Another Score

D

dds

Here are some more pictures, provided by Antlerboy Epperson.

Guess the score. Good luck.

je_1.jpg

je_2.jpg

Darren

I am going to say 120 net, tell me how far off I am. Thanks for these, they help me learn to judge...... Allen......

I would have to say that is one HUGE Coues!!! My best guess would be 132" Gross and 126" Net. What a find!!!

This one is hard to score...

First impression: Gross- Holy Sh*#
Net- Da$%

Second try: Aint no way thats a Coues!
Well, ok, if you say it is...

Third try: 135 gross
128 net

Anywhere close? That is a once in a life time find. Glad you got it mounted. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to put the color back in the horns? I've got a couple that I would like to restore, as it were.

Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter,

First off, I like your initial scores. Those are great!

I will try to get Antlerboy to comment on the taxidermy process and the antler coloration.

Darren

The buck's score is officially 132 gross and 126 6/8" net. As you may have noticed, his G-1s were fixed up during the taxidermy process. The scores reflects the measurements taken prior to having these points fixed.

He has a 17 6/8" inside spread.

Everyone was pretty close. Kent was right on. Congrats!

Darren

Sheesh, finally got a password to get on here.

The taxidermist is from Dewey, AZ. His name is Dan Lee, I'm not sure of the name of his business right now. The guy is amazing and a little pricey but I'll pay top dollar for a top of the line mount any day. He did add an inch to the left eyeguard and as anal as I am about reproductions on antlers, it's impossible to tell what is fake and what isn't on this rack. He filled in places where the squirrels chewed the antlers and the staining job is pretty darn good I think.

Any way, I've enjoyed reading everyones stories and can't wait to talk about Coues deer.
Josh

Ghost Hunter,
I've put the color back in antlers that did not need any filling in. Like where rodents chewed through or pieces missing so I'm not sure if the process I'm going to outline will work on anything but pure antler. The first thing I do is to put some Johnsons Paste wax on the last couple inches of the antler tips so that the stain won't stick to them and they end up looking nice and shinny like the deer has been rubbing them. Next, I get some Jacobeen Mimwax wood stain and stain them. One or two light cotes should do it. Jacobeen is the color of stain and you can get it at Home Depot. After they dry I buff up the tips and rub in the paste wax. Try it on a shed that doesn't mean that much to you first so you can get the process to your liking.

Good luck<
Carl

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom