Another Unit 22 mule deer discussion

bodhi

I know, I know, this unit has been discussed at exhaustion on this forum over the past decade. But we've decided on unit 22 second season for the 2021 deer hunt. cashing in our points to try our luck the first week of November.

I've already talked to several folks on this forum privately who have given me some valuable info on the unit and the condition of the unit. (I sincerely thank you all for that). But I thought I'd open it up for discussion again just to hear from anyone that's hunted there this past year. Any info or past experiences would also be greatly appreciated. Not asking for locations to hunt as we already have that figured out.

one more thing, should we get a bear tag, try our luck at calling for yotes, and bring a weapon for small-game?

Thanks in advance!

B

Country is way to thick to have much success calling coyotes. Hunted yotes there for years. Even calling a lot of stands you are more likely to kill a drive by than a called coyote. Also there will be lots of hunters and the last thing they want is someone calling in the middle of their deer hunt that took years to draw. Bears are rare in the lower areas of the unit but are there. Again it is extremely thick and bears a are hard to find. Only luck I have had finding bears in 22 was either early in September, or driving looking for fresh tracks. I have spend thousands of hours in 22, willing to bet more than anyone you can find. In all that time I have only rant into a handful of bears. All of them were higher on lands that have been since closed. Except for one bear that was running around off county road 5.

As for deer last year, we had the 3rd season tag for my cousin and I can honestly say the deer numbers and buck quality are the worst I have seen in the unit since I started hunting it in 1988. I am since a NR and today the only way I would take a 22 tags is if it was given to me... I surely will not be using any points of effort to get it.

Honestly, sadly, sickeningly, the MT general buck tag in SE Montana was way better hunt this year than unit 22. I mean not even close. Think about that We saw more deer and better quality buck in SE MT on a ) point general tag than we saw on our Colorado Limited Draw only tag that took 10 years to draw.

What has happened to deer in NW Colorado is Criminal...

Country is way to thick to have much success calling coyotes. Hunted yotes there for years. Even calling a lot of stands you are more likely to kill a drive by than a called coyote. Also there will be lots of hunters and the last thing they want is someone calling in the middle of their deer hunt that took years to draw. Bears are rare in the lower areas of the unit but are there. Again it is extremely thick and bears a are hard to find. Only luck I have had finding bears in 22 was either early in September, or driving looking for fresh tracks. I have spend thousands of hours in 22, willing to bet more than anyone you can find. In all that time I have only rant into a handful of bears. All of them were higher on lands that have been since closed. Except for one bear that was running around off county road 5.

As for deer last year, we had the 3rd season tag for my cousin and I can honestly say the deer numbers and buck quality are the worst I have seen in the unit since I started hunting it in 1988. I am since a NR and today the only way I would take a 22 tags is if it was given to me... I surely will not be using any points of effort to get it.

Honestly, sadly, sickeningly, the MT general buck tag in SE Montana was way better hunt this year than unit 22. I mean not even close. Think about that We saw more deer and better quality buck in SE MT on a ) point general tag than we saw on our Colorado Limited Draw only tag that took 10 years to draw.

What has happened to deer in NW Colorado is Criminal...
thanks for the response. Your info is invaluable. thanks agian!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom