Antelope 4 NR point unit

tracker12

Very Active Member
Can someone recommend a unit where a NR can draw with 4 or 5 points. I have a friend that wants to do a archery antelope hunt. Not looking for a trophy hunt. Just looking to get a good hunt in for a 74 year old friend looking to get out.

I've hunted a few units over the years and they all seemed really similar in that I always saw lots of animals but had to look over many(hundreds) to find a next level buck. I don't think you can go wrong simply looking at the draw odds, applying for a unit you can draw, then go enjoy your hunt.-----SS

Just like inflation is devaluing the dollar, point creep is devaluing your points. Point creep has been more significant in every state so far this year. If you really want to hunt this year, look at units that could be drawn with a couple points in 2020 or 2019. Most of those units will not have as much public land. There are still plenty of pronghorn in most units and if you are there during the archery season, you won't have much competition from other hunters. If you put I for a unit that took 4 points in 2019, that unit may take 6 or 7 points this year.

I have factored in for point creep. My buddy has 6 NR points why I am looking for a unit that drew 4. I am not hunting just tagging along for help. We are actually going to hunt during the gun season just using a bow. I am expecting a CO deer tag so we are planning on going to WY after my Muzzy deer hunt.

I have hunted Wyoming antelope many times over the years on 0-3 point units and have had an enjoyable experience every time the bucks I’ve taken have ranged from low 70’s to low 80’s. I’ve never had to hunt more than 2-3 days and typically end up shooting a bucks I passed on day 1 or 2 trying to make the hunt last a little longer. I think that any unit that has a decent amount of public land that takes 4 points to draw would give you the experience you are looking for. I would suggest that if possible, buy the separate archery permit and hunt before the regular rifle hunt. I’ve done this a couple of times and had the unit to myself. Also, this enables you to pick up a type 2 permit and might make drawing a little easier.

I have factored in for point creep. My buddy has 6 NR points why I am looking for a unit that drew 4. I am not hunting just tagging along for help. We are actually going to hunt during the gun season just using a bow. I am expecting a CO deer tag so we are planning on going to WY after my Muzzy deer hunt.
Unless he is really happy shooting a smaller buck, I think he is crazy hunting with a bow during the rifle season. If neither of you have killed a pronghorn with a bow, I recommend you bring a rifle as a back up. Don't forget to look at the hunters orange requirements in Wyoming.

He already has invested a 6 year wait for the tag. May as well make it a more enjoyable experience and hunt during the archery season when you will mostly have the unit to yourself.

We have both killed antelope with a bow. And not looking for a trophy. I have a nice Nevada lope that scored 82 and he has a decent mount. Reason for the later hunt is we are going to head to Wy after my Co muzzy deer hunt. I have archery hunted before during the gun season and done well. Most are done after opening weekend

At least you know what challenges you will face hunting archery during the rifle season. I've been hunting pronghorn in Wyoming for over 20 years now and have noticed a trend that residents and nonresidents are both putting more of an effort into their pronghorn hunts than they did in the past. I've come across a number of residents out looking over pronghorn on weekdays 2-3 weeks into the season the last few years. There used to be hardly anyone after the opening weekend because they were all tagged out.

A little off topic but I completely agree with that Brian. For many the Antelope hunt used to be a "shoot the first decent one you see from the road" type hunt. Thats changing. People are walking farther and taking their time. I think the fact that those tags are getting harder to get is part of the reason. Also, I think more people are recognizing the trophy that a big Antelope truly is and are willing to put in a little extra time and effort to find one.

I don't think it really matters if people are hunting harder when 95% have no idea what they are looking at anyway when it comes to a big goat

I also have 6 points and am not much younger than your buddy. I don't think at age 74 he should wait around for better times. I have hunted Wy lopes at least 10 times over the last 35 years, but as a NR, it has gotten much tougher to draw. Looking at the odds, I cannot see any of the large, public land desert units that I have a good chance of drawing. Makes planning hard. I am thinking of a private land unit with near 100% draw odds and a trespass fee. Save a couple of hundred bucks by not needing the Special Applic Fee, and spend it (and quite a bit more) on a trespass fee. Or accumulate points for another 10 years and see if things work out better for us old guys:ROFLMAO:. I'm gonna have to throw a little money at it. Best of luck on what you decide..........WWB

We hunted unit 47 last year in the Shirley Basin. I don't know that there's a ton of big billys around but it was a fun hunt and we saw 100s of goats a day. I think k it was 4 points each last year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom