Antelope 75

Mooretitan

My son and dad drew Unit 75 on the random this year. Really excited for both of them. This will be a 1st for both of them. I know there are lots of antelope and this should be a great hunt for them. Looking for a few pointers for those that have hunted the unit.
1. We are going to take a week for the hunt. Anyone familiar with trout fishing opportunities around the area. We love fishing rivers and some streams with spinners and once we tag out would like to get some fishing in.
2. Any suggestions on where to camp that would allow us to access most of the area. More than likely will be tent camping it unless my dad wants to pull the trailer. Any nice camp spots with a little shade would be great.
3. Having to time the hunt is going to be the hardest part. My sons have a Utah deer tag also in October. Trying to balance missing school and getting a good hunt in. They will miss 5 days of school for each hunt. Should we show up a few days early which we could leave on a Tuesday. Scout Wed-Friday. Hunt Saturday-Tuesday and be back to school on Wednesday. Or we could drive out on a Friday and set up camp Saturday, hunt Saturday Night-the next Saturday. We would miss the opener and not have time to scout but would get a full week of hunting/fishing in
4. Trying to plan out a time to come out and scout this summer but also have to get out and scout for their Utah tag. Its possible to swing out for 3-4 days in early August to Wyoming and do a couple days in Utah on the way back. Just have to figure this out. I hate showing up blind and with no game plan for a hunt.

Thanks

If your son is young (first antelope hunt), I'd spend time getting him comfortable with finding an antelope in the scope quickly and able to shoot at distance. I took my son rock busting in the desert before his first antelope hunt. we would walk along, I'd pick out a rock on a hill then have him drop down and shoot it within 15 seconds. We'd practice at all different ranges with me ranging and him doing the rest.
It was hard for him at first, but on the hunt he performed perfectly on his first try.
Unless you are looking for monsters, do internet scouting and find out what roads lead you where. Save your time and energy for hunting during the season.
I've never hunted 75 but I've hunted just south a couple of times. Be sure to have good maps and don't get caught crossing through little private sections that are not marked even on a two track. Some outfitters are quick to call the Sheriff if they catch you crossing their leased ground.
We always nomad camp/hunt for antelope. We pack tent and everything in the back of the truck and hunt all day. Then set up on BLM land when it gets close to dark. In the morning we get up and have breakfast, throw everything in the back of the truck and off we go again. You need to take extra gas, etc. That might be hard if you have too many people tagging along but it works great for my son and I.
I know 75 used to issue tons of tags so the opening weekend can be a circus. My son and I choose to go a few weeks later when the bucks are rutting and the circus has settled. We also choose to hunt during the week to avoid competition.
Those are a few of my thoughts.
Best of luck

Go later in the season. Don’t worry about scouting. Have a gps or onx with the boundaries. It’s not about finding antelope, but more of which one. Numbers have been down but still should be a good hunt.

Thanks for the input. Looks like opening weekend is going to be the best time for us to get out there with how everything lines up with other hunts, school and other kids events. I know we will have some pressure opening weekend. Hopefully by Monday/Tuesday most will have left. We will have to look over a ton of goats and stay off the trigger if we are going to get a good one.
Thanks for the info.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom