Another Amazing Valle Vidal Weekend

Empty Nester

Spent another 4 days in this amazing country. Rain every day. Grass that reaches above my gaiters. Incredible views......and lots of elk. Not sure what it takes make a large set of elk horns, but if water and feed are ingredients, it could be a special year

general question: is it possible for bulls / cows to miss a breeding cycle. Reason for asking is that last year it seemed like 7 out of 10 cows had calves with them. Last September was hot and dry. I did not witness any rutting activity when I was there mid September. This year the percentage is 2 out of 10 cows have calves from what I’ve seen. Just asking for general knowledge.
1580C0A8-6F13-49A9-9176-D6D0C8C48C14.jpeg
B0ED391C-8992-4A53-AC1D-ADCC586BF3A5.jpeg

The Bears eat at least half the calves. And VV has way to many Bears now, maybe that's the reason. The cows will recycle until they are bred, some abort for whatever reason, but they all got bred. Every cow I've seen in my area has a calf this year, last year it was maybe half.

How’s the hunting overall in VV last few years ? Any big bulls taken or seen ? I’ve never drawn. Like Az on everything, never a draw !!! Darn it !
Jerry Gold-Windsor, Colorado ?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom