Another UT draw question

3TOE

Very Active Member
Let me start by saying that I have already submitted my draw choices for the 2020 big game draw. After reading a few responses to my LE Pronghorn post, I went online to do a little research.
I applied for Zion for the Desert Big Horn. Yesterday as I was looking at the tag quotas & return data, I saw where the state did not issue a single tag to NR for the 2019/2020 hunt.
So here’s my question- Given that they have not posted the # of tags available yet, is it possible that they may not even award a NR tag for that particular unit? If that is the case, then that is messed up!!! Why in the hell would they even allow you to select a unit that they possibly even award a tag for?
If anyone can clarify this it would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
They have 2 different hunts for Any Legal Weapon DS6611 & DS6612. I’m guessing that they are 2 different hunt dates.
I did see where the state awarded a tag for the DS6611 but not for DS6612.
I just got off of the phone with Buckhorn & he said that it IS possible to apply for a unit & the state not award a single tag for that unit.
I have to say... that is completely messed up.
The DNR should either post the tag allocations for each unit before the draw selection starts or contact the individuals that applied for a particular unit allowing them to make another choice before they actually close the draw application process.
With the current process there are potentially who knows how many applicants that the state just takes their money & says thanks, play again next year!!! RIDICULOUS!!!
It’s hard enough to draw a tag & now I’ve learned that the system is inherently flawed!!!

Come up with a better plan and present it to them.

Untitled (Large).jpg

I believe I did in my previous post.
The number of tags allocated for any given unit should be completed & posted PRIOR to the Big Game Draw starting.
If it’s a resource & timing issue, then move the start of the draw back one month.

The DS6612 is a resident hunt only, hence the blue text and the superscript to a footnote. Refer to page 58 for the 2020 regs.

The footnote says:

†Nonresidents may hunt both the San Rafael, North and San Rafael, South subunits—Apply for #DS6610
^Nonresidents may hunt both the early and late any legal weapon seasons of the Zion unit—Apply for #DS6611
BLACK TEXT: At least one nonresident permit
BLUE TEXT: Resident permits only

Last edited:
The DS6612 is a resident hunt only, hence the blue text and the superscript to a footnote. Refer to page 58 for the 2020 regs.

The footnote says:

†Nonresidents may hunt both the San Rafael, North and San Rafael, South subunits—Apply for #DS6610
^Nonresidents may hunt both the early and late any legal weapon seasons of the Zion unit—Apply for #DS6611
BLACK TEXT: At least one nonresident permit
BLUE TEXT: Resident permits only
OK.... I see that now!!! Thank you.

No worries 3T. I hope you draw! I'm about to put in my apps for UT today. I'm sitting on a ton of points (e.g. 23 LE deer pts, etc.) and will be hoping for a random tag on the Henry's!

The odds are slim to none on the desert bighorn, but I appreciate it. ??
I do have a fair shot at drawing on the general deer hunt.
Best of luck to you as well on the Henry’s draw. That would be an amazing hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom