Antelope around Buffalo

270Whatelse

I will be hunting with my dad who has an elk tag near Buffalo and was wondering about getting a left over antelope doe tag if possbile for a nearby unit. It looks like unit 102 always has leftovers but is almost all private. The only public spots i see are a big chunk by Kingsbury ridge maybe? Ive never got an antelope and would like to just get an extra doe license becuase its cheap and would extend our hunt a bit. Any other suggestions or areas would be great.

Howdy,
When you say near Buffalo - will be you north or south of there? You could find plenty of doe antelope left overs in unit 20, 22, 21 and maybe 113. Kind of depends on when you will be in the area. Unit 20 will have lots left over and if you want I can PM you some info. Also 22 will have plenty. Anyway, let me know and I can give you some info and places to check out.
Oh and I would get more than one tag, they are fun to hunt and if taken care of are mighty tasty critters:)

You might try contacting the regional f&g office. Get a landowners list for the units you are after. I've had great success with landowners and taking does. Just be polite and tell them you are after does. Good luck and do get a few tags. Its very fun and addicting.

The area depends on when you plan to be in this area for the elk hunt. Numerous land owners have no problems with killing does. South of Kingsbury is another section that does hold antelope as well. The mountian also has antelope on it. If you chose an area that you are interested and the time frame you planning would be helpful.

Thanks for the replys and sorry for not getting back sooner but I;ve been real busy with work and the kids! My dad has the unit 35 elk tag which is by far the #1 priority but i thought maybe i could try and get a doe antelope after(if?) he tags out. So the closer to Buffalo the better. We will be there approx Oct 13-22? Would really like to go on public if possible dont really want to mess around with asking for permission on private if you know what i mean.

I think you will have major problems right around Bufflao with almost all the land being private. There are always a bunch of goats in a huge irrigated field on the south side of the freeway when I get off at the first exit into town from the east. My guess is you could go down in there and get permission from whoever owns it if you are only looking for a doe or two. You might ask at the locker plant that is right off the exit as you head into town on the main drag and they may know who to contact. That's about as good as I can do for you because there is hardly any public land in that area close to town.

This is the area I hunt and like most have said the vast majority of it is private land. There are however 2 walk in areas within minutes of Buffalo. I have not hunted either but did scout the area behind the dump. You will find goats there but plan to work hard. It gets a lot of traffic. The area that Topgun is speaking of is really impressive to see. The rancher that owns that wont let you hunt the fields but he does have 10,000 acres above that and 5000 acres down the road that you can hunt. The 10,000 acres gets a ton of pressure but there are plenty of does. Tell him your only interested in does and give him your claim tag. I'll be out there a week before you and can't wait. Good luck.

Here are a few antelope around buffalo. Ha Ha

9.jpg

Good luck on your hunt if you go. BB

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom