Another Grizzly Attack - Idaho This Morning

Sounds like there is a population problem with grizz.

What else did anyone expect would happen when you live where they live...

Yep going to continue to happen too!
seems like more people are in the woods from covid they don’t respect the bears space or don’t be aware of them

Ever wonder whether bears have a taxidermist that does human mounts for them to hang on the den walls? Unfortunately, even if they did, they don't get to live long enough to enjoy them. :rolleyes:

"I did call up the Fish and Game services and asked if they were planning on doing anything to the bear," Whitney said. "Luckily, they don't plan on trapping it or putting it down, which really makes me happy. … I was there on its territory."

If that was one or more of his three daughter or his wife.....?

I have a different take on who's territory it is, God gave mankind dominion over the critters.....therefore its my territory but am to be wise in managing the woods and critters. I've said it before and I'll restate it here today. Our forefathers had it right , tightly regulate the predators that can kill us and the things we love to eat like deer/elk/ antelope. It is not complicated. Before i get blasted i said Tightly regulate (not exterminate) for you SS! and other tree hugging libs out there .

Sorry but the big city type have no place away from the concrete jungles they choose to live in. The whole east coast is one big city.

If you think there are conflicts when too many people try to live next to each other......... hid and watch what happens when too many people and large predators live next to each other.

But....... of course we’re smarter than the last bunch of people that chose to move in next to the grizzlies, some 175 years ago.

“Ya right. It’s different now.”

Have people changed? Nope.

Have grizzlies changed? Nope.

Yup. Grizzlies just do what grizzlies always do...... the unmentioned rest of the story is, humans will a always do what humans do........

Imagine that, or have I missed something somewhere.

We all know how this ends..... you and I ain’t goin back to Denmark. There’s gonna be more of us human down at the post office tomorrow and everyday in the forseable future. The grizzly will eventually exceed its habitat’s carrying capacity.

Don’t know where the breaking point is but there is one and it’s coming.......

Thaw out a rattlesnake........... he’ll still bite you. And....... when he does, you’ll kill him, and next time you’ll just kill him before you thaw him out.

I have a different take on who's territory it is, God gave mankind dominion over the critters.....therefore its my territory but am to be wise in managing the woods and critters. I've said it before and I'll restate it here today. Our forefathers had it right , tightly regulate the predators that can kill us and the things we love to eat like deer/elk/ antelope. It is not complicated. Before i get blasted i said Tightly regulate (not exterminate) for you SS! and other tree hugging libs out there .
You lost me at God. Noah had a chance to end this but he didn’t. I can’t take any god talk serious.

If you think there are conflicts when too many people try to live next to each other......... hid and watch what happens when too many people and large predators live next to each other.

But....... of course we’re smarter than the last bunch of people that chose to move in next to the grizzlies, some 175 years ago.

“Ya right. It’s different now.”

Have people changed? Nope.

Have grizzlies changed? Nope.

Yup. Grizzlies just do what grizzlies always do...... the unmentioned rest of the story is, humans will a always do what humans do........

Imagine that, or have I missed something somewhere.

We all know how this ends..... you and I ain’t goin back to Denmark. There’s gonna be more of us human down at the post office tomorrow and everyday in the forseable future. The grizzly will eventually exceed its habitat’s carrying capacity.

Don’t know where the breaking point is but there is one and it’s coming.......

Thaw out a rattlesnake........... he’ll still bite you. And....... when he does, you’ll kill him, and next time you’ll just kill him before you thaw him out.
That’s some serious word vomit. A few bear attacks and now this. Ok Karen.

Yup.....vomit’s a pretty accurate description. Karen, you say..... I have to get back to you on that. It takes me a little longer to process terms these days. You young free thinkers keep adding new definitions to old words.

Have a great Sunday, nothing too scary is likely to happen at your post office today.

These encounters are much more common than they were 20 years ago. There are a bunch of cabins in the Island Park area. These encounters are just going to become more and more common with the increasing grizzly population in the Island Park area.

These encounters are much more common than they were 20 years ago. There are a bunch of cabins in the Island Park area. These encounters are just going to become more and more common with the increasing grizzly population in the Island Park area.
Meh.

Bear attacks make great news, that’s all. They are so rare every one makes it on the front page. With how many people are out there every day bears are a non issue.

Meh.

Bear attacks make great news, that’s all. They are so rare every one makes it on the front page. With how many people are out there every day bears are a non issue.

They are more common than they were 20-30 years ago. There were not many grizzlies in the Island park area back then.

I say it all the time. Billing Montana has more violent crime on any given weekend then there are bear attacks across the entire west for a season. People just love to fear stuff. Bears make a great story but are statistically irrelevant. More morons fall and die/hurt themselves taking selfie’s at parks. Guess we better kill all the parks, and selfie sticks before they overpopulate and start killing more people.

They are more common than they were 20-30 years ago. There were not many grizzlies in the Island park area back then.
Maybe it’s just more accessible to get news for everywhere? 30 years ago you couldn’t pull out your phone and see everything going on everywhere.

Maybe it’s just more accessible to get news for everywhere? 30 years ago you couldn’t pull out your phone and see everything going on everywhere.
No, there are more resident grizzly bears in the Island Park area than there were 30 years ago. It is just a fact.
I agree, deer kill way more people every year than grizzly bears. I was put in a tree about 20 years ago by a moose in the stamp meadow area that this grizzly attack happened.

Karen, you say..... I have to get back to you on that. It takes me a little longer to process terms these days. You young free thinkers keep adding new definitions to old words.

I didn't know what "Karen" meant until someone older told me what it meant and how it applied

If you type in "Karen" into a search, a pic of MLG from New Mexico shows up.

I think it’s nice to know there is something out there that can kill a human. Island Park is flooded with people right now. Yellowstone is flooded with people right now, but a Bear and a Cub are supposed to behave to our standards. Most of the tourists up there don’t have a clue to animal behavior, it’s a giant Disney Land to them with friendly animals mixed in. Last year my daughter and I watched two China Men walk up to a Bull Buffalo, 10’ away and stop and take pictures. That Buffalo had them both on the ground in less than a second.

Couldn't agree more! I absolutely love grizzlies. I have spent countless hours studying them and searching for them. I have seen hundreds and hundreds in the wild. It never gets old, it is one of my favorite things in the world. They need to be managed/hunted for a myriad of reasons. For others good, and their own good.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more! I absolutely love grizzlies. I have spent countless hours studying them and searching for them. I have seen hundreds and hundreds in the wild. It never gets old, it is one of my favorite things in the world. They need to be managed/hunted for a myriad of reasons. For others good, and their own good.
???

Granted this is hear say, I'm not sure it's true. Those of you with actual knowledge please enlighten me to the facts of hunters stating that grizzlies have moved towards a gunshot during hunting season in hopes of an easy meal. Has this happened???? If so , then my thoughts about management of these dangerous critters is well founded.

Granted this is hear say, I'm not sure it's true. Those of you with actual knowledge please enlighten me to the facts of hunters stating that grizzlies have moved towards a gunshot during hunting season in hopes of an easy meal. Has this happened???? If so , then my thoughts about management of these dangerous critters is well founded.
???????? love the internet.

There are a few bears that are attracted to hunters to get an easy meal. Kodiak island and some rare incidents in Wyoming are the only ones I’m aware of. Maybe it has happened in Montana and Idaho and I just haven’t heard about it. There have been many grizzlies living in the Island Park for the last couple decades. Most of the grizzlies in the island park want nothing to do with people and do an excellent job of avoiding people. I’m only aware of 3 grizzly attacks in the island park area in the last decade and that is with millions of recreation hours on forest service land in that area. You are much more likely to get injured in an automobile accident in the island park area than hurt by a bear.

Maybe instead of them coming in to a rifle shot it’s when you cut into the animal? The smell of blood guts and fear from sissies afraid of bears? Gunshots ? Laughing! Watch out if you go target shooting. A sloth of bears will come in!

Let's say a bear does come running toward the rifle shot. Does the bear then stalk the hunter until the hunter finds the down animal?

How would the bear know the direction and distance from the shot, to the downed animal?

Seems like an urban legend lol

Let's say a bear does come running toward the rifle shot. Does the bear then stalk the hunter until the hunter finds the down animal?

How would the bear know the direction and distance from the shot, to the downed animal?

Seems like an urban legend lol
The bears also know whether it’s a hit or a miss!

Grizzly attacks are kinda like lightning strikes, great white shark bites, and train wrecks. Only matters to you, if you're the only one getting hit!! Don't want to get hit by a train; don't walk on the tracks!!!

BrianID: there were at least 3 reported attacks just last year, and this one this year. The one bear found dead last year, with a rifle bullet and nobody bothered to claim that event. Just wait until archery elk season, and we will hear of a couple more, I'm sure. Horseback hunters deal with them daily, in the Targhee Creek area every year.

There are plenty of bears there (friends have a cabin in the Meadow Creek area, and deal with them at least monthly!), they are not afraid of you at all, and you just need to be real careful if you are playing in their backyard. 'Nuff said??

BINGO! Sad that the wolf loving libtards of Colorado's eastern slope don't understand this.

Grizzly attacks are kinda like lightning strikes, great white shark bites, and train wrecks. Only matters to you, if you're the only one getting hit!! Don't want to get hit by a train; don't walk on the tracks!!!

BrianID: there were at least 3 reported attacks just last year, and this one this year. The one bear found dead last year, with a rifle bullet and nobody bothered to claim that event. Just wait until archery elk season, and we will hear of a couple more, I'm sure. Horseback hunters deal with them daily, in the Targhee Creek area every year.

There are plenty of bears there (friends have a cabin in the Meadow Creek area, and deal with them at least monthly!), they are not afraid of you at all, and you just need to be real careful if you are playing in their backyard. 'Nuff said??

I’m sure there are a few other SSS grizzly incidents that we never hear about. The one attack close to the state park at Henry’s lake last year was a surprise to me. I wouldn’t expect to see a grizzly in the low county close to Henry’s Lake with all the people around. Targee creek had frequent grizzly encounters 20 years ago, now they are found more frequently in the low county close to cabins. It is long past time to start hunting them in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

With as many grizzlies living in the Island Park area, I’m surprised there are not more issues. There are so many Cabins with garbage smells and many people in that forest every summer and fall.

Maybe instead of them coming in to a rifle shot it’s when you cut into the animal? The smell of blood guts and fear from sissies afraid of bears? Gunshots ? Laughing! Watch out if you go target shooting. A sloth of bears will come in!
I think you are right that the smell attracts the bears, not the rifle shot. I wouldn’t expect any of the bears in the Island Park area to be attracted to a rifle shot but the smell of a fresh gut pile would get their attention.

I’ve heard reports of grizzlies being attracted to rifle shots on Kodiak Island. If they get an easy meal after hearing a rifle shot I could see how bears could get attracted to a rifle shot. Just like Pavlov’s dog and the bell.

Totally agree, there are a LOT of people in that area! The furthest south I have run into grizzly bears is down around Hatchery Ford. I'm sure they go back and forth across the highway to Harriman and High Point, but not as much as up above. One of the best things they did was close the Park boundary road from Big Springs around to Chick Creek, as that limits encounters I'm sure. My friends from Montana bow hunt in the Beaver Creek area, and across Hebgen Lake and they all hunt in pairs, with bear spray AND pistols. They have some amazing encounter stories!!

It seems to me I read an article years back called "Dinner Bell Bears". Anyone remember what rag that story was in? My brother guided out of Coty for 12-13 years. Many bear encounters. One guide was attacked (while dressing a bull) and the Sow was run off by the client. Bear was then killed by the guide. Upon returning, the F&G officer investigating found that the cubs had consumed the mother? Mom, its what's for dinner! Dogs and human activity in camp did not always stop bears from approaching the meat pole. His clients lost meat on several occasions, when they could not recover a cache quickly. Outfitter was required to back-fill the outhouse hole (wilderness rules), only to find when they returned the next year that the bears had dug up the crap (to eat). Yuck! **** eating grins maybe? Sounds like they were desperate for food or near "carrying capacity". Being hunted until a quota is reached would put fear in the population, and ultimately train them to avoid hunters/humans. This fear might save them form a negative outcome when they are near humans or livestock.

LaGriz

A friend of mine has hunted deer on Kodiak at least a dozen times. He said every time he shot a deer, within 10 minutes a bear would show up. About 6 years ago he started shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor and since then the only bears he sees are running in the opposite direction as fast as they can run. Bears are dumb but not that dumb.

It seems to me I read an article years back called "Dinner Bell Bears". Anyone remember what rag that story was in? My brother guided out of Coty for 12-13 years. Many bear encounters. One guide was attacked (while dressing a bull) and the Sow was run off by the client. Bear was then killed by the guide. Upon returning, the F&G officer investigating found that the cubs had consumed the mother? Mom, its what's for dinner! Dogs and human activity in camp did not always stop bears from approaching the meat pole. His clients lost meat on several occasions, when they could not recover a cache quickly. Outfitter was required to back-fill the outhouse hole (wilderness rules), only to find when they returned the next year that the bears had dug up the crap (to eat). Yuck! **** eating grins maybe? Sounds like they were desperate for food or near "carrying capacity". Being hunted until a quota is reached would put fear in the population, and ultimately train them to avoid hunters/humans. This fear might save them form a negative outcome when they are near humans or livestock.

LaGriz
How would hunting them put fear in the population? If you shoot the bear and kill it how does the other bears know? Do you write an obituary and put it on the kill site? Do bears read english?

Bears are so used to coming into gunshots that if you shoot at one charging one it just runs faster at you because its so hungry!

Last edited:
My thinking is that many more animals survive being hunted. How many times have you heard people say, "once the season opened the game became scarce." We become a threat. If they associate danger with humans instead of food, will they avoid us when they see, hear, or smell us.

Moose in Maine are and example. When deer hunting, Moose are often unimpressed by my presents. They are sparsely hunted by only a few permit holders. I'm told by the locals that during Moose season they become much more warry. I think its true with all animals that get pursued. Black bears run from us as a rule. They have learned to do so for survival.

LaGriz

My thinking is that many more animals survive being hunted. How many times have you heard people say, "once the season opened the game became scarce." We become a threat. If they associate danger with humans instead of food, will they avoid us when they see, hear, or smell us.

Moose in Maine are and example. When deer hunting, Moose are often unimpressed by my presents. They are sparsely hunted by only a few permit holders. I'm told by the locals that during Moose season they become much more warry. I think its true with all animals that get pursued. Black bears run from us as a rule. They have learned to do so for survival.

LaGriz
How will they know they are being hunted? Pass out regulations before the season? How long of a notice does one give the bears? 3 months? 6 months? No notice? What’s ethical? Would no notice result in more bears killed? Is it fair to shoot a bear that didnt know there was a season?

Your moose comparison makes no sense and is more due to time of year than hunting season.

Interesting your thoughts on why black bears run off. There are more black bear attacks in the US than grizzly attacks. Did they not know there’s a season on them? FYI almost ALL bears run away BEFORE you see them. It’s not a race thing, black brown white they all avoid humans.

From the:
Word Vomit Gazette

Animal fear is an interesting study. It seems for every theory here is evidence that it’s wrong, in some cases. I suppose animals like humans, (imagine that) some run to danger, some run away. Some run away, sometimes, and some run to danger, sometimes. I would guess what will happen is not completely predictable. (again, imagine that) We’ve all had our personal experiences or heard about someone else’s, that has formed our beliefs. Then confirmation bias sets in and we argue we’re right, what’s more, we know we’re right. Me included.

It does seem, to me, however that as the number of humans increase and the number of predators increase, the raw number of negative encounters increase as well. The average per hundred may not change but the total number of negitive events do. So...... if there are 3 hunters in an area where there are 10 grizzlies, on average there will be x number of negitive encounters. If that changes and there are 6 hunters and 20 grizzlies, in the same square area, it stands to reason there will be more negitive counters. Because........ bears just do what bears do and humans do what humans do, and the fact of nature is they will intentionally or unintentionally give one another a butt whipping, on occasion. Therefore, as the number of humans increase and the number of grizzlies increase, there will be more conflicts.

In as much as the grizzly population was very very low in the lower 48 for many years and the human population has grown a great deal, now that management or mismanagement of the grizzly is allowing it to increase, it seems natural that there will be more encounters than there were prior to the numbers increasing. It also seems, as was done in the past, when the incidents of negitive encounters reaches a certain point, the humans will decide to remove the grizzlies again. Human can do that, grizzlies can’t. So....... it would seem prudent to me, if humans started to manage the grizzly population responsibly before some bureaucrat, who has the power to do it, decides they all need to die again, both groups will be better off.

Why does it have end up being an all or nothing solution.......

We’re communicating just fine, no need to get every letter or hyphen in the right place with me. I’m dyslexic, so I’m used to looking past the errors and omissions. I’m sure you’ve noticed.

Haha!

653F8F65-DDF2-4467-BE05-A26D054291D0.jpeg

But..but.. sometimes the errors are so humorous, it's hard to resist comment.

For example, just recently someone posted that a "...bear didn't like his presents," when what he meant was 'presence.' Could have possibly been a spell check typo, of course, so I resisted making a snarky comment. Otherwise, I would probably have typed something along the lines of, "Maybe try giving him something worth more than a crappy stuffed teddy bear & some honey."

Then there's the always funny, "I shot the deer in my pajamas," types of misplaced phrases.

Last edited:
Response to SS!

Are you introducing "CRT" into our conversation about hunting pressure and animals feeling a threat? I was indicating that black bears (being a completely different species) and having being hunted in many western states for years behave differently. Grizzly's in the lower 48 have little reason to fear being killed. You are correct that far more people are attacked by black bears. Their range and numbers are far greater and they often live near larger populations of people. Unlike the western states, many mid-west and eastern states don't allow bear seasons. What percentage of these attacks take place in those Locations? When attacked by a black bear it is usually over food. Someone either fed him in the past and is conditioned to that response. Or he is very hungry, stressed and thinks he can take you out and eat you.

The Moose analogy does hold water to the extent that they are hunted in October with far fewer folks in the woods and are reported to be more warry then. A much greater number of hunters roam the woods during November deer season where we bump into them and they show very little fear.

It works in reverse too. Calif. banned Mt. Lion hunting in the late 1980's. The number of Lion encounters and attacks has increased dramatically since then. As a generation or two of lions has passed, no adult cougar has lived through a hunting season being pursued by hounds or hunters.

Like any bear, a cougar with poor health, injured, old or unable to hunt, may give in to attacking pets and humans. Drought or other factors could play a role. They too live closer to larger populations of people then do most grizzly bears. The big bears are just more capable of doing damage then the average black bear, and are know to have a bad temper.

LaGriz

Response to SS!

Are you introducing "CRT" into our conversation about hunting pressure and animals feeling a threat? I was indicating that black bears (being a completely different species) and having being hunted in many western states for years behave differently. Grizzly's in the lower 48 have little reason to fear being killed. You are correct that far more people are attacked by black bears. Their range and numbers are far greater and they often live near larger populations of people. Unlike the western states, many mid-west and eastern states don't allow bear seasons. What percentage of these attacks take place in those Locations? When attacked by a black bear it is usually over food. Someone either fed him in the past and is conditioned to that response. Or he is very hungry, stressed and thinks he can take you out and eat you.

The Moose analogy does hold water to the extent that they are hunted in October with far fewer folks in the woods and are reported to be more warry then. A much greater number of hunters roam the woods during November deer season where we bump into them and they show very little fear.

It works in reverse too. Calif. banned Mt. Lion hunting in the late 1980's. The number of Lion encounters and attacks has increased dramatically since then. As a generation or two of lions has passed, no adult cougar has lived through a hunting season being pursued by hounds or hunters.

Like any bear, a cougar with poor health, injured, old or unable to hunt, may give in to attacking pets and humans. Drought or other factors could play a role. They too live closer to larger populations of people then do most grizzly bears. The big bears are just more capable of doing damage then the average black bear, and are know to have a bad temper.

LaGriz
Do you have any evidence black bears act differently since they are hunted? Because you provided nothing.

I doubt you’ve hunted moose much but if you think moose act the way they are due to hunters there is no hope for you as a moose hunter. And I’m not going to take the time to explain moose habits to you. But a quick synopsis is oct is rut and nov is post rut. NOTHING to do with amount of people in the woods.

no time to address rest of your gibberish

Last edited:
I saw that on another site, but the article sure is sketchy as to the circumstances of THIS specific incident. Very poor reporting, IMO.
Yes, I noticed that too.

For the record, I checked my owner's manual and there's nothing in there about scaring bears away with a car fire.

Island Park is a large area and has a very long boarder with Yellowstone. It is no surprise there are frequent grizzly encounters in that area.

Sad news is that bear that killed the lady by West Yellowstone also mauled a guy two years earlier. They could have prevented her death if that bear was put down back then. They did not even put it down after it killed her. They had to wait until it crawled into a home. Most of the grizzlies cause no problems but the problem bears should be put down on the 1st offense. Grizzlies are not endangered in the Greater Yellowstone area and would only have a population collapse if the Yellowstone volcano erupted.

In 2022 there were 48 grizzlies that died in the greater Yellowstone area. They still argue there are not enough bears for a limited hunting season.

Ever since people started worshiping the environment and the climate, human life has lost value.
Interesting observation. You’ve provoked me again, eel.

Stone Age civilizations, the Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians and other more or less worshipped the environment. They, in many pre modern civilizations, sacrificed human lives to the environment, including climate (sun, moon, wind, rain, fire, solar regularities, and irregularities.) Somewhere, along about 1,500 to 2,000 years ago, those civilizations gave way to civilizations that gave more value to human life. Significant advances in knowledge have taken place during that 1,500 to 2,000 period. The progressive movement, in spite of its claim of being forward looking and forward thinking has began to worship the environment and loath humans again. I’ve read articles that some of the environment elitist influencer (the Bill Gate types) want to reduce the world population by up to 3 billion humans.

Sounds like an another civilization change headed this way.

Circling back to small “tribes” killing each other over limited resources is the current “hope and change” ideology/religion.

Giddy Up. Not!

Ever since people started worshiping the environment and the climate, human life has lost value.
I would say it like this: We have mentally removed ourselves from the food chain.

Which I don’t agree with at all. Folks in the cities are under the impression that god put us down here in subdivisions with fences.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom