Another elk score thread

wweaver79

Help me out on this one. Right side is awesome left side is good also. Scouting for my cousin, I like him, what you guys think. Thanks
F4153B65-D48E-446E-B0DA-921E579D569C.jpeg
5CEC956D-148C-4B3B-8A2D-F42705BB7A67.jpeg
74A0EEBC-0B63-4ADC-9495-33EF93F5D958.jpeg

Beams look short, which make everything else look bigger.

I think he’s closer to 300 than he is 350. My initial thought was about 315-320, but I’ll admit I’m not great at this. He’s a good looking bull, regardless of score. I like him too!

Looks like a screwy extra just below the left sword? hard to see but if so, I’d guess him 330-340 gross

I can’t decide if he’s got an extra on the left side. If he’s a 7x6 easy decision, if he’s a straight 6 my guess would be north of 330. I love short framed bulls tho and would be hard pressed not to be pleasantly surprised walking up on this one

I’m pretty sure of it Berry. Looks like the main beam has a kink just below the sword with about a 13” extra.

I’m pretty sure of it Berry. Looks like the main beam has a kink just below the sword with about a 13” extra.
Both of the 3rds are high set, coming off just below the 4 and webbing it up a bit each side is the same. If there’s an extra it’s the one above what might be the 2. Dunno if that makes sense

I think you’re right. High thirds. In the last pic, the tine you circled looks like a third but the other two pictures it looks like the second.

I originally thought he had that long extra, but settled in my mind he’s a 6x6. Tough call from the pics. Either way, that character is awesome and he’s a cool bull.

Good looking bull - short beams, decent tine length, not great mass. I think he is right in the 320-325" range.

Yes!!....I am stoked not to score this bull but to know right off the bat that I am correct when I said to myself he has short main beams. His 5th on the left a a bit short. I haven't been on many elk hunts and consider myself a novice. I am getting better though. LOL.
That being said, I would have a hard time passing on this bull if I was holding any tag other than an LE tag. I think he looks really cool.

That being said, I would have a hard time passing on this bull if I was holding any tag other than an LE tag. I think he looks really cool.

I would kill this bull without hesitation on most of the LE tags as well. There are a few that I may be a little more reserved in when I pull the trigger, but that bull is a really cool bull, no matter his score.

Ok....I'd hammer that bull. His fronts and 3rds are pretty good.....very good looking bull. Your cousin should kill him.

And I agree with what was said previously about his 3rd ont he left being pretty far up on the beam. Gives character....

With fronts like that you can take pictures that will make him 370". It's all fro the Gram!! lol

All kidding aside, I think he's probably in that 340" range. I would break a trigger on that bull without blinking!!

What a beautiful bull. Im on board with many here. Thinking 340 class bull. He might surprise all of us scoring north of that number.

I was putting him as a high 330s" to 340s" bull as well. You better go drop the hammer on him before he gives you the slip.

Just a guess...

160 - 165 inches of total tine length
90 inches worth of beams
50 inches of mass
35 inches wide.

335" - 340"

Those new pics give a great perspective to the front end, and I’m guessing that bull is 335-340 ish now.

Still short beams.

How far did he go before going down. the grass wouldn,t hide a grasshopper. LOL
Please give a score when you get done with the meat packing.
Great looking Bull

Great bull!! I have been told to my face you can’t kill bull elk in open country with archery tackle. IDFG fish cops…. It can be done.
Way to find him and kill him?

I have waited to post on this thread. And it appears I waited to long as he is dead.

But congrats on a great bull. You would have regretted passing him.

We got it done, found him about two miles away from three days ago. Cousin about heat stroked out but made the shot at 2pm. Had a great time. Lots of things came together, his first archery bull.

Regardless of the number, that is a great bull. Score is just a number. Success is never determined in inches. Sounds like you have quite the story, I hope you’ll share it all.

Congrats!

Congrats, You got her done . Nice job on a nice Bull with character. Waiting to see the score . When You get old like me It does Matter. lot of other things in life don't. LOL.......................BULL!

Looks like a Wyoming desert bull. Great tine length but short beams. My guess is 330.

Above that - good job on getting it done. So tough to find a bull in the desert and then get it done with a bow. I have tried and failed. So my hat is off to you.

Going to have to wait on a score. Yes beams are a little under 50 49 and 47ish Royals right at 20 and the fifth on right side was 14, which is amazing. Will update when my cousin gets it back home. I blew out and headed to NM for my archery elk tag that started yesterday also, drove through the night. Trip has been a burner for sure. Good luck out there everyone.

Congrats on getting him down. Like Berry says, Following the center line curve with a cable will probably add length.
That’s a great bull, I believe he’ll exceed my guess with a few to spare.

This bull is real similar, 45/46” mains respectively. I know what he scores, any guesses?

With the newer pics I’m firmly in camp shoot it and shoot it now

View attachment 85672
Even with 46” beams and. 35.5” spread this bull still hit 360”. 60” of mass, and every tine from 1-4 was 18” plus. Weavers compadre’s got himself quite a bull there.

Ok my cousin got back to me and I Have service for a minute. Been out humping in this heat in NM for elk. Let’s say it is not going as well as it was last week. Got a bull to answer, once last night and again this am. Just once that’s it. They are not interested in anything other than shade apparently.

Gross 349 7/8
55 7/8 mass
And main beams, well do not use me or a big metal tape measure. He did not text tine length but that is where the inches added up. Most of you were spot on with the short beams.
Left 41 4/8
Right 45 2/8

That is a nice bull! I'm surprised by some of the low-ball guestimates. I would say 340-350. Shoot him and we will find out for sure!

Hawkeye

Haha. That’s what I get for skipping over half the the posts in this thread. ?. I could not believe some of the 320” guestimates in the early posts. Congrats to the lucky hunter on a great bull!

Hawkeye

Last edited:
Haha. That’s what I get for skipping over half the the posts in this thread. ?. I could not believe some of the 320” guestimates in the early posts. Congrats to the lucky hunter on a great bull!

Hawkeye
The first 2 Pictures didn't do it justice. Short Beams Fooled Me . I have 2 330 Bulls with 52-53 inch mains. Hope to pass on some like the Bull here on My Az. Rifle Rut hunt in 2+ weeks .Will let all know if a big Bull happens . At 66 thats all I want. and 7 days to do it. Great bull To the Guy that Killed this one . For most hunts thats a once in a lifetime Bull!......................................BULL!

Didn’t see weaver posted that, though he was too busy with his NM archery hunt. I had a bad inside spread measurement. Measured at the fourths but was wider at the above.

No explanation necessary. Any good story gets better with time.

Speaking of which...when do we get to hear the story on this one!?!?

Didn’t see weaver posted that, though he was too busy with his NM archery hunt. I had a bad inside spread measurement. Measured at the fourths but was wider at the above.
I got bored, middle of the day sucks, it is hot and elk are quiet. What else is there to do, go ahead and do a short story on it. Do not leave out stepping off with and I quote “bottle and half of water” when it was going to be 90 that day. I screwed up on a big bull last night by the way, should have been more aggressive. Let a cow bust me by taking to much time messing around.

I was thinking 345 - 355. I was shocked to hear the beams were 41ish. I was thinking 46-48. I've never shot a bull with beams that short and just figured all of them went 46 easily.

I woulda shot that bull without a doubt. I've killed 380 bulls that I would have let walk if that guy were standing next to them.

Congrats to the hunter.

Im headed to NM next week as well to start my yearly guiding ritual for the gila monsters. I kinda lost my desire to kill bulls but for some reason guiding has brought back all the old thrills. Hopefully this is my new fix for the next 10 years. It just feels good to be excited about elk hunting again. Trail cams and scouting turned up severak 350++ bulls so to say Im excited to get back out there is an understatement.

I just barely clicked this post open, I got 360 on the nose, but had given him 47" beams. I was gonna say 350+ as my guess.

hell of a bull great job.

I was thinking 345 - 355. I was shocked to hear the beams were 41ish. I was thinking 46-48. I've never shot a bull with beams that short and just figured all of them went 46 easily.

I woulda shot that bull without a doubt. I've killed 380 bulls that I would have let walk if that guy were standing next to them.

Congrats to the hunter.

Im headed to NM next week as well to start my yearly guiding ritual for the gila monsters. I kinda lost my desire to kill bulls but for some reason guiding has brought back all the old thrills. Hopefully this is my new fix for the next 10 years. It just feels good to be excited about elk hunting again. Trail cams and scouting turned up severak 350++ bulls so to say Im excited to get back out there is an understatement.

No stomper.. you’re full of ****?? Let’s see the 380 bulls “you have killed”?

Congrats to the hunter.

STOMPER.. you have killed 380 bulls? That you would pass on because of the OP’s bull?
Why? 30 inches of mass? Crazy droptine?

Pictures please.

Shout out to Wweaver79 for taking time out of his hunt to help me out on this hunt. He was heading from SE Idaho to NM and got there two days before I did and found this bull while I was still traveling. Then he stayed 2 more days until the meat was in the cooler before he left for NM. Not many people would be late for their own hunt to do this. Thanks again Weaver!

Thanks for the shout out Mike. Jon and had it easy in the shade all day with the spotter watching you try to figure out how to get it done with almost no cover. That is the best time being out though really covering new ground just looking around no schedule looking at animals, camping wherever you end up. Doing a little fishing while your at it. Those out of the way places always have great fishing. Then you have the pressure to get it done and you can get wrapped up in that to much.
It is winter you have a minute, I know your busy trying to catch a cat though. Throw up a few paragraphs, no water, taking your boots off etc......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom