god forbid sheep every year. Would it be nice? Hell yes it would. When I draw that's great, but I do not get upset when I don't. I know the draw system is there for the overall good of the herd.

What are yalls thoughts?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom