Another day, no grizzly fatalities

Almost camping season here! "Anybody home???"

01AEB643-C01F-45BA-922A-0D4647014E27.jpeg

“Give these bears space, give the wildlife space, give the people on the ground space,” Thompson said. “Don’t put yourself in a position that’s going to be bad for you or bears.”

May God watch over and protect the people of Wyoming.

heading in tomorrow for up to 15 days in the land of brown bears. Not taking a gun so I just signed my death warrant.

It’s been real ?

heading in tomorrow for up to 15 days in the land of brown bears. Not taking a gun so I just signed my death warrant.

It’s been real ?
Be careful SS!……. hope there’s $5,000 worth of moose bone out there with your name stamp on it. Send pics!!

Be careful SS!……. hope there’s $5,000 worth of moose bone out there with your name stamp on it. Send pics!!
No moose in this spot we are going unfortunately. Target animal is brown bear for the client and maybe some steelhead if we have time.

Getting excited!

No moose in this spot we are going unfortunately. Target animal is brown bear for the client and maybe some steelhead if we have time.

Getting excited!
Post pics of that bear! And mail moose sheds to Texas.

interesting...I must be confused on the fly to shoot wait....is it 24 hours or just after 3am the next day?

10 years stationed on JBER. Put on a lot miles alone hunting. Saw some big 10+ inch tracks far in there. Always unnerving walking those trails alone but it was some of the best grouse and hare hunting I've done in the state. Guess I was just lucky but I knew there were bears watching me I couldn't see.

10 years stationed on JBER. Put on a lot miles alone hunting. Saw some big 10+ inch tracks far in there. Always unnerving walking those trails alone but it was some of the best grouse and hare hunting I've done in the state. Guess I was just lucky but I knew there were bears watching me I couldn't see.
Very unfortunate for sure. I see bears most days when I hike around there. With how many people out on those trails daily I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often.

Sometimes the people get even.

In 2003 I was busy on my motorscooter riding down HWY 88 in northern CA on my way to NV. Scenery was great, nice warm spring day....and, out of the corner of my eye, I see this VW bug in my lane of traffic.

Only it wasn't a VW bug. It was the largest black bear I have ever seen, and he was headed my way. Luckily for me he veered off the highway and into the trees.

So..., I saw my neighbor at the grocery store a couple weeks ago and he asked me if I had seen the bear? Whaaaat??? He said something tore down his bird feeder twice, so he got a trail camera, and sure enough, about 4:30am he caught the bear. Dang

I've been a little cautious since then, mostly just staying in the house except to water the garden real quick like. Today I decided the grass was getting out of hand and decided bear or no bear I would get it done. Look what I found.

P1010341.JPG

I told myself to calm down and get the grass cut, so I did. As I was mowing, I noticed a County Sheriff car drive by, and the deputy slowed down and was staring at me. Oh, well. A couple minutes later he drove by again and stopped, so I shut the mower off. He got out and came over to me. He said, "It's perfectly legal to do so but why are you carrying a rifle over your shoulder while mowing the lawn?" I said come over here and I'll show you. I showed him the scat and he said "Oh, sh!t". He unsnapped his holster and backed all the way to his car and left. Well, that didn't make me feel much better, so I quit mowing and came back into the house.

I've been meaning to hire a gardener for a while now. He starts tomorrow.

So..., I saw my neighbor at the grocery store a couple weeks ago and he asked me if I had seen the bear? Whaaaat??? He said something tore down his bird feeder twice, so he got a trail camera, and sure enough, about 4:30am he caught the bear. Dang

I've been a little cautious since then, mostly just staying in the house except to water the garden real quick like. Today I decided the grass was getting out of hand and decided bear or no bear I would get it done. Look what I found.

View attachment 76492

I told myself to calm down and get the grass cut, so I did. As I was mowing, I noticed a County Sheriff car drive by, and the deputy slowed down and was staring at me. Oh, well. A couple minutes later he drove by again and stopped, so I shut the mower off. He got out and came over to me. He said, "It's perfectly legal to do so but why are you carrying a rifle over your shoulder while mowing the lawn?" I said come over here and I'll show you. I showed him the scat and he said "Oh, sh!t". He unsnapped his holster and backed all the way to his car and left. Well, that didn't make me feel much better, so I quit mowing and came back into the house.

That is just left by one of them upstanding gentlemen from San Francisco that are deprived of a home.
Remember don't say anything negative Togwotee will call you a racist.
I am a racist for pointing out the obvious.

View attachment 76492

Looks more like a Heard mess to me……

That is just left by one of them upstanding gentlemen from San Francisco that are deprived of a home.
Remember don't say anything negative Togwotee will call you a racist.
I am a racist for pointing out the obvious.
Another possibility is Bigfoot, which really doesn't change my situation.

View attachment 76492

Great post Eel ! But are you kidding, lol. You are the open water Kayak guy with huge cajones around sharks.

More bears pay the price for people being in their space, and being stupid!!

I live in bear country and when I had garbage pick-up, we were told we had to have the garbage can out at the road by midnight because they picked it up usually around 3am. That was like intentionally feeding the bears, and quite often I did.

I got tired of picking up garbage so I bought a bear proof can with a screw on lid. The garbage company said they would not take the time to unscrew the lid. They had so many problems they finally eliminated the night time pick-up. Now they pick-up around 10am but some of my neighbors still put their garbage can out the night before. You honestly can't fix stupid.

Dibs on the claws……..I mean, it’s okay….. y’all can keep the skull. I got a great idea for a back scratcher!

The park kept the skull to clean it for studies and claws were disposed of since claws are of value

The park kept the skull to clean it for studies and claws were disposed of since claws are of value
Of course they did…….. makes perfect since………

The National Park Service presently has a cumulative monetary shortfall of approximately $11.1 billion. [6] This shortfall, which has accumulated over the years, has arisen from a backlog of unfunded operations, construction projects, land acquisitions, and resource protection projects.

Of course they did…….. makes perfect since………

The National Park Service presently has a cumulative monetary shortfall of approximately $11.1 billion. [6] This shortfall, which has accumulated over the years, has arisen from a backlog of unfunded operations, construction projects, land acquisitions, and resource protection projects.

We have a National Guard Armory here and for some unknown reason there is an old Forest Service fire fighting truck parked behind their fence. It looks to be from back in the 1940's. It's been sitting there for as long as I remember. A few people have tried to buy it but the FS says it's not for sale. I'll take a photo of it the next time I go by there and post it. It would be a pretty cool project to restore.

We have a National Guard Armory here and for some unknown reason there is an old Forest Service fire fighting truck parked behind their fence. It looks to be from back in the 1940's. It's been sitting there for as long as I remember. A few people have tried to buy it but the FS says it's not for sale. I'll take a photo of it the next time I go by there and post it. It would be a pretty cool project to restore.
I’m not a vehicle aficionado so I’ve never appreciated the old classics like they deserve. In another life, I had to sell local surplus government vehicles. I sold a “large vehicle wrecker”, one that looked a lot like this one, except it was battleship gray. It was it great original condition and I’ve kicked myself for years for not buying it. Everything still worked on it. I think I had one bidder and if I recall correctly, the bid was $1,400.00. The new owner took months to come and get it. I threatened him once a week, to come pick it up or I was going to resell it. He finally showed up and drove it all the way back to somewhere in California.

I’m an idiot!!!

0CE99189-CD7E-47C7-81C1-DD088FA62680.jpeg

I’m not a vehicle aficionado so I’ve never appreciated the old classics like they deserve. In another life, I had to sell local surplus government vehicles. I sold a “large vehicle wrecker”, one that looked a lot like this one, except it was battleship gray. It was it great original condition and I’ve kicked myself for years for not buying it. Everything still worked on it. I think I had one bidder and if I recall correctly, the bid was $1,400.00. The new owner took months to come and get it. I threatened him once a week, to come pick it up or I was going to resell it. He finally showed up and drove it all the way back to somewhere in California.

I’m an idiot!!!

View attachment 77366
Oh, my. That is a beast.

When I worked in the woods, the fallers left the biggest trees for last to make a nice open spot so they could save the tree from breaking when it fell. They would even take a dozer and level the ground out if they could. So, you'd have this big tree standing alone and as it started to fall, the flying squirrels would abandon ship and go sailing out across the canyon to a safer place. I found a baby squirrel one time and took it home and my wife raised it for awhile.

I found a Merganser nest one time and took the eggs to a guy who had chickens and he hatched them and eventually released them at the duck pond at the zoo. I'm not a complete ahole.

When I worked in the woods, the fallers left the biggest trees for last to make a nice open spot so they could save the tree from breaking when it fell. They would even take a dozer and level the ground out if they could. So, you'd have this big tree standing alone and as it started to fall, the flying squirrels would abandon ship and go sailing out across the canyon to a safer place. I found a baby squirrel one time and took it home and my wife raised it for awhile.

I found a Merganser nest one time and took the eggs to a guy who had chickens and he hatched them and eventually released them at the duck pond at the zoo. I'm not a complete ahole.
Poor chickens……. no wonder the human race is getting syntax errors in our delivery rooms every day. It all goes back to you bleeding heart do gooders.

Here's the photos of that old Forest Service truck parked at the National Guard Armory here. They have a bunch of stuff parked around it so it's hard to spot. It was pretty cherry 30 years ago. I don't know what year it is, but I know it has to be historic as that has to be about the last year the Forest Service actually put forest fires out.

P1010368.JPG
P1010370.JPG
P1010369.JPG

Dodge made the M37 for several years. Great truck, slow as a box of rocks. This has the front end look of an M37.
I wonder if this truck started out as a military vehicle and was "loaned" to the forest service at some point and that's why it's where it is, on national guard property. Who knows. I just thought what a waste.

I wonder if this truck started out as a military vehicle and was "loaned" to the forest service at some point and that's why it's where it is, on national guard property. Who knows. I just thought what a waste.
Kinda like the stuff in my shop…….. maybe I’ll use it one of these days…….an then I forget it’s back in there somewhere.

Looks like another griz attacked a human above Meetetsee

#killthegriz
#hurtSS!feelings

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom