Another day, no grizzly fatalities

A happy ending for both sides!
Pretty sure both are unhappy. The bear didn't like the taste of the dude, so it was back to licking moths at the foot of receding snowbanks. The dude got airlifted to a hospital- so unless his life ambition was to take a bloody helicopter ride, probably not his best day. Sad, sooooo sad...

Pretty sure both are unhappy. The bear didn't like the taste of the dude, so it was back to licking moths at the foot of receding snowbanks. The dude got airlifted to a hospital- so unless his life ambition was to take a bloody helicopter ride, probably not his best day. Sad, sooooo sad...
He’s alive. That’s something to be happy about

Alive for now- hope the best for him...

I was unaware of the total human carnage in the region until I read this article. 8 humans killed with around 700 grizzly population. That's 100X worse than walking the streets of Chicago:(

When in Wyo high country, I'll be sure to carry a bigger gun from now on...

MEETEETSE, Wyo. (AP) — A distress signal initially thought to be from a crashed aircraft led searchers to a backpacker who'd been mauled by a grizzly bear in a remote Wyoming wilderness, according to sheriff's officials.

No plane or helicopter had crashed but a crew preparing to search the Francs Peak area on Monday learned the signal received by the U.S. Air Force Rescue Coordination Center was from a personal locator beacon, the Park County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Tuesday.

The 68-year-old Buffalo, New York, man on a multi-day backpacking trip had activated the device after being severely mauled by the grizzly.

A helicopter team found the man and flew him to another helicopter at rendezvous point. That helicopter flew him to a hospital in Billings, Montana.

Sheriff's and Wyoming Game and Fish Department officials have not disclosed the man's name or medical condition.

The man had bear spray but the bear surprised him and he didn't have time to use it, the sheriff's statement said.

The area around Francs Peak, a 13,000-foot (4,000-meter) summit in the Washakie Wilderness southeast of Yellowstone National Park, is known grizzly habitat.

The Yellowstone region spanning portions of Montana, Wyoming and Idaho is home to more than 700 grizzly bears. Grizzlies in that area have killed at least eight people since 2010.

Alive for now- hope the best for him...

I was unaware of the total human carnage in the region until I read this article. 8 humans killed with around 700 grizzly population. That's 100X worse than walking the streets of Chicago:(

When in Wyo high country, I'll be sure to carry a bigger gun from now on...

MEETEETSE, Wyo. (AP) — A distress signal initially thought to be from a crashed aircraft led searchers to a backpacker who'd been mauled by a grizzly bear in a remote Wyoming wilderness, according to sheriff's officials.

No plane or helicopter had crashed but a crew preparing to search the Francs Peak area on Monday learned the signal received by the U.S. Air Force Rescue Coordination Center was from a personal locator beacon, the Park County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Tuesday.

The 68-year-old Buffalo, New York, man on a multi-day backpacking trip had activated the device after being severely mauled by the grizzly.

A helicopter team found the man and flew him to another helicopter at rendezvous point. That helicopter flew him to a hospital in Billings, Montana.

Sheriff's and Wyoming Game and Fish Department officials have not disclosed the man's name or medical condition.

The man had bear spray but the bear surprised him and he didn't have time to use it, the sheriff's statement said.

The area around Francs Peak, a 13,000-foot (4,000-meter) summit in the Washakie Wilderness southeast of Yellowstone National Park, is known grizzly habitat.

The Yellowstone region spanning portions of Montana, Wyoming and Idaho is home to more than 700 grizzly bears. Grizzlies in that area have killed at least eight people since 2010.
Carnage? 8 people is nothing compared to the millions of people that recreated in the area.

Carnage? Hahahahaha

So little regard for human life. Sigh...
8 people is worth the price for wilderness. Even more.

You have a way higher percentage of dying in a car accident. Maybe you should ride a bike. Oh wait there’s more bike fatalities than grizzly. You should walk. Oh wait more people die from heart attacks. Maybe you should just stay home.

700 bears is a low number. Last I saw it was well over a count of 1000
SS! Needs to get his Outfitter’s License transferred…………. Just sayin, he likes kill’en griz. Keeps the wolf away…. so to speak.

Just funning ya SS!, don’t burn my house down… kay???

We don’t have a bear problem we have a people problem.

We have guys like Tikka with two chins and there’s millions of people out there that can’t even afford one chin.

There’s just too many people and not enough wild places.

We don’t have a bear problem we have a people problem.

We have guys like Tikka with two chins and there’s millions of people out there that can’t even afford one chin.

There’s just too many people and not enough wild places.
I’ve got an extra I’ll share with ya SS!…….. I keep it behind a white beard, if you come while I’m out.

Ramping up!!

71BAAC41-226B-4350-B671-694889D70F54.jpeg

HAHAHA! Alaska is turning Blue...

4 bears killed in Alaska campground reserved for homeless​

HAHAHA! Alaska is turning Blue...

4 bears killed in Alaska campground reserved for homeless​

?????

Took the family to Alaska about 8 years ago. Spent 2 weeks driving a motor home around and camping. Saw Denali, fished for salmon & trout, hiked, fished for halibut. Anchorage has a nice fish hatchery we visited. Don’t remember ever seeing a homeless person. Is this something new? Saw the usual hippie types, but not what I would call homeless.

Took the family to Alaska about 8 years ago. Spent 2 weeks driving a motor home around and camping. Saw Denali, fished for salmon & trout, hiked, fished for halibut. Anchorage has a nice fish hatchery we visited. Don’t remember ever seeing a homeless person. Is this something new? Saw the usual hippie types, but not what I would call homeless.
It wasn’t too bad 8 years ago but it’s out of control now. Lots of factors at play and a difficult problem to address.

You would think our long ass winters would weed them out but nope, they are out there year round.

Sounds like he may give up his quest to hike every 13000 foot peak in Wyoming. Hope he gets better and finishes that off- nice accomplishment!

He did things right. He met the 25th bear and survived. An old sourdough from Alaska said the first 24 you meet will avoid you.

One of the cruelest things you can do to a bear is place him around people. You're not a bear lover at all if you do. It's also one of the stupidest things you can do.

Poor 399 Offspring. (I really do mean that BTW). Those wonderfully enlightened progressive thinkers in Jackson turned mama into a celeb, which certainly habituated her to humans, and her cubs in turn. Then that cub got kicked to the curb and went to Sublette county where the resident rubes really don't take kindly to bears sitting on their porches. Oops- not such a celebrity in that area. Something must change:

The enlightened now want the entire county of Sublette to keep their trash indoors, their dogs indoors, no more elk hanging from rafters in the garage for processing, whatever. Moreover, there are too many humans in the rightful Land of Grizzlies. To be frank, those folks are mostly evil despicables with no right to even be there in the first place. (I was educated to all this by the intellectually stimulating deductions in the articles on the subject and the even classier comments that followed).

I'm Grizzly-woke now. Ahh, I feel better getting that off my chest...

Saw 3 grizzlies at work this week, sow and 2 cubs.

Interestingly enough they weren't trying to maul anyone, just eating dandelions.

Would be great to get a season on them here soon. Get rid of some of the mature boars so the population can expand more.

Lots of great grizzly habitat out there not being used.

Saw 3 grizzlies at work this week, sow and 2 cubs.

Interestingly enough they weren't trying to maul anyone, just eating dandelions.

Would be great to get a season on them here soon. Get rid of some of the mature boars so the population can expand more.

Lots of great grizzly habitat out there not being used.
They weren’t eating cheatgrass? Strange.

Grizzlies and wolves deserve their place in the wilderness for sure. The majority of them do not bother humans. But those that do, need to go. One of the articles stated that bear had 13 documented conflicts. Not one, not two, but 13. In what, one year, two? Not good...
If humans were half as smart as they claim to be, there wouldn't have been one conflict.

Leaving horse feed, bird seed, garbage, etc. all over the place in bear country because they're lazy and have the IQ of a turnip, is why this happens.

I live right next to it and I avoid that damn place

I can proudly say I've never been to Yellowstone Park, or any other National Park for that matter.

I don’t believe you’ve ever lacked a minute of adventure eel but there are some vistas that I believe you’d enjoy. However……. even small crowds make them a challenge to enjoy.

I came to Eureka to see the Redwood NP but it was closed for a bicycle race…….?

I don’t believe you’ve ever lacked a minute of adventure eel but there are some vistas that I believe you’d enjoy. However……. even small crowds make them a challenge to enjoy.

I came to Eureka to see the Redwood NP but it was closed for a bicycle race…….?
I'd feel better about National Parks if we could hunt them like they do in Alaska. Our daughter worked one summer at Old Faithful Inn. It was the year before the big fire. The best summer of her life, she says.

I was pretty active against Redwood NP when it was formed. I even got up and made a speech at the public hearings. The government bought the land from Louisiana Pacific in 1968. A good friend of mine got laid off and he couldn't deal with the change and turned to drinking, lost his wife and kids. No excuse, I know that, but it left a bitter feeling inside and I swore I'd never go there. You can't even go there and pick up elk sheds. There are a ton of city, county, and state parks full of old growth Redwood to visit. I thought it was a waste of valuable timber producing land.

I'd feel better about National Parks if we could hunt them like they do in Alaska. Our daughter worked one summer at Old Faithful Inn. It was the year before the big fire. The best summer of her life, she says.

I was pretty active against Redwood NP when it was formed. I even got up and made a speech at the public hearings. The government bought the land from Louisiana Pacific in 1968. A good friend of mine got laid off and he couldn't deal with the change and turned to drinking, lost his wife and kids. No excuse, I know that, but it left a bitter feeling inside and I swore I'd never go there. You can't even go there and pick up elk sheds. There are a ton of city, county, and state parks full of old growth Redwood to visit. I thought it was a waste of valuable timber producing land.
Totally understand eel. My biggest frustration with NP and I’m surround by them here, is they take the most beautiful places, designate them as NP and immediately love the beauty out of them. Just like we do with beautiful women.

What I gathered from this is there’s some elk sheds prime for the taking!!!

I STILL am suprised at the amount of friggin' stupid-arse people who eff with wildlife even after hearing countless stories, ignore a million signs and even see video of the negative consequences. Oy vey! And I'm not even Jewish!

But Snoop- they are so cute! And the park people wouldn't put those critters there if they were dangerous, would they? Besides, cell phones take better pictures from 20 feet.
Ya know, ya got me there! :LOL:

This will look sooooo kewl on the 'Gram or whatever the eff social app they have.

Darn it, another troublemaker!!!

I think this is an update from last year's fatal attack of the nurse from Chico. Sad story, but there were instances to change this outcome, including having food in her tent initially.

The only good bear is a dead bear. All they do is meander through the woods God created for us to enjoy outdoor activities in. Seriously, I question God putting 2 bears on that boat a while ago.

The only good bear is a dead bear. All they do is meander through the woods God created for us to enjoy outdoor activities in. Seriously, I question God putting 2 bears on that boat a while ago.
Well if that happened today the odds of him getting a breeding pair would be about 1 in 5. ???

Come On Eel & nfh!

It's Kinda Like Being In China/And Other Countries!
When I was a pup, Northern National Park stores were still filled with authentic Native American clothing, weapons, and tools. Including the stores in Yellowstone but no more. Supplies dried up and their buyers fund it nearly impossible to buy those products today.

The smell of smoked tan moose, deer and elk hide has permeated my olfactory memory and it will stay with me forever.

A priceless treasure lost to modern times, to be sure.

We had a woman cook on a guided hunt in Idaho. She wasn't much of a looker. That was the time I got lost in a snowstorm and didn't get back to camp until midnight. She had a hot meal ready for me though. I tipped her well.

Last edited:
@SS! Wyoming has 21 dead grizzlies this year. Can we get to 50?
Sounds like putting the fear of man in them isn’t working. 21 dead? That’s more than what the quota would be if we hunted them!

This data needs to be shared to keep the bear’s protected!

Sounds like putting the fear of man in them isn’t working. 21 dead? That’s more than what the quota would be if we hunted them!

There is some good news. They have relocated a bunch this year. I lost count. Seems to be a 1 or 2 a week or none. Kinda fluctuates.

I hope someday to hunt griz here. I would definitely try with the compound. My biggest fear would how the horses would react packing out a bear. My mare hates the smell of bear.

I hope one day wyoming has a grizzly season! It would be quite the success story!

How is sharing data going to protect the bears from other bears (that's four) or from natural cause (one more) and Undetermined, generally is natural caused (add two).
Data is that going to stop bears from interaction with humans(five dead)
Maybe data could protect the bear that was on it's last leg (one gone)
That brings us to still under investigation, data what data can you have on still under investigation (eight no more)

How is sharing data going to protect the bears from other bears (that's four) or from natural cause (one more) and Undetermined, generally is natural caused (add two).
Data is that going to stop bears from interaction with humans(five dead)
Maybe data could protect the bear that was on it's last leg (one gone)
That brings us to still under investigation, data what data can you have on still under investigation (eight no more)
I drink when I post too. ? ? ?

Attention @SS! The latest report is out.

28 grizzlies dead so far this year. How it went up in 7 in one week is odd but I assume some investigations are now closed.

Getting closer to that 50 mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom