Another 61 first season Elk tag holder

Aaronjhanson

Hey there, I too have a 61 First season elk rifle tag this year. I decided to get out of the points game. I hope I picked the right unit. LOL!

I am headed to Nucla for 3 days to do some scouting on that side of the unit. I have a hand full of areas picked out down there, and I am wondering if I should have some higher elevation spots on my list?

At what elevations should I focus on for that first rifle hunt?
What kind of pressure should I expect during that short hunt?
I have read lots of comments to stay away from the divide road. Would I miss out on anything if I don't hunt that side? I never hear anything about the Northern parts of that unit.
I have been on google earth picking out places to hike. Just wondering if I am missing something.

Best of luck man. I will hopefully be drawing the archery tag in a year or so! Shoot me a message and maybe we can do some scouting together!

You will absolutely wear yourself trying to cover/scout that entire unit. I can speak from experience on that.. like it’s been stated probably a thousand times over again on this form and probably others, there are elk in about every reasonable drainage in the unit. Depending on the time you have to invest into scouting, I’d recommend picking a section of the unit and focus on solely learning that country. From what I’ve witnessed from being there in the 1st rifle season as of recent is the pressure from archery, Muzzy and Early rifle season will typically push whats remains of the decent 300 type bulls into the lower desert type PJ country. Majority of the bulls that stay up on top with the cows are typically small 6 points and 5 points that honestly majority of people with tags in the first season end up killing.

You will absolutely wear yourself trying to cover/scout that entire unit. I can speak from experience on that.. like it’s been stated probably a thousand times over again on this form and probably others, there are elk in about every reasonable drainage in the unit. Depending on the time you have to invest into scouting, I’d recommend picking a section of the unit and focus on solely learning that country. From what I’ve witnessed from being there in the 1st rifle season as of recent is the pressure from archery, Muzzy and Early rifle season will typically push whats remains of the decent 300 type bulls into the lower desert type PJ country. Majority of the bulls that stay up on top with the cows are typically small 6 points and 5 points that honestly majority of people with tags in the first season end up killing.
Thank you Coloradoboy, Isent you a PM

Its been a few years now but I scouted that area by the Reservoir and it was loaded with Elk. I was there right after archery ended and before 1st rifle started. Caught some nice trout dinner there also.

Its been a few years now but I scouted that area by the Reservoir and it was loaded with Elk. I was there right after archery ended and before 1st rifle started. Caught some nice trout dinner there also.
You didn’t catch them from Casto!
?

True beans, Casto drys out often enough that fishing can be rather poor. Lot’s of waterdogs though. You must be thinking of Big Creek.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen, I have spots to check out all over the unit. I need to narrow it down to a few spots. Heck that might changes as soon as I get feet on the ground there.

I will be staying in Nucla this time, where is a good place to eat?

“the lower desert type PJ country”
Coloradoboy what is the lower elevation of the PJ country your talking about here ?

Thanks for all the input gentlemen, I have spots to check out all over the unit. I need to narrow it down to a few spots. Heck that might changes as soon as I get feet on the ground there.

I will be staying in Nucla this time, where is a good place to eat?
5th Avenue Grill. A bear had gotten into their dumpster the night before I rolled in. The bear left full and I left fat.

The land up neat the reservoir doesn't look to be super super terrible. Am I correct? It seems that the more southern part of the unit is pretty nasty.

The land up neat the reservoir doesn't look to be super super terrible. Am I correct? It seems that the more southern part of the unit is pretty nasty.
Not to bad. There’s plenty of elk there. I never found anything big there though. Spent a day over there with my brother on his tag and found one 280 to 290ish bull And alot of raghorns

There’s a lot of stuff in that unit that I refer to as ‘Nam like country. Think jungles of oak brush that will absolutely beat you up trying to walk through
Haha I like it. I'm pretty in shape and know elk fairly well so I'm really excited for the next year or two. Got mostly everything planned out and just gaining knowledge of the unit off foot and internet now.

Watch Randy Newberg's video of him hunting 61 a few years back. I think is called " pack out from hell"
I think I've seen that video. I also watched outback outdoors and he had a tag back in 2018 I believe? Could be wrong on date, he missed an absolute stud bull, but most of the terrain he is hunting is nasty, thick and steep.

I know where he killed that bull by the scenery. Yes it’s steep and deep.
I probably would have gone a different direction but that’s just me.

Called this one in to 40 yards for my brother during first rifle.
1BCA7938-9A22-417E-8410-A6D7BB30A4A0.jpeg

I helped a friend pack out a cow from too far down, at least we didn’t have to pack a head. This was on the way down for the second loads, we were hoping to discover a better way up.

When I get my archery tag, (fingers crossed on when I will) I'd shoot him on day one.
We passed this bull multiple times. Ended up killing him the last day. All the big bulls I had found during the summer were killed muzzy/early rifle and the others fled to the desert country. Couldn’t make it happen down there in the short time we had so came back up on top and killed one. Absolutely amazed me the amount of guys that were smashing raghorns after day 3

We passed this bull multiple times. Ended up killing him the last day. All the big bulls I had found during the summer were killed muzzy/early rifle and the others fled to the desert country. Couldn’t make it happen down there in the short time we had so came back up on top and killed one. Absolutely amazed me the amount of guys that were smashing raghorns after day 3
That's insane. I'm after the archery tag so luckily I won't have the muzzy and rifle guys before me. If I get a 300in bull in front of me I'd be tickled. I am more looking for the awesome experience. But I'll work for a nice bull.

They need to move muzzy to 4th season rifle. Eliminate early rifle. And cut back on tags, to bring quality up in 61.

They need to move muzzy to 4th season rifle. Eliminate early rifle. And cut back on tags, to bring quality up in 61.
They give to many tags in 61 for it ever to be outstanding. I truly think the only reason it’s become increasingly harder and harder to draw is the massive amounts of people giving up on drawing the NW corner units and jumping ship to 61.

Hey there, I too have a 61 First season elk rifle tag this year. I decided to get out of the points game. I hope I picked the right unit. LOL!

I am headed to Nucla for 3 days to do some scouting on that side of the unit. I have a hand full of areas picked out down there, and I am wondering if I should have some higher elevation spots on my list?

At what elevations should I focus on for that first rifle hunt?
What kind of pressure should I expect during that short hunt?
I have read lots of comments to stay away from the divide road. Would I miss out on anything if I don't hunt that side? I never hear anything about the Northern parts of that unit.
I have been on google earth picking out places to hike. Just wondering if I am missing something.
Are you looking for a place to stay. I have an opening for the 1st rifle season. My place is located in unit 61 near Campbell Point. Bordering both Forest and BLM. Great place to be during 1st rifle.
Contact me 970-778-7145 for more information

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom