Another attack

How exactly does that work? How does a dead bear deliver the message to the others?
Theoretically via natural selection. Works with most species, but one might question that with grizzlies.

Think coyotes. Coyotes in the wild are very, very afraid of people. Hell, I've seen them up to a mile out hightailing it away as if I were right on them with a gun. The coyotes that survive out there are the ones who've figured out man is out to get them. Coyotes in town- totally opposite. The ones who've survived are the ones brave enough to eat your cat or small dog. They know nothing of people out to get them. I've literally charged at them here in Phoenix just to have them slightly turn and amble off like I was simply a nuisance.

I just don't believe grizzlies can be trained like that. Maybe I'm wrong...

You don't think animals know who is in their community and notice when they go missing? Why are animals that get hunted afraid of humans, but those who don't aren't? Think deer and elk in National Parks and towns vs. those that live in the wild.

You don't think animals know who is in their community and notice when they go missing? Why are animals that get hunted afraid of humans, but those who don't aren't? Think deer and elk in National Parks and towns vs. those that live in the wild.
Who’s to say the bears are not already trying to avoid humans and for the most part are successful? there’s been numerous bears taken out of the “community” in the last decade so your argument is void. In this case 3 bears are gone. More community members lost for simply being who they are. A mom defending her cubs. Sad.

Even in AK where we can shoot them 365 days a year there are still bear attacks. It’s going to happen no matter what. But nothing is more foolish than to say we need to hunt them to put the fear of man in them. 2nd foolish thing is “they come in to gun shots”.

Hopefully one day you’ll be able to hunt them in the lower 48 again. I believe it will happen.

Last edited:
Who’s to say the bears are not already trying to avoid humans and for the most part are successful? there’s been numerous bears taken out of the “community” in the last decade so your argument is void. In this case 3 bears are gone. More community members lost for simply being who they are. A mom defending her cubs. Sad.

Even in AK where we can shoot them 365 days a year there are still bear attacks. It’s going to happen no matter what. But nothing is more foolish than to say we need to hunt them to put the fear of man in them. 2nd foolish thing is “they come in to gun shots”.

Hopefully one day you’ll be able to hunt them in the lower 48 again. I believe it will happen.
NO. They killed the mother only, if the Cubs are yearlings she would have run them off anyways in a few months, they will be just fine. If baby Cubs, they are likely wolf bait.

NO. They killed the mother only, if the Cubs are yearlings she would have run them off anyways in a few months, they will be just fine. If baby Cubs, they are likely wolf bait.
In coordination with Fish and Wildlife officials, the Game and Fish later euthanized the two cubs.

Is SS's last name Treadwell?

When you take the side of animals over outdoorsmen, I begin to question your sanity. (actually, there's no questioning going on but it's a nicer way to put it than stating the obvious, "you're a crazy man")

Do I think a few shots over the bow and a few through the boiler room help educate animals? Yep, it does and that's a fact.

At the very least, a little thinning is in order.

Zeke

Can we at least all agree that we need a mangenement program like hunting to start? The fact grizzly bears exceeded their numbers many years ago but yet anti groups with big money that create lawsuits keeps holding a management program to start.

I understand it's hard to do anything when you have a judge in montana that takes sides with these anti hunting groups.

When you take the side of animals over outdoorsmen, I begin to question your sanity. (actually, there's no questioning going on but it's a nicer way to put it than stating the obvious, "you're a crazy man")

Do I think a few shots over the bow and a few through the boiler room help educate animals? Yep, it does and that's a fact.

Zeke
It’s sad you’re so closed minded that you can’t show respect for animals you cannot hunt. And to compare someone to treadwell is based largely you have little experience with grizzlies. It’s ok you’re just afraid of bears. Nothing to be ashamed of. Quite common, same reason many kill rattlesnakes for no reason.

How can you call yourself an outdoorsman with such a closed mind?

@nfh i believe we can all agree there needs to be management. Does the management plan involve hunting? I would hope so. But it would be kinda scary seeing sloppy hunters like Zeke wounding grizzly bears. Maybe we should have outdoorsman handle the shooting of bears.

It’s sad you’re so closed minded that you can’t show respect for animals you cannot hunt. And to compare someone to treadwell is based largely you have little experience with grizzlies. It’s ok you’re just afraid of bears. Nothing to be ashamed of. Quite common, same reason many kill rattlesnakes for no reason.

@nfh i believe we can all agree there needs to be management. Does the management plan involve hunting? I would hope so. But it would be kinda scary seeing sloppy hunters like Zeke wounding grizzly bears. Maybe we should have outdoorsman handle the shooting of bears.

Of course mangement would inculde hunting.

I rest my case!
Zeke

The more you talk, the dummer you sound.

“Never wrestle with a pig (SS) You just get muddy and the pig (SS) likes it.”

Lighten up Timothy!

Seems you can spew it out but can’t take the ribbing. I’ll be more gentle with you since you do add to many discussions but some of your other comments are misguided or false.

There, are you happier now that we both got a little muddy?

Zeke

The more you talk, the dummer you sound.

“Never wrestle with a pig (SS) You just get muddy and the pig (SS) likes it.”

Lighten up Timothy!

Seems you can spew it out but can’t take the ribbing. I’ll be more gentle with you since you do add to many discussions but some of your other comments are misguided or false.

There, are you happier now that we both got a little muddy?

Zeke
What’s false or misguided Karen? Please do tell. Can’t wait to hear it????

Last edited:
That old guy couldn’t see the bear till it was too late! And you better because I would let the grizzly keep attacking you while I continued on. There’s too many hunters these days . Plus you’re a bird hunter. #sorrynotsorry
A Bird Hunter who has killed alot of Elk!!

Me and that Buffalo Bore guy, Tim Sundles think a lot alike when it comes to Bears.
ANY Bear gets remotely squirrely with me, he gonna catch a hot one in the pumpkin.

Me and that Buffalo Bore guy, Tim Sundles think a lot alike when it comes to Bears.
ANY Bear gets remotely squirrely with me, he gonna catch a hot one in the pumpkin.
Come on man- adding a little pepper to the bear's dinner is such a socially responsible thing to do- give one up for the planet!

So how is hunting sows and cubs going to change what happened in this situation?

Is anyone dumb enough to believe that we'll be allowing hunters to "educate" sows and cubs of the year via legal hunting?

I think people need to slow down and put some thought into their posts.

Anyone that believes killing a handful of grizzlies a year is going to "put the fear of man" into them, in particular in a defense of cubs or a food cache situation, is certifiably insane...never going to happen.

You cant change instinctual reactions when an animal is threatened.

If you think otherwise, I expect you all to stand there while some strange dude punches your wife in the face.

You kill enough of them....they'll get the message...
The Wyoming game and fish have killed hundreds of grizzlies over the years, way more per year than what the hunting quota will likely be at. So tell me again how it’s going to work?

Hunters need to realize that if you go in grizzly country there’s a chance of getting attacked. That chance isn’t going to go down because there’s a season for them.

The Wyoming game and fish have killed hundreds of grizzlies over the years, way more per year than what the hunting quota will likely be at. So tell me again how it’s going to work?

Hunters need to realize that if you go in grizzly country there’s a chance of getting attacked. That chance isn’t going to go down because there’s a season for them.
Not to mention hunters and ranchers who have had close encounters. One might even claim that the bears being taken out are the ones most disposed to attack people, yet the attacks keep happening. I'm of the opinion that grizzlies cannot be trained via natural selection or other means not to be aggressive towards people. However...

The less grizzlies there are, the less interactions. I think the goal should be a sustainable population in a reasonable size area in the lower 48, and no more than that. I don't agree that the number they are taking matches a hunting quota. Hunting is the right tool to manage the population.

And, of course, folks venturing into that area need to understand grizzlies are an apex predator, avoid interactions where possible, and defend themselves if need be.

If you think animals behaviors dont change when they know their being hunted you might want to take a closer look around

If you think animals behaviors dont change when they know their being hunted you might want to take a closer look around
Over 30 grizzly bears have been killed this year alone in WY.

That’s more than the quota Wyoming was going to try if hunting was allowed.

Over 30 grizzly bears have been killed this year alone in WY.

That’s more than the quota Wyoming was going to try if hunting was allowed.
What exactly does that have to do with hunting most of them are trapped not hunted

Just got back from grizz country had one non lethal incounter and did notice most of the bears hung out at the trail heads i dont think that would be the case if hunting were permitted.

What exactly does that have to do with hunting most of them are trapped not hunted
How will a bear know its being hunted if you kill it? How can it tell other bears to watch out for hunters if they are hunted? Do you post an obituary after written in bear? Can bears read?

Just got back from grizz country had one non lethal incounter and did notice most of the bears hung out at the trail heads i dont think that would be the case if hunting were permitted.
Sounds like more of a people problem than a bear problem. Bears use trails too. People need to be more responsible while in bear country.

Glad your encounter went ok. Did you get an elk/deer?

How will a bear know its being hunted if you kill it? How can it tell other bears to watch out for hunters if they are hunted? Do you post an obituary after written in bear? Can bears read?
How do elk know to be scared of hunters in the national forest and then let people ride up to them on slays in the refuge?

Sounds like more of a people problem than a bear problem. Bears use trails too. People need to be more responsible while in bear country.

Glad your encounter went ok. Did you get an elk/deer?
Did not saw plenty though not many hunters thats one plus of bear country

Of course there will always be attacks as lomg as there are bears but it cant hurt any to hunt them

How do elk know to be scared of hunters in the national forest and then let people ride up to them on slays in the refuge?
It has to be a trip for an elk to see his buddies get killed my two legged creatures then a month later get fed by the same two legged creatures ???

Good luck rest the season. Hopefully one day you’ll be able to hunt grizzly bears!

Zeke
I do believe after reading Ss posts he is deeply delusional or maybe like you state, a crazy man.
Human life before any animal. I’m very glad to hear these hunters will be ok.

Riiiight says the guy who chooses to live in California?
Only a short timer now. My youngest is a senior in high school. Won’t be long and we will be out of this insane state. The world has gone mad and California is leading the parade.

17 in the greater yellowstone ecosystem. 16 of those in wyoming. That was as of sep.24th...

17 in the greater yellowstone ecosystem. 16 of those in wyoming. That was as of sep.24th...
9 in Wyo, 4 in MT, 2 in ID as of today not including bear mortalities in YNP. We'll just go with your 30 bears killed in Wyoming so far this year statement. Later.

Then click on 2021 IGBST bear mortality table.

They show 2 different tables. I saw the one you were speaking of then this list has several others. Have to read it closely cause some deaths are from 2020

They show 2 different tables. I saw the one you were speaking of then this list has several others. Have to read it closely cause some deaths are from 2020
One table is for bear mortality inside inside the monetary zone the other is for outside. The last is for probible 2020 deaths. I didn't count natural deaths like drowning in the canal or deaths inside YNP or GTNP as those bears are not counted to meet the ESA requirements for the state of Wyoming. Count them like I did and see what you come up with.

It should also be noted that mortalies this year are about half of what they were in 2018 at this time but that doesn't make for a good newspaper article.

What’s wrong with grizzlies attacking people? Go into the water, shark could get ya. It’s really pretty silly to see a problem here that needs fixed. I prefer my wilderness wild, That’s why I go there. Scared of the big bad bear, stay home. Enough of them to hunt, let’s hunt them. But you ain’t changing them, nor should they change

We saw a sow with cubs charge a vehicle riding on a county rd!.....hunting is not changing that instinct.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom