Another one of those, I've got 13 pts.....

fallguy

I just did all my CO apps except for deer. I'm sitting on 13 pts as a resident and am trying to make the best use of them. I'd like a crack at a 180ish buck and don't have an issue eating the tag. I've been applying for 44 3rd season for the past 5 years or so and always a point or two behind. Based on some of the reports from there, I'm glad I didn't draw on some of those years.

I'd like to use the points this year and if I don't draw, use them in 2021 for sure. Strategy-wise, I can apply for a good unit this year that I should draw for sure or I could roll the dice on a unit that took 13-14 last year and if I don't draw, try for a 10-12 point unit in 2021.

Some of the GMU/seasons that I'm contemplating are: 44, 3rd -- 54, 4th -- 55, 4th -- 66, 3rd -- 67, 4th.

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I was checking the 2019 drawl reports and it looks like you are still a few years behind 44/3 season.
You would probably be able to draw any of the other hunts you listed but from what I have heard I would avoid 54 and 55.
The decision for me would be between 66/3 and 67/4.

Flip a coin between 66/67 and go. If you had experience in any of the particular units I’d say to go that direction.... all of the units listed have and probably will continue to be damn tough hunts for those looking for something on the mature end of the spectrum.

I have messed around a fair bit in 66. It’s probably in my opinion the best looking mule deer habitat in around.

I’m rolling the dice for 66 3 rd this year &’hoping, but only have 11 points. Ugh there.
I think 66 or 67 it’s a toss up there. Never hunted or scouted either one, so will go a week/10 days early to recon IF I draw.
Good Luck ? to you drawing !!
Jerry Gold ?? Ft Collins, Colorado

I’m rolling the dice for 66 3 rd this year &’hoping, but only have 11 points. Ugh there.
I think 66 or 67 it’s a toss up there. Never hunted or scouted either one, so will go a week/10 days early to recon IF I draw.
Good Luck ? to you drawing !!
Jerry Gold ?? Ft Collins, Colorado

Good luck to you as well. After talking to 6 people "in the know" I've been advised by 3 to go 66 3rd and the other 3 say 67 4th. 'm still toggling back and forth between the two.

Good luck to you as well. After talking to 6 people "in the know" I've been advised by 3 to go 66 3rd and the other 3 say 67 4th. 'm still toggling back and forth between the two.
Here’s another factor to consider.
There will be a full moon at the beginning of third season this year.
Don’t know if that’s something you’re concerned about or not but just something to consider.

Had the 67 (3rd) tag last year, hunted hard but never turned up a trophy buck. Ton of fun with memories galore, ended up putting my tag on an old buck (27" 3x3) declining from his glory days. No regrets .

If you can, I'd also take a look at some of the early high country rifle deer hunts. You just have to be willing to do a little hiking.

I drew the 3rd season in 2013, if you decide on 66 shoot me a PM I'll tell you what I know, although it's a few years old.

If it’s that much of a dilemma and you need a tiebreaker I would go for the hunt that does not have a full moon happening.
The moon phase could be a game changer if you’re not getting any stormy weather.
For that reason if I were you I would choose 67/4 season.

Here’s another factor to consider.
There will be a full moon at the beginning of third season this year.
Don’t know if that’s something you’re concerned about or not but just something to consider.

I don't like hunting a full moon but the full moon is October 31 which is in 2nd season. With 3rd starting the 7th and running to the 13th, I don't see that as an issue.

I don't like hunting a full moon but the full moon is October 31 which is in 2nd season. With 3rd starting the 7th and running to the 13th, I don't see that as an issue.
Yes you are correct my mistake. The full moon will be on November 15. Right between third and fourth seasons.
That brings up an interesting question. Would the hunting be worse during an increasing moon or a decreasing moon?

Yes you are correct my mistake. The full moon will be on November 15. Right between third and fourth seasons.
That brings up an interesting question. Would the hunting be worse during an increasing moon or a decreasing moon?

That I don't know. I just have better luck seeing deer and elk when it's not a bright moon.

I drew the 3rd season in 2013, if you decide on 66 shoot me a PM I'll tell you what I know, although it's a few years old.
I would like to learn what you found in 2013 in 66 ! I hope to draw with 11 pts on 3 rd this year. I’ve never hunted there or scouted there either . I am looking for a whopper buck but may eat tag soup. Done that many times— sadly. My wife thinks that is NUTS !
Jerry Gold ? Fort Collins, Colorado ?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom