Another Utah outfitter pinched?

JUDAS Hossy!

Glad You Became a MUD DOBBER Rather Than a Warden!

You'd Have All Of Us Arrested!

A major hit to your reputation as a guide if not criminal charges.

A major hit to your outdoor brand.

A lifetime of being an above board outfitter and member of elk committee, erased(possibly) because it paid good.

While I agree hunting an animal you have a tag for is fully legal, sometimes being legal, and being smart aren't the same. Unfortunately, I've read Berry's response, and while it is stand up and accountable, I didn't read "I absolutely was not on the wrong unit"...... Which still floors me that paid outfitters knew where the bull was, but didn't know where the boundary line was.

And yeah, if I was paying a CWMU and something similar happened, I press charges too.

That's why you hire professionals. I'd think job description #1 would be know where your at?
The exact Reason I didn't kill a 385 type Bull on My AZ. hunt this year . I didn't wanna shoot from the road . In middle of nowhere too. ......................Bull!

JUDAS Hossy!

Glad You Became a MUD DOBBER Rather Than a Warden!

You'd Have All Of Us Arrested!

I'd shake BB hand. Tell a judge he was a standup guy, but that don't change anything.

Sorry man. If a DIY plumber doesn't make code that's one thing. If you don't, that's another. It's your job to. Same as a guide

I'd shake BB hand. Tell a judge he was a standup guy, but that don't change anything.

Sorry man. If a DIY plumber doesn't make code that's one thing. If you don't, that's another. It's your job to. Same as a guide
I don't necessarily disagree but, at the end of the day we all make mistakes. Even in our professions. Unfortunately it's a part of being human. So long as people fix their mistakes or at least accept the consequences and don't repeat them, that's about the best that can be done about it....... I know I have made plenty of mistakes in my profession. luckily none that had catastrophic consequences.

I don't necessarily disagree but, at the end of the day we all make mistakes. Even in our professions. Unfortunately it's a part of being human. So long as people fix their mistakes or at least accept the consequences and don't repeat them, that's about the best that can be done about it....... I know I have made plenty of mistakes in my profession. luckily none that had catastrophic consequences.

Absolutely.

But there are consequences. Being a man and taking them shows character.

But we can't selectively apply law.

Look there is a huge difference in the way this is being handled vs. the a lot of other offenses have went down with outfitters. BB is willing to take the accountability if they did mess up. I haven’t seen them play the victim card or trash the peasant gs deer hunter. And that says a lot about the type of person he is. I’m hoping it is a not guilty type case but at least he’ll make it right if not.

I am not condoning what happened but to say that onX is always accurate is laughable at best. It’s not necessary onx’s fault either. They are only as accurate as the info that they are receiving. I know that where I hunt it is really bad.

With that being said, I have hunted a cwmu and I would think that you should know if your on one or not. I did look up what the rule says.

(c) the property exhibits enforceable boundaries clearly identifiable to both the public and private hunters;

If it was not clearly identifiable, I think you would have a case. I know the one I hunted was marked up really well.

I am not condoning what happened but to say that onX is always accurate is laughable at best. It’s not necessary onx’s fault either. They are only as accurate as the info that they are receiving. I know that where I hunt it is really bad.

With that being said, I have hunted a cwmu and I would think that you should know if your on one or not. I did look up what the rule says.

(c) the property exhibits enforceable boundaries clearly identifiable to both the public and private hunters;

If it was not clearly identifiable, I think you would have a case. I know the one I hunted was marked up really well.

"Clearly identifiable"

I hope the game warden in bumblebees case goes to the spot the elk was shot and doesn't see a no trespassing sign for 100 yards and let's him go. Landowners play games. I've watched them drive side x sides on public land to drive game back on to private, I've seen no trespassing signs hundreds of yards from allegedly private land and I've been lightly followed while paralleling private land. It's confusing especially for us non-residents who don't know the country let alone the harassment a local outfitter probably sees. I look forward to hearing the specifics of this case.

I watched bb’s guides drop a hunters bull off to the back of his truck. They didnt cape it. And the hunter was asking around the lodge if he could get someone to cape out his bull.

I watched bb’s guides drop a hunters bull off to the back of his truck. They didnt cape it. And the hunter was asking around the lodge if he could get someone to cape out his bull.
And it sometimes takes 200 posts to get the whole story out. But it ALWAYS ends up that there are 2 sides to them all.

Suppressing information that was publicly posted. Nice.

And this is how people get away with it all the time. Pay off everyone, make it disappear, eventually go away.

Case was dropped today, we were able to show pretty clearly that we did not shoot the bull on the CWMU.

Hindsight 20/20 I should have done a much better job of documenting everything and ensuring all communication was clear. I didn’t and it left questions about conduct that warranted an investigation. The result of that investigation were class b misdemeanor charges filed for unlawful take.

We met with the county attorney in early January and presented pretty clearly that the bull was off property at time of shot and the charges were dismissed without prejudice today.

Since multiple parties were involved I’ll leave it simply enough at that information. Grateful to have it brought to the correct conclusion and for the processes that protect wildlife. Not so proud to have put myself in a position to have to participate in those processes.

Last edited:
Case was dropped today, we were able to show pretty clearly that we did not shoot the bull on the CWMU.

Hindsight 20/20 I should have done a much better job of documenting everything and ensuring all communication was clear. I didn’t and it left questions about conduct that warranted an investigation. The result of that investigation were class b misdemeanor charges filed for unlawful take.

We met with the county attorney in early January and presented pretty clearly that the bull was off property at time of shot and the charges were dismissed without prejudice today.

Since multiple parties were involved I’ll leave it simply enough at that information. Grateful to have been able to have it brought to the correct conclusion and for the processes that protect wildlife. Not so proud to have put myself in a position to have to participate in those processes.
Glad you guys got out on the right side of all these shenanigans.

Since multiple parties were involved I’ll leave it simply enough at that information. Grateful to have it brought to the correct conclusion and for the processes that protect wildlife. Not so proud to have put myself in a position to have to participate in those processes.
I’m glad to hear this…

Not out calling folks knuckleheads, not running his mouth.

Huge difference in class between Berry and others in this State

You sure are bitter about being called a knucklehead when you acted like one.

Didn't have anything to do with class.

Good to hear for everyone involved!

I'll put my charges up against your good friend any time you want
Crying like a stomped puppy for a decade on an internet sight under a moniker is class????

My good friend doesn't come here and cry about members for years. He doesn't hide behind monikers. A reporter asked him a straight question and got a straight answer and your feelings have been hurt ever since.

Crying like a stomped puppy for a decade on an internet sight under a moniker is class????

My good friend doesn't come here and cry about members for years. He doesn't hide behind monikers. A reporter asked him a straight question and got a straight answer and your feelings have been hurt ever since.

Oh sweetheart, WLH is well represented in here. We get lots of new members whenever he's discussed.

Sounds like you did your best to do things right and it worked out good. Glad to see your honesty and integrity pay off for you.
Plus it seems you learned a pretty good lesson and will be doing things a little different from now on to make sure you never get yourself in this position again! Good on you.

Berryblaster-

I’m happy to hear this was resolved in a positive way. Kudos to you for the way you handled a difficult situation. It sounds like you had a good lawyer involved to help present the facts. Live and learn!

Hawkeye

The system worked! The burden of proof is on the Government, they have to prove you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, you do not need to prove your innocence. Obviously, the State could not prove their case and the charges were dropped.

BB, did your client get his bull back? You handled the situation great.

Good luck in the future.

Great looking bull. Hopefully all the meat was saved also. Don’t have a clue what they do with the meat, antlers, and cape in a situation like this.

Great looking bull. Hopefully all the meat was saved also. Don’t have a clue what they do with the meat, antlers, and cape in a situation like this.
We made sure the meat was donated locally to a family that needed it. Surrendered the antlers to facilitate the investigation and the cape is at the tannery. We assume the antlers will be returned to the taxi, and the bull will be mounted as intended.

Really shitty the meat was given away. States always ask for restitution when illegally killing an animal. How about restitution for illegally taking an animal from someone?

Courts state the person is innocent (yeah, ok, go into the argument of they aren't innocent they just aren't proven guilty. I can make the argument the opposite way of the person was innocent and never proven guilty just as easily) so the taking of the meat was illegal......... Right?

At least the meat did not go to waste. Potential crappy situation that came out OK. Trying to turn a guilty until proven innocent attitude is a crappy situation to be in.

Berry, having been thru this, what would you recommend, on the front end, to others that might find themselves in a similar situation?

Thanks.

Berry, having been thru this, what would you recommend, on the front end, to others that might find themselves in a similar situation?

Thanks.
Good question. If you hunt boundaries, be aware of the boundary. ?

I made some assumptions and that made it so I couldn’t authoritatively answer the investigators questions in real time.

Instead of being able to say we shot the bull from this point to this point, I had to say I wasn’t sure which didn’t paint a particularly convincing picture on our side.

After going back up and recreating the whole thing I was able to locate markers at the proper distance from point of shot that coincided within feet of a pin I had sent to the officer as my best guess when the initial complaint was filed. All of that should have been done in real time the night of not weeks after.

Basically just document everything, I was lackadaisical in my actions and while luck landed on my side, I put myself in a position to need to rely on luck.

Doesn't sound like having permission to retrieve the bull was in question, just where the shot was taken and where the bull was standing. Thanks for your advice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom