Another where to move to in WY?

tmbr_hntr

I've been talking about it for a while, but it's now getting closer and closer to my real time to move to WY. My son will graduate this year. My GF is on board with a move. The NW has turned into a liberal hell hole. Time to pull the trigger. It's really down to where.

I've spent quite a bit of time from Star Valley, to Pinedale, Lander around to Dubois. I do like all of those, but I also have a real interest in Cody and over to Buffalo and Sheridan. We'll be taking a trip at the end of the month to visit all of these areas.

For me I would like some land even if it's only a couple acres, but would really like 5-10 or more. That kind of puts the Alpine, Star Valley area more out of reach because of availability. I'm cool with more remote as I can work from anywhere, but my GF has a daughter and such so being closer to some sort of real town is probably a requirement.

So out of the 2 places I've not spent time Cody area, Sheridan area what do you guys think? Give me some pros and cons of each. My income is not tied to a local economy so that is not a real concern, but of course price is always a consideration. Everyone would like to have more for the same price.

For the upper part around Cody area, I would much prefer Thermopolis instead. I also love Riverton rather than Lander, the hunting and fishing is good, and great speedgoat units. Nice developed towns, and have friends there also, who would not leave for anything

Bozeman is nice.
I've also spent time in MT and do love it. It's 2nd on my list. I do much prefer that taxes in WY tho. I also like the hunting more in WY and MT feels like it's going the wrong direction politicly to me. Which is one of my main reasons for fleeing the NW.

I've also spent time in MT and do love it. It's 2nd on my list. I do much prefer that taxes in WY tho. I also like the hunting more in WY and MT feels like it's going the wrong direction politicly to me. Which is one of my main reasons for fleeing the NW.
Missoula

I live a little south of Sheridan. Getting pretty spendy here for property, especially with acreage. Nice area. Great schools. Not as windy as a lot of the state. Good fishing in the mtns. Good elk & whitetail hunting. Fair muleys.

Riverton has good prices for housing and not far from the mountains. We live in lander, more pricy for land and a place. Nicer town than Riverton. Given your situation, Thermop or Worland might be nice. They have some pretty
mild weather.

Don't move to Wy., too many people, not enough antelope.

up against the wall Redneck mother

Hunted Sheridan area many times. Enjoy the scenery of the Big Horns and surrounding areas. Met some nice people as well over the years.

With rumors of 90/10 spreading like wildfire every year wait until Wyo turns into the new Wyoalifornia! I have a feeling this type of thread is going to be very common in the next few years! Good job 90/10!

If I was moving to Wyo I would consider Lander, Cody-Worland, or Sheridan.

Guys I get it! Having grown up in OR in a logging and farming town that is now a f-ing tourist town full up every dip **** from CA and Seattle you can find I would not want anyone moving to my state if I lived in WY. All I can say is I ain't bringing any personal agenda or influence on anyone or any place. I want to live where I can mind my own business and everyone else does as well. The last thing I want in my life is to live in a Nanny state.

One thing I think about WY after spending a lot of time there over the last decade is, not many folks from CA could survive there! Sure, some can in Jackson in some capacity, but I think everyone knows that is not really WY.

I love Cody. Great schools, big enough to have a recreation center. Perfect summer weather. Good hunting/fishing in all directions. Plan on retiring there.

Gellette seems awfully nice to me. Looked like work for most and decent weather compared to most of the rest of the state.
Cody is nice, but didn't see much for the average guy to get a job doing.
I am just a visitor though. But those are the cities I liked.

I live a little south of Sheridan. Getting pretty spendy here for property, especially with acreage. Nice area. Great schools. Not as windy as a lot of the state. Good fishing in the mtns. Good elk & whitetail hunting. Fair muleys.
Rock Springs is nice, Lander would be a close second.
I lived in Cheyenne for 9 years. Been all over Wyoming hunting & fishing . Since 1978 too. Best spots I found were Rawlins, Lander, & Riverton.
Yes- a bit windy in Rawlins at times, but amazing fishing ? all around, like Seminoe Resvr., great antelope hunting, plus deer & elk too. Access to major airports is reasonable. Like Denver & SLC. Real Estate ? prices OK. Don’t go to Jackson , it’s like Aspen now. Same with Cody. Taxes in Wy much better than Mt.
Jerry Gold ???

Anothet factor could be population. Cody has less than Sheridan but cody is a zoo during the summer with tourism. I lived in Sheridan for 4 years and hated it. Cost of living was high. I couldnt find the things i enjoyed like cody has to offer. But I personally could not live in cody but being 22 miles away works perfect for me. Have you considered smaller towns located near Sheridan and cody?

I hear Casper is the place. It has all the good places to eat out, lifetime fly fishing opportunities, and all the doe antelope tags you can buy..:)

If you want to live close to a big city then you might look at Evanston as it’s only 70 miles or a 1 hour drive to Salt Lake and all the bIgger hospitals and healthcare facilities and big city amenities plus the SLC airport. If you want the warmest spot with the mildest Winter conditions in Wyoming then take a look at Torrington and it’s still fairly affordable for land.

If you want to live close to a big city then you might look at Evanston as it’s only 70 miles or a 1 hour drive to Salt Lake and all the bIgger hospitals and healthcare facilities and big city amenities plus the SLC airport. If you want the warmest spot with the mildest Winter conditions in Wyoming then take a look at Torrington and it’s still fairly affordable for land.
Cody you are little over a hour away from billings. Plus no taxes to pay when you go to Montana

If I won the lotto tomorrow, the first thing I would do is buy a piece of land and build a house in Laramie. Next to Augusta, MT, it is one of the last real western towns I've ever been to.

33 years ago when my mom was pregnant with me, dad was hunting near Sheridan. The town of Laramie came up in a few conversations and he phoned home and says "what you think about Laramie for a name?".

My friends call me Lar.

This is a very helpful thread. I too am looking into living in Wyoming for a four or five years. Any thoughts about the larger cities.
Thanks for the info.

This is a very helpful thread. I too am looking into living in Wyoming for a four or five years. Any thoughts about the larger cities.
Thanks for the info.
I live in casper. It is big enough to provide anything my family needs. Close to good fishing and good hunting not far.

It sounds like you are open to all areas in the state and I think everyone has covered those, what about Saratoga (not too far from Laramie and then on to the big city in Denver). Since I am a non-resident, I would only weight my suggestion at 10 or 20% of others on this thread :)

I'm just glad somebody is leaving OR. take some Californians with you.

I already left OR a few years ago after 45 years there. No way that POS state is getting 10% of my income to mismanage the way they do. Not saying WA is much better, but no income tax. OR is on the top of the list of states I would never live in after leaving.

Let’s keep the Montana theme going, Jackson hole.
Slightlysober

You've listed about every town that resembles what I am trying to get away from. How about you move to one of them and let me know how it is ?

I dropped my kid off at the Jackson airport this fall while I was in Dubois for a while. We went into town and got a sandwich and about had a tourist PTSD attack.

new billboard coming in town

IMG_0676[1].JPG

With most of the California/Washington tech companies allowing employees to work from home, WY should see a nice influx of liberals moving there in the near future. Good luck Buzz.

With most of the California/Washington tech companies allowing employees to work from home, WY should see a nice influx of liberals moving there in the near future. Good luck Buzz.
That's what I'm thinking. Work from home. No need to commute.
So weather won't affect us to much. Save allot of $ on taxes and cost of living. And have better access to tags.

That's what I'm thinking. Work from home. No need to commute.
So weather won't affect us to much. Save allot of $ on taxes and cost of living. And have better access to tags.

Then F%4# where do I go to get away from all the liberal idiots?! They have invaded the NW like a plague. Spreading their mental illness throughout. If I can't escape these idiots in WY I guess I'm headed to Panama and done with the US all together. God save us.

Last edited:
I'm glad you don't want to live in OR , spread the word.

We have an income tax but no sales tax and you don't want that.

Thanks for the info.
Lol. Questionable as to whether any of the towns qualify as cities, much less larger ones.

I've been talking about it for a while, but it's now getting closer and closer to my real time to move to WY. My son will graduate this year. My GF is on board with a move. The NW has turned into a liberal hell hole. Time to pull the trigger. It's really down to where.

I've spent quite a bit of time from Star Valley, to Pinedale, Lander around to Dubois. I do like all of those, but I also have a real interest in Cody and over to Buffalo and Sheridan. We'll be taking a trip at the end of the month to visit all of these areas.

For me I would like some land even if it's only a couple acres, but would really like 5-10 or more. That kind of puts the Alpine, Star Valley area more out of reach because of availability. I'm cool with more remote as I can work from anywhere, but my GF has a daughter and such so being closer to some sort of real town is probably a requirement.

So out of the 2 places I've not spent time Cody area, Sheridan area what do you guys think? Give me some pros and cons of each. My income is not tied to a local economy so that is not a real concern, but of course price is always a consideration. Everyone would like to have more for the same price.
dang this ruining never stops, every transplant wants to find open space and build on it. screwing our open space and wildlife winter range as much or more than wolf issues. it will become the place you escaped from. buy an existing house.

Residents sure can't draw buck antelope tags any more.. 1 draw in last 4 tears in easy or 100% draw rates units for my group. Probably drew every year for 10 or 12 years before that (n)(n)

In-laws live in Riverton, never would have gone there to visit on my own. **** hole of a place to live. Don't know why anyone would want to live there.

I like lots of towns in my beloved Wyoming. Many have been mentioned. But I also like Wheatland, Douglas, and I like the smaller towns in Carbon County. Encampment, Baggs and even Elk Mountain if you are a tough bugger.

Kaycee, Meeteetse and Ten Sleep are also great small places.

Crook County is also a good spot. Sundance and Hulett are nice.

Like others have mentioned, look and listen for a while. We're a pretty independent bunch and don't want people moving in who want higher taxes, more govt control, etc.

The bitterroot valley.in Montana
Second largest elk herd in the state,
Home to trophy mule deer, excellent whitetail hunting a few,wolves an occasional grizzly
And its mmuleys home turf
He kills a couple elk and deer every year for the last 30 yrs.has to be good hunting if he never wants to leave.

Do you really think this is a killer storm? With highs in the 40s and 50s and the ease of the winter, do you feel that they might be alright with the warmer temps around the corner?
Highs in the 40s & 50s? Certainly not around Casper. The last two times we had this kind of snow, we had significant losses to deer. Antelope are already below normal in this country and this won't help.

We'll see if there is a response through lower quotas because sometimes there is an unwillingness to be conservative when it is warranted.

I was looking at some listings in Star Valley yesterday and saw about 3 feet of snow and had to ask myself, "how bad do I really want to hunt Wyoming?" :ROFLMAO:

Highs in the 40s & 50s? Certainly not around Casper. The last two times we had this kind of snow, we had significant losses to deer. Antelope are already below normal in this country and this won't help.

We'll see if there is a response through lower quotas because sometimes there is an unwillingness to be conservative when it is warranted.
Ok I was not really sure. I was looking at the 10 forecast and all but one day in the 10 day called for temps in the mid to upper 40s and Friday is supposed to hit over 50. Here we already had a ton of melting, and our forecast is calling for more warm temps. I hope we do not see great loss, but it is pretty serious out there now...

Ok I was not really sure. I was looking at the 10 forecast and all but one day in the 10 day called for temps in the mid to upper 40s and Friday is supposed to hit over 50. Here we already had a ton of melting, and our forecast is calling for more warm temps. I hope we do not see great loss, but it is pretty serious out there now...
We got another 3 inches last night and still snowing.

Sometimes quotas are raised when winter range is not supporting the wildlife. WG&F would rather have hunters take the over population than have them starve to death.

Be interesting to see how much snow in Sybille canyon when we go up to check horses. Pronghorn are starting to funnel back in to area 38 along the highway. As jm77 stated might be bad for them.

Lots of pronghorn units have been beat up pretty bad in the Laramie area from issuing way too many tags for at least the last 5-6 years. Its grim in many of the 40's series units, worse I've seen in 20 years.

Weather forecast is calling for temps in the 50's by Friday and Saturday over there. Going to be water running everywhere.

Antelope quotas are already recommended to be reduced in a wide area in SE Wyoming. I doubt those recommendations will change much. We got pounded too. Most snow I can recall in one shot since 1997. But the flip side is it's great moisture and assures a start to our grasses and might even give a deep shot of much needed moisture to the brush.

I could not move a vehicle for 4 days around home. I pushed snow with the tractor and finally got out on Wednesday. The deer around here were in good shape and appear fine. They are eating on the steepest south slopes and next to trees where it has melted in the riparian areas. They all appear fine. Can't speak to antelope but I've seen pics of them piled (alive) up in lines in the snow.

As has been mentioned, this will melt pretty quickly. South slopes are already opening up, but we still have nearly a foot of settled, heavy snow in our meadows. 50's tomorrow and no big storms predicted for a week, so I think we might be OK. We need moisture, so it's hard to complain when we live in an arid state.

I'm glad you don't want to live in OR , spread the word.

We have an income tax but no sales tax and you don't want that.
As said I lived there for 45 years. I would rather eat my own Sh&% than ever live in that state again. Good luck with the permanent covid/mask regulations your nanny governor is about to impose. Oh... and I didn't even get to how shitty the hunting is. There are only 2 other states in the US I would not live in before OR. CA and NY. Oregon is a Fu*&$ embarrassment to this country!!!

As said I lived there for 45 years. I would rather eat my own Sh&% than ever live in that state again. Good luck with the permanent covid/mask regulations your nanny governor is about to impose. Oh... and I didn't even get to how shitty the hunting is. There are only 2 other states in the US I would not live in before OR. CA and NY. Oregon is a Fu*&$ embarrassment to this country!!!
45 years? Slow learner?

Antelope quotas are already recommended to be reduced in a wide area in SE Wyoming. I doubt those recommendations will change much. We got pounded too. Most snow I can recall in one shot since 1997. But the flip side is it's great moisture and assures a start to our grasses and might even give a deep shot of much needed moisture to the brush.

I could not move a vehicle for 4 days around home. I pushed snow with the tractor and finally got out on Wednesday. The deer around here were in good shape and appear fine. They are eating on the steepest south slopes and next to trees where it has melted in the riparian areas. They all appear fine. Can't speak to antelope but I've seen pics of them piled (alive) up in lines in the snow.

As has been mentioned, this will melt pretty quickly. South slopes are already opening up, but we still have nearly a foot of settled, heavy snow in our meadows. 50's tomorrow and no big storms predicted for a week, so I think we might be OK. We need moisture, so it's hard to complain when we live in an arid state.
I spoke with our district Wildlife Management Coordinator today. He contacted me to ask what I had been seeing for antelope since the storm near and around my property. We found 5 dead today, 4 fawns and a buck and that's not covering much ground at all. He told me there lots of these reports from Douglas to Casper. At minimum he said they were going to eliminate all doe/fawn tags in my area due to this storm.

What few deer we have seemed to be fine.

Saw some pronghorn yesterday that looked ok in areas snow was melting off. Lots of various tracks of herds moving around in Sybille Canyon after the storm. Looked like pronghorn , elk and deer tracks. Some were headed up on the ranch to the wind blown flats, maybe sheds will found this year.
Still can't get in to the ranch we work for from the highway.
Going to chain up this week and go in.
Found a dead calf, bovine, near the highway.

Folks and wildlife are struggling from the storm up that way.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom