Another Bad Winter

COSA

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-19 AT 07:24PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-19 AT 07:23?PM (MST)

For those thinking about applying. February has been brutal in Montana as far as cold and snow (2nd coldest in recorded history). 2 bad winters in a row on an already depleted deer resource - I would not have high expectations.... Good news is FWP has the season going until Dec. 1st this year to kill any bucks left

Nov,Dec, and Jan. were mild so deer were having it easy. Feb. shucked big time and so far March has been the same. Deer went into Feb in good shape. As of right now I don't expect a big die off unless the present weather we are getting persists in to April.

If your are hunting Public, last falls Orange Army does far more damage than all but the most severe winters.
If you are hunting private I would worry about an outbreak of EHD. It has been a few years since a major outbreak so we are dew. Will not know if EHD hits until this fall

I don't think we are going to see much/if any winter kill this year. The deer had a great summer with a ton of feed and went into winter in great condition. February was cold, but one cold and snowy month shouldn't be an issue.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom