Another PP Ask

CHWino_1

Sitting on 25 NR elk points. I've been a grape grower for 43 seasons and could never go during prime time.
I have a buddy with one less point and we're thinking about doing the two year system.....one hunts, the other is support.
Prefer first rule but have muzzleloaders as well.
Don't want to pay a guide but would consider trespass fee if it would get us in prime territory. Thanks for any help.

You’ve been putting In for 25 years and don’t have a list? You have the Normal unit 61, 2, 10, 201. But not sure if you are there.

Moving to Show Low AZ in April so I'll be closer than I am now. I haven't been trying to draw any elk unit all this time as I've been banking points and hunting other states. Haven't really started looking until as I'm retiring in April.

For muzzleloader/First rifle your options are pretty straight forward; 40,61 and 76.

40 has the best quality of the three but can extremely frustrating in regards to navigating around the large amounts of private land especially during Muzzy season.

61 has high numbers of elk with tons of public land and road access. Killing a bull much over the 300in mark is very difficult. But can be a fun rut hunt.

76 has high elk numbers and arguably some of the prettiest country you will find in all the west. However if you’re not willing to back pack style hunt or have access to horses it may not be your cup of tea. Tons of small 6 point type bulls in the 270ish class with a few breaking the 300 inch mark.

I hunted 76 this year and I will say it’s a fun hunt. I agree with the assessment of small 6s which is what I killed. With the later 1st season this year it was even harder. I’ve been a part of 4 61 hunts and I will say it can be good. Lots and lots of elk and lots of bulls at that. However getting on a good bull is still tough and I know of a few people who have ate their tags. I don’t know a whole lot about 40. But I will say for what I do know is I wouldn’t even bother putting in if I didn’t know the area very well or had access to private. Now if you jump into the nw corner which with your points your not even in the game. It’s a whole different ball game there are definitely lots of 300+ bulls. Depending on physical levels I would rate them from hardest to easiest, 76, 61, and 10 ,201 2 and about the same. I also don’t know anywhere is truly “worth” the points but that’s my 2 cents. there are also a few other draw areas which Which I think produce good elk too. I just don’t know those areas.

Assuming you want a big bull, go with one of the private ranches in 40 muzz season or first rifle. Or, if you don't want to spend the 10k-15k on that hunt, then draw 61 muzz or first rifle and hunt on your own. No way I'd burn that many NR points on 76. The other dream hunts (NW corner) are all 10-20 years out based on your points and current creep rates.

With that many years invested, I would recommend you come to CO during the season you are considering in 2022 and do a "dry run" in the unit you are thinking about. Talk to other guys who have the tag and offer to help them glass, pack out their elk etc. You will learn a lot from an experience like that and likely make some new friends. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for anyone you meet so they will likely be willing to share information, especially if you are willing to help them out with glassing or packing. As a retiree, you likely have the time for this idea and there is no better way to scope out a unit than boots on the ground during the actual season. I'm sure all of the units listed in this string would provide a good experience but if I had 25 nonresident points, I would burn them on a Bosque del Oso rifle hunt. (But only because I know the Bosque like the back of my hand)
That's assuming I didn't have the option of establishing residency in CO and getting the best archery tag in the state.... That would be my first choice:)
Hoopscoach

With that many years invested, I would recommend you come to CO during the season you are considering in 2022 and do a "dry run" in the unit you are thinking about. Talk to other guys who have the tag and offer to help them glass, pack out their elk etc. You will learn a lot from an experience like that and likely make some new friends. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for anyone you meet so they will likely be willing to share information, especially if you are willing to help them out with glassing or packing. As a retiree, you likely have the time for this idea and there is no better way to scope out a unit than boots on the ground during the actual season. I'm sure all of the units listed in this string would provide a good experience but if I had 25 nonresident points, I would burn them on a Bosque del Oso rifle hunt. (But only because I know the Bosque like the back of my hand)
That's assuming I didn't have the option of establishing residency in CO and getting the best archery tag in the state.... That would be my first choice:)
Hoopscoach
The bosque is a fun hunt. Drew the 3rd rifle tag wayyy back in 2010

colorado boy is spot on ,,,with his info, unit 76 , best be great shape because elevation will kill if you if your not use to higher hunting grounds 12000 plus, my advise is higher a guide, pay once cry once just saying, last yr, got my butt handed to me in unit 61 1st season good luck with your decision

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom