Antelope 48-1

Sheepshooter

My Son and I drew. High school graduation present. If I can swing it we may head back late July / August to scout. If that doesn’t work we’ll had back early and scout for a few days. It’s a 17 hour drive so it’s a haul. While the priority is finding a nice buck for him it sounds like there’s some pretty good fishing in the N Platte River. IF we finish early wouldn’t mind checking out the fishing. Any info on the fish or antelope would be appreciated.

We really like getting off the roads and backpacking if doable would be fun. Almost all our mule deer, blacktail hunts are backpack. I understand driving around and covering country and glassing a lot of animals. Have found sometimes there’s some special animals where most won’t venture to. May be a dumb idea and limit us. Will be applying for Hanna when open. Ordered maps and have been scouring GoogleEarth

Thanks
Steve

Big unit with a large body of water on the Western border called semino reservoir, probably saw it while scouring google earth, pretty tough to miss. There's fish in there, browns, bows, and walleye are what I've caught in there. You can fish it from the bank and there are several places to access it.

Pronghorn numbers have been down for a long time in that unit, poor fawn recruitment is one of the problems according to the area biologists. You wont have a problem finding pronghorn to hunt, you will have a problem finding a place that requires a hike to get to. Roads all over that unit from stem to stern. Like most every other pronghorn unit in the State, sort through a few hundred bucks, know what you're looking at, and you might find a real good one.

Son and I had the type 2 tag a couple years ago. It was his first hunt Fun hunt, plenty of goats on public land to keep him happy. He took his first pronghorn there. Like Buzz mentioned backpacking might be a fun idea but not great on execution. If nothing else, if you get tired of walking one of the dozen folks cruising the countless roads could give you a lift back to your truck.

We applied for the Hanna HMA tags but did not get them. Did not matter we found plenty on accessible land. I did not take a pronghorn but not for a lack of targets just didn't find one that tripped my trigger. Saw two exceptional bucks however. Both were on private and were being hunted by folks with access to private. Saw what looked like an Outfitter camp, but not entirely positive. I think if I had more time to hunt I could have waited them out to cross onto public but it didn't happen while I was there.

Google seminoe and NP fishing and you will find a world of great info.

Good luck to you and your son. You are going to have a fine hunt.

Haven’t hunted or applied ( we were just getting points ) for antelope in a long time in Wy. Was blown away how many points it takes to draw now. I think I had two maybe 3 when I applied and drew 90-1 years ago. There was zero chance of us drawing this year. I’m glad I can still hunt the high country every few years back there.

Bummer about all the roads. But I guess it’s a bonus for folks that aren’t that mobile. Can’t wait to get back there and try to find that special animal. Hopefully we find a nice one for him to pop.

Fishing in certain stretches looks like fun from what I’ve seen. Of course that’s just if the stars line up for a nice animal first.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Son and I had the type 2 tag a couple years ago. It was his first hunt Fun hunt, plenty of goats on public land to keep him happy. He took his first pronghorn there. Like Buzz mentioned backpacking might be a fun idea but not great on execution. If nothing else, if you get tired of walking one of the dozen folks cruising the countless roads could give you a lift back

We applied for the Hanna HMA tags but did not get them. Did not matter we found plenty on accessible land. I did not take a pronghorn but not for a lack of targets just didn't find one that tripped my trigger. Saw two exceptional bucks however. Both were on private and were being hunted by folks with access to private. Saw what looked like an Outfitter camp, but not entirely positive. I think if I had more time to hunt I could have waited them out to cross onto public but it didn't happen while I was there.

Google seminoe and NP fishing and you will find a world of great info.

Good luck to you and your son. You are going to have a fine hunt.
I remember the days you could draw type 2 tags over that way as 2nd choice, I think it’s a thing of the past the way things are looking, slim pickings for 2nd choice for the areas I had.

Got the maps I ordered yesterday. Holy smokes you guys weren’t kidding. LOTS of road. Got the zone highlighted in and a few spots to check out.

We plan on being mobile and just camping at the end of the day.

On the way out if it’s late we might stay the night in a hotel and shower up to destink. I’m guessing Rawlins has a few places to choose from? Anything to stay away from?

My Son and I drew. High school graduation present. If I can swing it we may head back late July / August to scout. If that doesn’t work we’ll had back early and scout for a few days. It’s a 17 hour drive so it’s a haul. While the priority is finding a nice buck for him it sounds like there’s some pretty good fishing in the N Platte River. IF we finish early wouldn’t mind checking out the fishing. Any info on the fish or antelope would be appreciated.

We really like getting off the roads and backpacking if doable would be fun. Almost all our mule deer, blacktail hunts are backpack. I understand driving around and covering country and glassing a lot of animals. Have found sometimes there’s some special animals where most won’t venture to. May be a dumb idea and limit us. Will be applying for Hanna when open. Ordered maps and have been scouring GoogleEarth

Thanks
Steve

Thanks
Steve
Steve-- Do apply for permits in Hanna HMA, lots of area to cover & not many hunters generally & decent numbers of antelope too. Never saw any monsters, but it was fun. Hunting along the Seminoe Lake area can quite good. The fishing can be very good in many areas ! Big fish there. Lots of fun for all. Very enjoyable ! The further north , west, & NW you go from southern entrance of Hanna HMA the fewer hunters you will see & more antelope too. Very enjoyable place to hunt & fish ! Have Fun ! Jerry Gold ? Ft Collins, Colorado

Depending on how long ago Jerry hunted the HMA, its changed a bunch since I first hunted it the year it opened. For the first few years, not too difficult to look over 300-400 pronghorn in there. Not the case anymore. Its probably worth applying, probably worth taking a look at the handful of pronghorn in there just in case there may be a big one. I wouldn't spend much time in the HMA, just aren't the numbers that are found elsewhere in the unit or the numbers there were in the past. Large parts of it are the hunting version of fishing the dead sea.

Depending on how long ago Jerry hunted the HMA, its changed a bunch since I first hunted it the year it opened. For the first few years, not too difficult to look over 300-400 pronghorn in there. Not the case anymore. Its probably worth applying, probably worth taking a look at the handful of pronghorn in there just in case there may be a big one. I wouldn't spend much time in the HMA, just aren't the numbers that are found elsewhere in the unit or the numbers there were in the past. Large parts of it are the hunting version of fishing the dead sea.

Thanks for the heads up. Reading the regs you aren’t allowed to scout it previous to season, HMA. So we’ll check out as much of the unit as possible before the season

The Hanna HMA is a pretty big area approximately 15 miles by 11 miles. I would think antelope shouldn't be too tough to find. Once the season is open take a walk away from roads and you should find them. It looks like 50 permission slips for this years hunting seasons.

Had the tag last year but didn't go until end of the season. The bulk of the antelope herds were not in the HMA. I'd be happy to hunt the unit again without HMA access

Thank you for the information. I know they are where you find them. Years ago one of the biggest antelope I’ve ever seen was in the median of the Hwy along the edge of my zone, monster. Another huge buck was sitting in the shade of a gas well and just stayed there as we drove by. That was strange. Map showed it was public land but wasn’t about to pop him there. My Son has never been on an antelope hunt where he gets to squeeze the trigger and it’ll be cool to show him something different. He’s had to work really hard for the animals that he’s taken so far. I’ve got enough miles on my legs now where I’m not going to pass up an “ easy “ one but I sure like seeing what’s on the other side of the next ridge.

Do you need to apply for the walk in areas? It doesn’t appear so but it says you need to deposit landowner coupons in a box if successful. Where do the coupons come from? Will be calling F&G coming up and I’m sure they’ll set me straight, just curious.
Thanks again
7EC06051-1A9B-4676-808D-98C13C36FEAC.png

Sorry, yes your license will have 2 parts that are detachable at the bottom. One part is the carcass tag you fill out when you harvest your animal the other part is the landowner coupon. There will be little boxes on a fence post to put it in. Not the end of the world if you forget, not really mandatory.

How bout that. Learn something new everyday. I’ve hunted Wy, for deer, for the last 25 years or so. Public land. Now I know what that little other part of the tag / license is for. Good stuff. Thanks

The Hanna HMA you need to apply for one of the 50 permission slips. WYTEX is correct, you don't need to apply or need a permission slip for walk in areas.

Sorry, yes your license will have 2 parts that are detachable at the bottom. One part is the carcass tag you fill out when you harvest your animal the other part is the landowner coupon. There will be little boxes on a fence post to put it in. Not the end of the world if you forget, not really mandatory.
I beg to differ. The landowner coupons are money in the landowners pocket. They are good enough to open up their land to hunting. We should make an effort to get those coupons in the box or at least mail them in if you forget.

Sheepshooter, feel free to do what you want, but seriously jims hasn't a clue what he's talking about. He's never likely even set foot in the HMA, probably just "discovered" it today. It was good when it first opened many years ago, but the pronghorn numbers in that part of the unit are dismal. In general 48 has had crap for fawn recruitment for a lot of years and the biologists aren't really too sure why. They issue about half the tags, or less, than they did in the past too.

Here's the best buck of the 2 my wife shot on the HMA, solid mass and prong:

IMAG0181.jpg

The other buck she killed was 7.5 years old, neat old buck but nothing special score wise.

Another cool buck a good friend of mine from AZ killed in 48 maybe 7 years ago:

Doesn't look like much and this was the last day they hunted. I encouraged him to shoot this buck, he was the dominate buck in a pretty large area, running off lots of other bucks:

IMG_0759.JPG

Crazy mass for an 11.5 inch buck, was 4+ years old (I would guess at least 6.5)

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

Buzz, some pretty good bucks....good job. Like always, you are condescending and very disrespectful....what's the deal? Thanks for the vote of confidence! I've actually hunted quite a few HMA's for antelope, deer, and elk over the years.

I agree....there's lots of country in 48 for antelope to roam. I would definitely apply for the Hanna HMA if I drew the tag. Obviously the more area you have to hunt the better chance you have to score on a whopper. Why not apply...you have nothing to loose. I'm not exactly sure why antelope and tag numbers, fawn recruitment, etc. have anything to do with it....apply for the HMA and you'll have an additional 10 x 15 mile area to hunt!

I beg to differ. The landowner coupons are money in the landowners pocket. They are good enough to open up their land to hunting. We should make an effort to get those coupons in the box or at least mail them in if you forget.
Oh I agree that it's money in their pocket to help with access but they get paid by G&F and the landowners coupon is not a mandatory requirement is all I was saying. No one will track you down and make sure you put it in the box or site you not turning it in.

Buzz, some pretty good bucks....good job. Like always, you are condescending and very disrespectful....what's the deal? Thanks for the vote of confidence! I've actually hunted quite a few HMA's for antelope, deer, and elk over the years.

I agree....there's lots of country in 48 for antelope to roam. I would definitely apply for the Hanna HMA if I drew the tag. Obviously the more area you have to hunt the better chance you have to score on a whopper. Why not apply...you have nothing to loose. I'm not exactly sure why antelope and tag numbers, fawn recruitment, etc. have anything to do with it....apply for the HMA and you'll have an additional 10 x 15 mile area to hunt!

Disrespectful?

I'm giving solid advice from boots on the ground having hunted a unit quite a bit. How many times have you hunted pronghorn in 48 jims? How many time specifically on the HMA?

Go read my post...I encouraged the OP to check out the HMA...here's what I said, typed it slow this time so you don't miss it:

Its probably worth applying, probably worth taking a look at the handful of pronghorn in there just in case there may be a big one. I wouldn't spend much time in the HMA, just aren't the numbers that are found elsewhere in the unit or the numbers there were in the past. Large parts of it are the hunting version of fishing the dead sea.

Im a rule follower so whatever they’re asking us to do we’ll do it. Talked to a really nice lady at F&G yesterday right after I posted the question. Didn’t think I’d get through and have to wait for a call back call. She picked up and explained the process Pretty simple.

Buzz here's Webster's definition of a "troll"

2a : to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content

b : to act as a troll (see troll entry 3 sense 2) on (a forum, site, etc.) … is also notorious, for trolling message boards on the Internet, posting offensive material he himself has written and then suing anyone who responds in agreement.

BuzzH some great animals. I like big, old or different. You’ve got them all right there. Love the crooked horn and the one with all the mass. That type of stuff floats my boat. The rest are great as well. Showed them to my son and his eyes got big and I think he cracked a smile.

I guess I better defend myself even though I really don't think it matters! Yes I've hunted the Hanna. I also constantly scout antelope every time I drive through Wyo (which is pretty often in the summer, fall, and winter). You never know when a favorite unit may have winterkill, predator problems, disease, etc so I'm constantly glassing bucks every year in Wyo. Just because I don't hunt a unit every year doesn't mean that I haven't spent time there!

I drive through a lot of areas in Wyo where I don't have tags checking things out for future hunts. I'm an antelope junky and when I see whopper bucks I get excited and keep note! I also spend a great deal of time each year glassing antelope when friends and family draw antelope, deer, and elk tags.

I'm not exactly sure why Buzz has it out for me but it's pretty ridiculous that every time I post something he hammers the heck out of everything I say. I'll continue to be the better man and not toss trash back in his face!

I still can't figure out why recommending someone to apply for a giant HMA is a bad strategy? What do they have to loose? It's a lot more country available to hunt. You never know, if there is deep snow up north in 48 or surrounding units in October the antelope could push into Hanna HMA and it could be loaded with antelope. The same thing is true in unit 46 to the east! 46 may have slim pickings for antelope in Sept but deep snow on Shirley Rim and basin may push hundreds of antelope into 46 later. Maybe there will be no snow in South Central Wyo this Sept/Oct with plenty of water and good feed....and they will stay where they currently are? Who knows?

Sometimes it helps to think outside the box. Just because there aren't many antelope in Hanna in Sept doesn't mean it won't be loaded with antelope towards the end of the season in Oct. Antelope tend to move with conditions from 1 year to the next and from early to late in the season. Anyone that spends time in the Red Desert knows what happens to antelope once the snow flies!

With that said, nothing says antelope won't be loaded in Hanna this October! What happens if the north end of 48 gets hammered with snow and you don't have a Hanna HMA permission slip?

So I guess if you go with Buzz's advice don't apply for the Hanna HMA. It's not worth applying for and there are no antelope there!

So you're telling me the Antelope are going south, up and over the Shirleys to winter in Hannah instead of heading to the winter range east of Alcova or over in the Basin?

Sheepshooter, you can drive the county road out of Hannah on the east side of the hma and I believe you can also drive the CDK Point road that comes off the main hwy and goes up to the reservoir.

Last edited:
I agree apply for HMAs if they are available, never know when ya might be passing by and see a shooter, better have that permission slip!!!! Even if ya don’t hunt it it’s always best to have that option so ya Apply nothing to loose !!!

Sebastian,

You're arguing with yourself...nobody has told the OP to not apply and look over the HMA.

Show me where anyone said not to apply or check it out.

For the THIRD time now, here's what I said:

Its probably worth applying, probably worth taking a look at the handful of pronghorn in there just in case there may be a big one. I wouldn't spend much time in the HMA, just aren't the numbers that are found elsewhere in the unit or the numbers there were in the past. Large parts of it are the hunting version of fishing the dead sea.

Buzz said...….."seriously jims hasn't a clue what he's talking about. He's never likely even set foot in the HMA, probably just "discovered" it today. It was good when it first opened many years ago, but the pronghorn numbers in that part of the unit are dismal."

Antelope often head south out of the Shirley Basin towards Medicine bow and south to unit 46ish country or north to unit 32 during the winter if snow is deep in the Shirley Basin. They don't have to cross Shirley Mtn. Some cross a small area known as the "Freeze Outs" and some go around to the east of the Freeze Outs and then south. They can obviously go any direction when there is deep snow but the obviously likely won't travel over Shirley Mtn or Laramie Peak.

The point I was making is that antelope travel once the snow flies! An area with gobs of antelope in Sept may be void in October....and visa-versa. Just something to consider when applying for tags in 46, 47, and 48. This can make or break those hunts....especially if you have a type 2 tag that starts in October. It's a pretty easy jaunt for antelope in the northern part of 48 to wander south into the Hanna if there is snow.

This coming from someone that doesn't have a clue and has never set foot in the HMA or those units!

Seems like there is an entire herd that gets wiped out on I80 every winter near there. Im sure that doesn’t help numbers or recruitment on the HMA.

Jims we can read migration maps too, is that where you got your info ?
Also you said you drive around looking but you can't get on an HMA unless you have that permission slip so when were you on it exactly, Hanna HMA ?
It takes more than just snow flying to get them moving, we hunt a migration area every year and drive through one all winter to work a ranch. From my actual observations in the areas I know pretty well, snow cover affects the migration start, the area they make their home for most of the season needs to get some ground coverage in snow to get them travelling to winter range. A snow storm may not even make them think about it yet.
I could be wrong though and admit that but that is what I've seen for 33 years in those wintering areas we hunt and know well.
You are right Jims, once they move to wintering range an area can be very void of pronghorn, but more move through usually, straggle in as they say , until the entire heard has moved to winter grounds.

Take Buzz's advice and apply for the Hanna HMA but don't make it your only part of the area to hunt.

Curious, is the landowner tag a regulation that you have to turn it in or just a recommendation from WG&F for the landowner ?

I stand corrected; it says "coupon shall be" page 10:

" Landowner Coupons: Antelope, Deer and Elk. Antelope, deer and elk licenses shall have two (2) coupons attached: one (1) designated “antelope, deer or elk carcass coupon” and one (1) designated “landowner coupon”. When an antelope, deer or elk is harvested on a landowner’s private land, the landowner coupon shall be promptly detached, dated, signed and delivered to the landowner. Landowner coupons are not transferable. "

WY Stat § 23-3-105 (2014)
23-3-105. Antelope, deer and elk coupons; payment to landowner; kill on federal or state land.

(a) Antelope, deer and elk licenses shall have two (2) coupons attached, each bearing the same serial number as the body of the permit, one (1) designated "antelope, deer or elk coupon" and one (1) designated "landowner's coupon".

(b) The landowner's coupon shall promptly be detached, dated, signed and delivered to the landowner. The landowner, on or before March 1 following the year for which the license was issued, shall deliver to the department the coupon and an affidavit that the antelope, deer or elk for which the coupon was delivered was killed on his land. Upon receipt of the coupon and affidavit the department shall pay the landowner sixteen dollars ($16.00) for each coupon from an antelope, deer or elk license. Landowner's coupons are not transferable. Any unauthorized person attempting to collect any sum for any landowner's coupon is guilty of a high misdemeanor punishable as provided in W.S. 23-6-202(a)(ii). Effective January 1, 2000, the department shall provide a checkoff box on each landowner coupon affidavit claim form that offers the claimant the opportunity to designate the animal damage management board to receive his payment amount for landowner coupons claimed on that form. For each claim made where the landowner has designated his payment to the animal damage management board, the department shall transfer that amount to the animal damage management account created by W.S. 11-6-306 and the department shall retain the fees related to those administrative costs of the transfer.

(c) Repealed By Laws 2013, Ch. 33, 1.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. Had a really fun hunt.

We applied for but didn’t draw Hanna. We arrived Wednesday to scout a bit. Checked out some of the public area in Hanna that we could access. Saw some animals but not a ton. After that evening was getting concerned as we really weren’t seeing much. The adjacent zone was loaded and with some really nice bucks. Thursday morning my sons buddy who came along just for the adventure spotted a great buck. He’s was in a very busy area and we didn’t want to deal with others so we wished him well and were off to see more of the zone. We found more animals and covered lots and lots of miles, by truck. We were really hoping to find some areas to hike as road hunting just isn’t enjoyable and we had spent the past three days driving. Later on Thursday with the help of a free OnX download we found just what we were hoping for. It took quite a bit of hiking but we were able to access the area and it was full of animals, including one that was tremendous. We hiked about an hour opening morning in the dark and were pretty close to where we wanted to be at first light. Had some close encounters with a couple of small bucks that my son passed on. He found a buck that made him happy and made a nice stalk and shot. He’s certainly not the biggest buck we saw but he was thrilled and so was I. His first antelope. I helped them break the animal down and as they were boning him out I went off to try my luck. Had a really, really good buck in the crosshairs at 350 and later 250 but didn’t have a great shot off the shooting sticks in the wind. He was chasing a doe and took me all over the hills. After he chased her over a ridge I thought it was a done deal. I should have an easy shot. Nope. A truck came across the desert, I think illegally, but whatever. Animals scattering in all directions. They were the only hunters we saw on the opener. On the pack back about a mile from the truck I found a buck that I was happy with and took him.

While I’m sure we limited ourselves by not covering more ground in the truck hunting we had the hunt that we had hoped for. Hiked just short of 9 miles and had a ball. Although I was pretty sore the next day. We saw bighorn sheep, elk, deer, bobcat, coyotes, eagle and of course antelope. A great time for sure

Thanks again

76B0D109-B30F-4505-978C-4ED1F34773F2.png

Congratulations glad you were able to get out there and get it done! Looks to me as a great buck. They are fun to hunt that’s for sure.

Well done. That looks like a good buck. I'm happy for your son as well. Nothing better than hunting with your kids.
Antelope hunting is a blast. Too bad most of us can't do it more often.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom