Antelope 47-1 and 43-6

stackem

Got drawn for my first hunt and am excited to be coming out. Got a few questions.
How are the roads? Do I need a more aggressive heavier walled tire?
I've got access to an Polaris ranger. Will it be needed?
I'm going to concentrate on my buck first and then go for my does. I'm looking for a good representative of the species.
What about processors in the Casper and Laramie areas?
Sorry for the over load. Appreciate any help.

I'd never drive the back roads and two tracks without 10 ply tires on my rig. Also, if the two tracks and roads that aren't blacktop or gravel get wet may times they are bad enough that you should have chains along and know how to put them on before you need them. If you have the Polaris, I would take it and set up a camp leaving the PU there and hunt out of the ATV. You can google processors for those areas and some should come up. Good luck out there, be safe, and wack a good one!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-17 AT 08:36PM (MST)[p]I hunted 48 without an atv my first time out there. Walked my ass off cuz I had to leave the pickup on the shoulders of the hwy. worked out ok but I take the atv now. Up to you; how easy to bring along, raining, snowing, 70 deg, etc. I was in 47 last year driving around and the roads weren't too bad. Some rock here and there. I always run 10 ply tires.

I've been in that area hunting a couple times. Had rental vehicles, SUV and pickup which never have heavy duty 10 ply tires. Made it around just fine but it's always a bit of a risk off road. It was dry both times but like Topgun said if it gets wet you better be prepared because the dirt turns to snot.

You should have a great hunt, good luck and share your story with pics when you get back.

I have not hunted 43, but have not seen the need for an ATV in 47.

There are some good processors in Casper. My favorite by a wide margin is Junior Pearce's operation. There are large windows between the counter area and the meat processing area and you can see how clean the place is and how nicely they treat the meat.

http://yellowstonemeatpro.wixsite.com/ympwy

If you're planning on hunting either of the HMA's in 43, they don't allow ATV's. If it gets too wet, they don't allow any travel off the county roads.

The roads in 47, in particular the county roads, are good and not bad even when they're wet. I've hunted 47 with a car...

Well, well, well look who showed up. Glad you returned buzz. I hope all is well in your world and you drew a few good tags this year.

>But, did we get rid of
>Tristate???

Apparently not since he just posted a theoretical hunt on the General Forum that's a real dousy!

Field work in 47 years ago and those roads- 2 tracks can get impassable with a good rain. That stuff is slick. Some are fine but some you just don't drive if they are too wet.
One processor in Laramie, Rainbow Meats. He is ok. Don't know the Casper ones.
43 does not allow or need an atv on the HMA.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still trying to get all my gear in check and also deciding if I want to camp or not. I'll hold 9ff on the tires for now.
How long of a shot can I expect? Farthest I'm able.to shoot around home is about 300 yards.

>Thanks for the info guys. I'm
>still trying to get all
>my gear in check and
>also deciding if I want
>to camp or not. I'll
>hold 9ff on the tires
>for now.
>How long of a shot can
>I expect? Farthest I'm able.to
>shoot around home is about
>300 yards.

You should be good to go out to 300, as of all the ones we've shot out there we've never had more than about a 225 yard shot. IMHO part of the fun is closing the distance using the terrain and they are a tiny animal, so the closer you can cut the distance the better. Are you using a tripod or shooting sticks?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-17 AT 11:21PM (MST)[p]I've got a set of stocks that are a tripod, but I'm thinking of attaching a bipod to my gun. It's a Remington 30-06 topped with a Leupold 3x9x40 varx-II with the CDS shooting 165 grain ammo.

Is it best to come out opening week or wait? I'm pretty flexible with my vacation from work.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-17
>AT 11:21?PM (MST)

>
>I've got a set of stocks
>that are a tripod, but
>I'm thinking of attaching a
>bipod to my gun. It's
>a Remington 30-06 topped with
>a Leupold 3x9x40 varx-II with
>the CDS shooting 165 grain
>ammo.
>
>Is it best to come out
>opening week or wait? I'm
>pretty flexible with my vacation
>from work.

Being retired since 2002 I have the luxury of going out all of September and October most years and will again this year. There are a ton of people hunting most places opening week and residents also on weekends, so I prefer late in the seasons when there are very few people left and there are still plenty of animals to hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-17 AT 07:42AM (MST)[p] I would sight in at 250 and be prepared to take a 300 yard shot in 47. You might have a much shorter shot, but maybe not. It is mostly wide open country. Most of my antelope have been shot from a seated position using a tall Harris bipod. It is a little more steady than using a seated tripod or sticks but it is also nice to have sticks handy if the sage is taller.

There are shooting ranges in Casper or Laramie to shoot the rifle a couple of times before the hunt. They charge a very reasonable daily fee of $10 or so.

In 47 you will have a bunch of hunters on the opening days but it is a large unit. You are going to spend time just driving the roads to learn the unit if you have not been there before. It has been a few years since I hunted 47 but if it was me I would let the opening couple of days pass and then start my hunt.

Topgun gave great advice.
If you wait til later in the season pressure will be much less during the week.
If you wait til Oct you may get in some duck hunting in the Basin. Those potholes and small lakes hold some good duck hunting.
Great area you should have fun and get a nice buck. Was through there earlier this summer and saw some good bucks. Fishing is also pretty good on the lakes there.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom